DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini2 : Is signal loss part of your normal flying experience ?

JIS_en_France

Reactions
I have owned my Mini2 for about 6 weeks, during which time I have watched countless tutorial and practised safely. However, despite the claimed max flying distance being 10km / 6miles I have found that the ax distance is really 2km / 1.25 miles before the red bars sink to one and the screen goes blank. The first time this happened I paniked however, the RTH really does work and, within 15 seconds normal service had resumes and I was able to regain control and return home a different route.
Last week, I purchased a Yagi antenna which claimed to improve the range by 30% (having swapped to the 5.8 MHz frequency). It may make a difference but it's not really apparent. I still have more or less the same limit of 2.8km / 1.74 miles before we lose all connection.
Having said all that, if one is supposed to keep the drone within visual site then flights become relatively pointless anyway save for nearby photography ....

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
The 10km you quote are transmission distance is fcc mode and are entirely dependant on the environment you are flying in ie and obstructions to the signal. In France I believe your drone will be flying CE mode which has reduced power in the transmission signal and hence a reduced range. I think I am correct here but if I'm no please somebody correct me. ?

I have owned my Mini2 for about 6 weeks, during which time I have watched countless tutorial and practised safely. However, despite the claimed max flying distance being 10km / 6miles I have found that the ax distance is really 2km / 1.25 miles before the red bars sink to one and the screen goes blank. The first time this happened I paniked however, the RTH really does work and, within 15 seconds normal service had resumes and I was able to regain control and return home a different route.
Last week, I purchased a Yagi antenna which claimed to improve the range by 30% (having swapped to the 5.8 MHz frequency). It may make a difference but it's not really apparent. I still have more or less the same limit of 2.8km / 1.74 miles before we lose all connection.
Having said all that, if one is supposed to keep the drone within visual site then flights become relatively pointless anyway save for nearby photography ....
I would have hoped the videos, esp if for beginners would actively state that the "max range" (corporate marketing) for the drone is not REAL WORLD. Then issues like you have being a newbie would not exist or be far less.

Each flying environment is very different from another and so signal loss can happen at 50 meters depending on that environment and how high or low you fly. That is part of the learning process for flying a drone and it does take time and experience. We can't always see all the interference that may cut signal strength and create signal loss. You have to learn how to deal with it the more you fly.

If you think VLOS is so restrictive - look at adding some strobes so they are more visible than a light gray tiny drone in a gray sky. The nav lights on most drones are useless. Yet, VLOS is a rule for many of us and you have to find ways to extend that to have fun flying. Maybe bring a friend to be your spotter so you can be 100% on the screen and flying the drone - not trying to multitask and then losing sight (which happens for all of us at some point when flying solo).

Should be easy to find great places to fly in France and Europe to keep the drone within limits and it be fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121