DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM Folded Rear Prop Bending per DJI Instructions

rumitcu

Reactions
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but even when the Mavic Mini rear props are folded per DJI's instructions to fit in the Fly More case, they get bent which could be a contributor to the uncommanded descent issues that many of us have been having.

Here is how DJI's instructions in the case say to fold the rear props:
20200425_182121234_iOS.jpg

But look at the angle of the rear motors relative to the body (~4 degrees) and the corresponding effect on the angle of the rear props. In this image, they are clearly pointed downward away from the body.
20200425_192326333_iOS.jpg

Look what happens when one of the motors' props are rotated in per DJI's instructions. The props begin to make contact with the body and experience a very small bend to them.
20200425_192343396_iOS.jpg

Now look what happens whens the second motor's props are rotated inward for storage per DJI's instructions. By nesting the props in this position, they truly do begin to bend, although I can't say if this is enough bending to partially cause the uncommanded descents. I encourage you to try this with your Mini to assess this for yourself.
20200425_192359393_iOS.jpg

There are two alternate ways to store the rear props without putting much strain on them.
1. Overlap them facing forward and under the camera guard as shown here. I'm considering mounting some rubber bumpers on my camera guard to assist with this placement.
20200425_192445234_iOS.jpg

2. Similar to some leaked Mavic Air 2 photos, the props are under no stress at all when placed parallel to the rear arms. However, the Fly More case doesn't allow for interference-free storage in this orientation without modding the bottom bump in the storage compartment.
20200425_192417491_iOS.jpg

I'm curious what other folks think about this.

-Pat

I think it's when they try to put the quad in the case and the props flop into a parallel position that's when the damage occurs, not when they're placed together and bend ever so slightly.

Reactions: scro and Tweeter
How do you know that? To date, I don't think anyone has been able to intentionally produce the effect by storage. And if the props are becoming damaged simply by following DJI's own instructions, that is a huge issue.

I always remove the props on my mavic 2 pro , after every flight
This about the Mini not the M2P but I’ve never took those off but to change them and never have had any issues. Lets stay on topic here though.

There's a void below where the rear props sit in the fly more carry case. Even though the angle of the motors causes the blades to hang low, no pressure is put on them. The weight of the drone is borne by a hump that presses against the underside of the body where the cooling vents are, and not on the blades.
20200412_160245-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought the mini props where removable, I didn't realise they where screws holding the props,

could you not put some soft foam in the bag to give some padding to protect the drone? or wrap the drone in bubble wrap

could you not put some soft foam in the bag to give some padding to protect the drone? or wrap the drone in bubble wrap
If done as per instructions, storing the drone in the DJI case isn't a problem. Laying the drone, folded up, on a table or flat surface might be, as some of the weight is borne by the quite delicate blades, however they're stowed.

I store my drone in a camera bag , I have the flymore case but dont use it. its a lowpro aw200.

I'd thought about using a camera bag or similar for my Mini, but the props aren't easily removable, are quite "floppy" and quite easy to snag on things so I've stuck with the DJI combo case. It's actually quite practical and generally well designed, though has a few "quirks" too.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
before I got a replacement mavic 2 pro I used to wrap the deone in bubble wrap to protect it, in my bag. when I got the new M2P it came with packing perfect to keep the drone safe in my bag

My single rubber band holds my props just fine - no issues so far.

Attachments

• Mini-props.JPG
    Mini-props.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: Rtodasr
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but even when the Mavic Mini rear props are folded per DJI's instructions to fit in the Fly More case, they get bent which could be a contributor to the uncommanded descent issues that many of us have been having.

Here is how DJI's instructions in the case say to fold the rear props:
View attachment 99600

Thanks a lot !

As I didn't buy the Fly More Combo I had never seen this image showing DJI folding props recomendations.

All the best

R.

I got the fly more combo, but don't remember seeing this image either. After a little bit of trial and error I ended up unwittingly following these instructions. @steve_lyt the Mini is quite a delicate drone compared to other DJI drones. The spark and mavic pro 1 at least are built like tanks in comparison! I expect a lot of plastic was shaved off to hit the <250g target. As a result it needs good protection when packing it away.

my replacement drone came with the drone packed in a mavic 2 shaped piece if form that's what it travels in my camera bag in.

I got the fly more combo, but don't remember seeing this image either.

when did you buy it? Mine is 3 weeks old and the sticker is there

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov