DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missing flight records on smart controller. New firmware update bug or just a general bug?

Horus303

Reactions
Hello,
M2P with smart controller. Just updated firmware recently. Got out and flew today (I usually hook the smart controller to mobile hotspot, I suspect that the connection was dropped at some point. During flight today though)
Anyways came back and noticed that none of my flights today were recorded In he flight log.
Synched, restarted the controller, turned o. The drone and connected to controller while making sure it’s connected to WiFi, cleared local flight cache and still only showing all my previous flights and none from today?
Any ideas where those flight logs physically live and how to get them to show?

N.B. Not sure if this is relevant but I also had the dji go 4 app quit a couple of times mid flight. No warnings no lost signal just the app quitting. That’s new to me so I don’t know if it’s the new firmware update to the smart controller or what? Not sure if it’s related to the flight logs issue as well or not. Was flying at 300ft altitude max and within 1000 feet max. Never had any obstacles on the way or got any warnings.

Thoughts?

There have been issues See here with the SC update Jan 6th which was updated further Jan 11th which has cured many of the obvious issues.
I have not had chance to fly since I sorted out my issues so not checked for any problems with the likes of logs. I did see one post that suggested there was an issue with SD cards. Do you have one installed and are you using it for data storage by default? @CaptHook pointed out in the See here post linked above that there was an inconsistency with some cfg data files on his SD card and advised a format.

Other than a suggestion that your missing logs may be SD card related I have no other input except to ask did you update on the SC via Wifi? If so that may not have played well even if it worked. Some like me had big problems in allowing SC to update over Wifi while others didn't. DJI are fairly insistent that all updates of the SC should be done via the Assistant and not on SC via Wifi. Don't ask please! I know not why.
EDIT: Found the post I thought I recalled the text of which is:

Updated 2 smart controllers using DJI Assistant 2. I initially got the version with Quickfly in Chinese, the next day I connected the SC to Assistant 2 on computer and selected "refresh". Chinese is not English and mostly everything is fine. Did read about log files only going to internal storage instead of SD card - I haven't messed with that.

Haven't noticed any instability, though obviously there were a few goofs, still flys fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horus303
There have been issues See here with the SC update Jan 6th which was updated further Jan 11th which has cured many of the obvious issues.
I have not had chance to fly since I sorted out my issues so not checked for any problems with the likes of logs. I did see one post that suggested there was an issue with SD cards. Do you have one installed and are you using it for data storage by default? @CaptHook pointed out in the See here post linked above that there was an inconsistency with some cfg data files on his SD card and advised a format.

Other than a suggestion that your missing logs may be SD card related I have no other input except to ask did you update on the SC via Wifi? If so that may not have played well even if it worked. Some like me had big problems in allowing SC to update over Wifi while others didn't. DJI are fairly insistent that all updates of the SC should be done via the Assistant and not on SC via Wifi. Don't ask please! I know not why.
EDIT: Found the post I thought I recalled the text of which is:

I did update on wifi. And it was a smooth process with no issues.

Hello,
M2P with smart controller. Just updated firmware recently. Got out and flew today (I usually hook the smart controller to mobile hotspot, I suspect that the connection was dropped at some point. During flight today though)
Anyways came back and noticed that none of my flights today were recorded In he flight log.
Synched, restarted the controller, turned o. The drone and connected to controller while making sure it’s connected to WiFi, cleared local flight cache and still only showing all my previous flights and none from today?
Any ideas where those flight logs physically live and how to get them to show?

N.B. Not sure if this is relevant but I also had the dji go 4 app quit a couple of times mid flight. No warnings no lost signal just the app quitting. That’s new to me so I don’t know if it’s the new firmware update to the smart controller or what? Not sure if it’s related to the flight logs issue as well or not. Was flying at 300ft altitude max and within 1000 feet max. Never had any obstacles on the way or got any warnings.

Thoughts?
When you say the App quit, what happens? Just gone back to opening screen? Some folks inadvertantly hit the BACK Button next to the left joy stick. There's also a similar back button on the screen in that area just below the joy stick. Hitting that can exit the app.

I am having the same issue with Smart Controller and had this issue before the update.
No logs intermittently, and some of the logs come No Map - with a solid internet connection..
The app is not quitting for me.
99% sure it's not the SD card.
We need to figure out what is causing this. No having logs in not good - in the event of a crash you have nothing to show.

Reactions: ff22
I was able to do the update via Assistant 2. Installing via the SC itself never stuck. Took for a test flight and all seems to be good. However, the flight logs were not syncing anymore. Not the DJI flight record nor the AirData sync. I posted about this on another thread and got this help. It works. But I don't know yet if I'll have to do this every time I want to sync!

"The flight records are now saved to Internal memory even if you have 'save to SD card' setting:
Internal shared storage\DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord
If you want to have them sync,
in the SC file manager, browse to that location/file(s), long press it, and move (or copy) to:
SD card\DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord
Now it will show up on the home page flight records and can be synced."

My observations disagree with that.
First the directories you mentioned had exactly the same files in them.
Then formatted the SD card and all records were gone from the home page flight records. I resynced and the SD card directory was re-populated.
BUT STILL NO NEW FLIGHT RECORDS when I do a flight.

Looks like we will all have to wait until DJI sneak out second update to the previous Jan 6th dud.

Hardly worth tinkering around IMO as Android settings are clearly not sticking for some of us.

@Done can you confirm whether you updated via SC and Wifi or via Assistant as that seems to be a contributing factor in some cases.

If Assistant works for you and there is the option available to rollback to say version .530 or earlier you might try that?

You say you had issues before the recent update. Was that .530? Were there no logs then? Maybe you should have rolled firmware back then but you may still be able to do so now if concerned with lack of logs as indeed we all should be. There is no chance of rollback via SC and Wifi that is for sure.

Maybe you could use a phone or tablet until firmware fixed? Don't hold your breath!

How can you use a phone or table with a Smart Controller? I'd like to know this.

By borrowing, if you can a standard controller.

My bad assumption, sorry.

I have access to both a standard controller used for dual control and also a CystalSky which of course also needs a standard controller and I wrongfully assumed in the spirit of helpfulness that you might have access to similar.

Apologies. Looks like you will have to wait on an update or rollback.

Anyway - good luck to us all with the issue.

Ya, well I just purchased a "dumb" controller off ebay because my employer requires me to use apps that don't run on SC.
dual control ? You can do that with SC?

When you say the App quit, what happens? Just gone back to opening screen? Some folks inadvertantly hit the BACK Button next to the left joy stick. There's also a similar back button on the screen in that area just below the joy stick. Hitting that can exit the app.
just quits with no warning and gives me a message "DJI go quit working" goes back to the original splash screen as when you turn on the SC, then I just tap connect and it goes on as usual.
I can confidently say I did not hit the back button in any of these instances.
I "refreshed" the latest update through DJI Assistant and magically one of the last two missing flights showed up in the flight log, the other one shows up but as just a one minute flight (it was at least 20 min with a lot of footage shot) so I suppose it was really an issue with the over the WIFI update. I am hoping the weather gets better here so I can go test it out and see if all issues resolve but its 12F here and with wind chill feels like -2F! I really would like to keep my finger tips and my nose so I will wait until it gets a bit warmer:))

I was able to do the update via Assistant 2. Installing via the SC itself never stuck. Took for a test flight and all seems to be good. However, the flight logs were not syncing anymore. Not the DJI flight record nor the AirData sync. I posted about this on another thread and got this help. It works. But I don't know yet if I'll have to do this every time I want to sync!

"The flight records are now saved to Internal memory even if you have 'save to SD card' setting:
Internal shared storage\DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord
If you want to have them sync,
in the SC file manager, browse to that location/file(s), long press it, and move (or copy) to:
SD card\DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord
Now it will show up on the home page flight records and can be synced."
Agree, updating through dpi assistant seems to solve part of the issues (one of the missing flights showed up, the other shows up but truncated)
both locations you mentioned have the same exact files and copying one to the other didn't make any difference though

Looks like we will all have to wait until DJI sneak out second update to the previous Jan 6th dud.

Hardly worth tinkering around IMO as Android settings are clearly not sticking for some of us.

@Done can you confirm whether you updated via SC and Wifi or via Assistant as that seems to be a contributing factor in some cases.

If Assistant works for you and there is the option available to rollback to say version .530 or earlier you might try that?

You say you had issues before the recent update. Was that .530? Were there no logs then? Maybe you should have rolled firmware back then but you may still be able to do so now if concerned with lack of logs as indeed we all should be. There is no chance of rollback via SC and Wifi that is for sure.

Maybe you could use a phone or tablet until firmware fixed? Don't hold your breath!
yes, the dji assistant has the options to either refresh your current firmware (which I did since I originally updated over wifi) or to roll back to a previous version.
I just refreshed the new version and got back my missing flights although one of them with incomplete flight data, may be permanent damage happened with the faulty installation. will give it another try before deciding to roll back to a previous version

Reactions: Gindra
Ya, well I just purchased a "dumb" controller off ebay because my employer requires me to use apps that don't run on SC.
dual control ? You can do that with SC?
I believe I saw the option to designate either primary or secondary controller on your smart controller running the latest firmware update, not sure if its there in older versions or not, may be check the release notes

well thanks everyone for the input
here is where I come to:
I originally updated the firmware on wifi and at the time it seemed to go smoothly with no hiccups, and since there is semi-consensus it can be problematic I "refreshed" the latest update through DJI Assistant and magically one of the last two missing flights showed up in the flight log, the other one shows up but just as a one minute flight (it was at least 20 min with a lot of footage shot) so I suppose it was really an issue with the over the WIFI update. I am hoping the weather gets better here so I can go test it out and see if all issues resolve but its 12F here and with wind chill feels like -2F! I really would like to keep my finger tips and my nose so I will wait until it gets a bit warmer:))

Reactions: Gindra
You may have a short flight log because of the app crash. The entire flight might actually be there (minus the time the app wasn't running but in separate files, and the app may be reading only one of them. Merging the files might fix it. Make a backup copy of the original ones before trying to merge them though.

new kernel update on Monday, 4.4.83, I believe it is now from memory some say its fixed the log problem

NOT MY PIC, TAKEN FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Attachments

• 073247pylhjiiulih9jlo0.jpg
    073247pylhjiiulih9jlo0.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member