DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM 2.7K Video Issue - Anyone seen this before?

ppgandyg

Reactions
I was launching my Mini for fun on roof of my building. I connected and camera was working, so I started flying. I realized then I wanted to switch to 2.7K so I selected it and started the video while flying.
I then received a notice on my screen about the airspace and to enter an unlock code. I tried following the steps but nothing worked. Since I had control over the drone, I kept flying. At this point I couldn't see the camera feed through my phone, just the unlock screen. After about 10 minutes of flying and presumed video taping, I landed without incident.

Upon transfer of the .MP4 video from the SD card to my computer, none of several video editing software could open the video. I tried a video converter, it wouldn't open it either.

Then put the SD card back in the Mini, connected to the controller, and transferred the video file to my phone. The DJI app will open the file, but the video colors are terrible, almost completely washed out (see below).

After replaying the events in my head, it may be possible that i switched from 1080 to 2.7K during the recording process, thereby corrupting the video...not 100% sure either way.

Could the unlock screen prompts have corrupted the video also? Was it because the drone and camera connection to my phone was somehow disrupted? Or just a random error?

Any thoughts?

Any thoughtsScreenshot_20200115-181352.pngScreenshot_20200115-181341.png

Upon transfer of the .MP4 video from the SD card to my computer, none of several video editing software could open the video. I tried a video converter, it wouldn't open it either.

Then put the SD card back in the Mini, connected to the controller, and transferred the video file to my phone. The DJI app will open the file, but the video colors are terrible, almost completely washed out (see below).
This is because the video file was not properly closed. When you put it in the drone and started it, it did finalize the recording file.

After replaying the events in my head, it may be possible that i switched from 1080 to 2.7K during the recording process, thereby corrupting the video...not 100% sure either way.
Right click on the video file on the PC -> open Properties and go to Details. The displayed resolution is from the recording. If you see 1920x1080 it's 1080p if it's 2.7 K it will show as 2720x1530. Oh.. i see.. resolution is displayed in the picture. So it's 2.7 K indeed.

Could the unlock screen prompts have corrupted the video also? Was it because the drone and camera connection to my phone was somehow disrupted? Or just a random error?
Not sure about that, but I'd like to ask if you ever recorded 2.7 k video before. This is related to the sdcard you use, as it needs to be one that can sustain the 40 mbit write rate for the video. If the card is not a UHS-I Speed Class 3 or above it might be just corrupted when you tried to switch.

1579201915609.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WooZie
Thanks for the replies. The MicroSD came with the bundle, Sandisk 128GB extreme, packaging seems to be legit, retail packaging.
I will also look at the exposure, that could be it. I had taken some manual exposure photos a few days before. I'm unclear if the manual adjustments of camera settings are independent of video settings.

I am new to the App, and occasional issue activating menus on my small phone (Pixel 1), trying to touch /activate an icon the size of a pin head with my fat fingers!
Otherwise just flying...my Mini with DJI's controller...has been great so far.

Note that although the video stream specs would suggest a U1 card could handle it, specs also say you need to use a U3 card. Not sure if that's actually true or just DJI regurgitating specs established since Air. If it is true, I wish DJI would say why.

Anything occurring in the app should not affect video stored on the SD card mounted on the AC. The cache video can certainly be affected though.

Indeed a corrupted video file may indeed be caused by powering off the AC before having stopped the recording. Powering the AC back on with the AC installed usually corrects that.

Is it possible you accidentally bumped the EV setting while trying to deal with the geofence issue? That certainly would have the video appear washed out if you set it too high. No other manual settings are available for video on the MM at this time.

Reactions: netsonic
DanMan32, those are plausible, good observations. I made a 2.7K a few days before, so I think the card is OK.
Because I couldn't see what the camera was seeing, maybe I changed the EV or something else, accidentally. Too many unknown variables here.
In the future I'll pay more attention to orderly pre- and post-flight checks.
I'll continue to read and research the Mini instructions, thanks everyone!

Reactions: netsonic
Indeed it is over exposed. Once I used an SD card from mobile phone of my friend and got error message the video couldn't be captured since the SD card speed is slow - or something similar. But I don't know the exact card type we used but there is a kinda speed check.

It is overeposed. This has nothing to do with SD card speeds. More likely the camera setups got changed when attempting to change resolution. The exposure is off a lot, more than 3 stops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR