DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM flying wild

KB4MTO

Reactions
I have mentioned on other threads that I am getting more comfortable with the MM, so I have been pushing the limits. I am more comfortable with the sticks and how the drone acts in C mode. So I have been flying in P mode with a bit more speed. As a result, I have done some weed eating in the fields. I haven't had any crashes, but I have flown into some weeds and landed in the grass twice. Each time I noticed nicks in the blades so I replaced them.

On Friday I was doing some flying between trees and branches and flying low in the field. I also did some fast circular flying around a lake to get used to adjusting the sticks to stay on course. It was a good day flying. On the way home I found what I thought to be a great video shot. It was railroad tracks with trees on both sides. So yesterday I drove out there and proceeded to fly the tracks. It was a horrible flight. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep the drone flying straight. I was about 4' above the tracks and it would drift to the right. So I bumped the right stick to bring it back and it would continue off to the left I bumped the right stick again and it would drift off to the right, over and over. Also, on a few occasions, the drone started dropping altitude as it flew forward. I would bring it back up and it would stay up for a while and then start dropping. It did this in both P mode and C mode and with 11 satellites showing on the controller. I finally gave up.

Today I replaced all of the props. I did a compass, IMU, and RC calibration. I then flew it out in front of the house, and in C mode it tracked perfectly. In P mode it still drifted a bit, but I was able to easily correct it and that was with the drone flying about 2-3' off the ground. I did this with 11 satellite connections.

What I found was when I was replacing the props, the rear props were very loose, all 4. I know when I change the props, I tighten them until the screw won't go any further and then check the prop for clearance (to make sure the screws went in straight). I don't know if I just missed it last time or they started backing out, but I'm guessing that was what the problem was yesterday. When I flew today, the props were all tight.

So this new experience has brought about some questions. Is P mode less accurate or stable than C mode? Because today the drone drifted a little in P mode but none in C mode. Is there an altitude that if I fly below it the drone is less accurate? Yesterday I was flying around 3' above the tracks. Today I was flying 2 - 3' above the street. Is the drift normal in P mode, or maybe is it normal when flying so close to the ground, or maybe it is normal but not noticeable at 50'?

I have searched the manual and these threads. I don't know if the calibrations did anything to help, but I am sure that the loose props were causing yesterday's unusual flying patters, it follows the behaviors found by others with warped props. Maybe both needed correcting. But I am trying to find out what behaviors are normal between modes and also at different altitudes.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Just a thought, when you changed props did you use new screws? if not, carefully and sparingly put fresh blue Locktite on the screw tip.
That may not have been the issue but is a factor to consider, cheers.

Reactions: TheFunker
Just a thought, when you changed props did you use new screws? if not, carefully and sparingly put fresh blue Locktite on the screw tip.
That may not have been the issue but is a factor to consider, cheers.

Yes, I always replace the screws. I will even discard a screw if it starts going in sideways rather than straight in.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's these kinds of suggestions that could be easily overlooked.

Check the vision sensor isn't covered or obscured by dirt. The thing to check is the tiny downward facing camera underneath the drone near the back. When flying under 10m high that helps the drone hold position much tighter than what it can do just on GPS.

Check the vision sensor isn't covered or obscured by dirt. The thing to check is the tiny downward facing camera underneath the drone near the back. When flying under 10m high that helps the drone hold position much tighter than what it can do just on GPS.

Thanks scro. I just cleaned the camera with a camera lens cleaner and then let it out with compressed air. I did notice sand or grime coming off the front arm joints on the bottom of the drone, so maybe the camera was dirty as well. It wouldn’t surprise me as the field I fly in is a dusty field. I will test it out tomorrow.

Reactions: TheFunker
>>>Is P mode less accurate or stable than C mode? Because today the drone drifted a little in P mode but none in C mode

I think the answer is that with faster motor speed any imperfections would be exacerbated in the P mode. One of the shortcomings of the MM is the lack of ability to adjust sensitivty of stick movements. At this point I'll use sport mode only in straight lines because I know that any miscue of the sticks can instantly send my Mini into an obstacle, even if said object looks a safe distance away, especially when the drone it pointed toward me.

I think the answer is that with faster motor speed any imperfections would be exacerbated in the P mode. One of the shortcomings of the MM is the lack of ability to adjust sensitivty of stick movements. At this point I'll use sport mode only in straight lines because I know that any miscue of the sticks can instantly send my Mini into an obstacle, even if said object looks a safe distance away, especially when the drone it pointed toward me.

That makes sense. I have flown in S mode a few times and it can get away from me pretty quick. I only do it in a large clear field.

Reactions: vindibona1
That makes sense. I have flown in S mode a few times and it can get away from me pretty quick. I only do it in a large clear field.
I only use the sport mode in a clear field or up in the sky when I want it to get somewhere faster or need quicker motion perspective from up there.

Reactions: KB4MTO
I use s mode whenever im going against the wind ( I usally try to fly against the wind on the way out to advoid battling the wind on the way home)

I often use S mode, even when filming. I find the extra speed helpful when doing sweeping orbits and higher level flybys as they don't require speeding up to an unnatural speed to maintain interest. A little bit less aggression on the sticks and you can get quite fine control of your flight, even in tight spaces. I've flown in S mode inside with no issues. Good training for honing the gentle-touch stick movements ?

...No matter what I did, I couldn't keep the drone flying straight. I was about 4' above the tracks and it would drift to the right. So I bumped the right stick to bring it back and it would continue off to the left I bumped the right stick again and it would drift off to the right, over and over...
Perhaps the steel rails were affecting the compass.

Reactions: CatWhisperer
Just a suggestion, the MM is so low to the ground that it kicks up loose sand dirt ETC. May be a good idea when you land always land on a landing pad. I own 2 MP and have landing skids on both of them, which raise the aircraft 4 inches above the ground. And, also have two landing Pads, one out of wood, the other collapsible for traveling, fits into my back pack. So, when I go to secluded area, if I have to walk thru large crowds people do not see my drone at all. I don't have a need for speed, I am on the other end of the spectrum slow. Every now and then, a little more speed will be needed like flying over sunflower field this weekend.

I have mentioned on other threads that I am getting more comfortable with the MM, so I have been pushing the limits. I am more comfortable with the sticks and how the drone acts in C mode. So I have been flying in P mode with a bit more speed. As a result, I have done some weed eating in the fields. I haven't had any crashes, but I have flown into some weeds and landed in the grass twice. Each time I noticed nicks in the blades so I replaced them.

On Friday I was doing some flying between trees and branches and flying low in the field. I also did some fast circular flying around a lake to get used to adjusting the sticks to stay on course. It was a good day flying. On the way home I found what I thought to be a great video shot. It was railroad tracks with trees on both sides. So yesterday I drove out there and proceeded to fly the tracks. It was a horrible flight. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep the drone flying straight. I was about 4' above the tracks and it would drift to the right. So I bumped the right stick to bring it back and it would continue off to the left I bumped the right stick again and it would drift off to the right, over and over. Also, on a few occasions, the drone started dropping altitude as it flew forward. I would bring it back up and it would stay up for a while and then start dropping. It did this in both P mode and C mode and with 11 satellites showing on the controller. I finally gave up.

Today I replaced all of the props. I did a compass, IMU, and RC calibration. I then flew it out in front of the house, and in C mode it tracked perfectly. In P mode it still drifted a bit, but I was able to easily correct it and that was with the drone flying about 2-3' off the ground. I did this with 11 satellite connections.

What I found was when I was replacing the props, the rear props were very loose, all 4. I know when I change the props, I tighten them until the screw won't go any further and then check the prop for clearance (to make sure the screws went in straight). I don't know if I just missed it last time or they started backing out, but I'm guessing that was what the problem was yesterday. When I flew today, the props were all tight.

So this new experience has brought about some questions. Is P mode less accurate or stable than C mode? Because today the drone drifted a little in P mode but none in C mode. Is there an altitude that if I fly below it the drone is less accurate? Yesterday I was flying around 3' above the tracks. Today I was flying 2 - 3' above the street. Is the drift normal in P mode, or maybe is it normal when flying so close to the ground, or maybe it is normal but not noticeable at 50'?

I have searched the manual and these threads. I don't know if the calibrations did anything to help, but I am sure that the loose props were causing yesterday's unusual flying patters, it follows the behaviors found by others with warped props. Maybe both needed correcting. But I am trying to find out what behaviors are normal between modes and also at different altitudes.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
What firmware are you using? Just curious

Thanks for all of the replies. I took it out yesterday and it flew beautifully. I did all of the calibrations, but I’m guessing it was the loose blades. I’m now checking them every day that I fly before my first flight.

I was hoping to fly today, but was dealing with severe thunderstorms so I will try again tomorrow.

Its nice to have a check list. I have six check lists. Some I check every time I fly others as needed.
# 1 Preflight Checklist at Base.
# 2 Pre flight Check list (in field)
# 3 Takeoff procedure
# 4 After takeoff procedure
# 5 After landing check list
# 6 Emergency procedure.
Very important, what to do if you get a Critical Error Message.

Its nice to have a check list. I have six check lists. Some I check every time I fly others as needed.
# 1 Preflight Checklist at Base.
# 2 Pre flight Check list (in field)
# 3 Takeoff procedure
# 4 After takeoff procedure
# 5 After landing check list
# 6 Emergency procedure.
Very important, what to do if you get a Critical Error Message.

Great info, I don't have any and would like to have checklists. Do you know where I might get get some?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929