DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mishap & motor problem

CraigVMN

Reactions
Went up today flying over the Mississippi river. It was windy, but the flying went OK. While the bird was sitting on the landing apron, a gust blew up and sent it & the bird flipping & skidding on the blacktop :mad:

The gimbal was going nuts (of course) and there are now scrapes on the bird. The biggest issue is, one of the motors doesn't want to spin up, or even spin freely. I can turn it by hand, but it's stiff. Any suggestions on next steps to repair the problem would be most appreciated.

If drone got flipped over onto hard surface, rotor axis propably took significant hit when "landing".
And either bent axis or damaged bearing would definitely result motor not spinning well.

So not much options other than to replace motor.
Even if you managed to somehow get it to spin smoothly again, it couldn't be trusted.

I checked and there's nothing lodged in the motor. I was hoping to never have to do the dreaded tear down, but it looks like I have no choice Grr.

Add me to the list of people who would love to see a more modular system, with plug-in connectors, and ease of swapping out broken parts.

If the motor shaft was bent, you may be able to see that by looking at the gap between the base plate and the motor bell. I would try a good blast of air before I got the screwdrivers out.
Plug connectors add weight,cost,and take up space. That’s why you don’t see them.
Hope the junk comes out of the trunk so you can fly!

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
If the motor shaft was bent, you may be able to see that by looking at the gap between the base plate and the motor bell. I would try a good blast of air before I got the screwdrivers out.
Plug connectors add weight,cost,and take up space. That’s why you don’t see them.
Hope the junk comes out of the trunk so you can fly!
Thanks for the advice, but I have resigned myself to the fact that the motor is shot. I have already started the process of disassembly. I have since found I need a long shaft torx screwdriver to get at two screws. Now I am off to order a new arm & motor.

Thanks for the advice, but I have resigned myself to the fact that the motor is shot. I have already started the process of disassembly. I have since found I need a long shaft torx screwdriver to get at two screws. Now I am off to order a new arm & motor.
Would you send me the old motor? I would like to see what failed.
I’ll pay for shipping.
Thanks

Reactions: MS Coast
I am happy to report that with the help of some YouTube video's my drone now has a new arm/motor and is operational again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty