DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM or MM2?

Andy2278

Reactions
Hi all. Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but wanted to get some opinions of MM and MM2 owners.
I have previously had a P3A then MA, then (due to Uk laws around drones) hung up my flying goggles!

I’m now in a position to buy a new drone. As a part time job I do some photography work (weddings etc) and would like to have the option of a few “interesting and different” shots ie aerial pics.
My question is, is it worth the extra £200 for the MM2 combo? I can currently get the MM combo for £350. Obviously I don’t need the huge range of occusync 2.0 as it’ll be a few shots up in the air, maybe a short video clip. The only thing that pulls me to the MM2 is RAW support, but is this worth £200??

Again sorry if this has been discussed before, I just wanted some advice before purchasing (probably tomorrow as it’s payday!!)

Honestly if you can afford the extra money you should go with the Mini2. Occusync isn't just about range it also has to do with the quality of the connection. At really short ranges in an open field you may not notice it but in even a suburban area a few meters in one direction vs another can be strikingly different for reception and the Mini2 handles it a lot better. Add in to that the better speed, which also contributes to better wind performance, as well as the much better camera and it becomes much more apparent why it costs more. Your shots will be a lot clearer when you factor in both the better camera and wind resistance. It's an exaggeration but the Mini is more like a simple point and shoot while the Mini2 is closer to a dslr with optical image stabilization.

Honestly if you can afford the extra money you should go with the Mini2. Occusync isn't just about range it also has to do with the quality of the connection. At really short ranges in an open field you may not notice it but in even a suburban area a few meters in one direction vs another can be strikingly different for reception and the Mini2 handles it a lot better. Add in to that the better speed, which also contributes to better wind performance, as well as the much better camera and it becomes much more apparent why it costs more. Your shots will be a lot clearer when you factor in both the better camera and wind resistance. It's an exaggeration but the Mini is more like a simple point and shoot while the Mini2 is closer to a dslr with optical image stabilization.

I agree with everything you’re saying. My issue is that the Mini is a really good price and I’m not sure how much I’m going to use it I’m my photography work. I love drones and have had some great times with my old ones, but I still get that anxiety when it’s far away from me (hence the not needing occusync). At the moment the biggest negative for me with the MM for my needs is the lack of RAW. I’m literally looking at doing the wedding/photo shoots then popping a drone up for a couple of elevated shots of large groups etc. It’s a tricky one. £350GBP for MM Combo £550 for MM2 combo ???

Hi all. Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but wanted to get some opinions of MM and MM2 owners.
I have previously had a P3A then MA, then (due to Uk laws around drones) hung up my flying goggles!

I’m now in a position to buy a new drone. As a part time job I do some photography work (weddings etc) and would like to have the option of a few “interesting and different” shots ie aerial pics.
My question is, is it worth the extra £200 for the MM2 combo? I can currently get the MM combo for £350. Obviously I don’t need the huge range of occusync 2.0 as it’ll be a few shots up in the air, maybe a short video clip. The only thing that pulls me to the MM2 is RAW support, but is this worth £200??

Again sorry if this has been discussed before, I just wanted some advice before purchasing (probably tomorrow as it’s payday!!)
Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. I have posted this several times now on MP but if it helps:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery life.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Future update may allow the Smart Controller to be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

Reactions: Robyhe and Andy2278
The Mini should not be considered. The Mini and the Mini 2 look alike... but looks are decieving. There is really no comparison between the two. Just the difference in handling in wind makes this a no brainer.

Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. I have posted this several times now on MP but if it helps:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.

Thanks for such an excellent and extensive summary!! I’m pretty certain I’m ordering the Mini 2 later. It was just the Mini was a great price!!

1. OcuSync 2.0
6. 4K video 30 fps.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
That pretty much sums it up in its entity. Spend the extra and be done with it rather then somewhere down the track have some regrets. You neglected to add the quick transfer but majority of required attributes are already factored.

Is there a third choice (that doesn't have the word "Mini" in it)?
Yeah, but not weighing in at under 250g (which makes quite a difference on a 100km 6day backpack hike through mountains) and not without cumbersome LiPo self discharging often bulging/bloating/popping-out-of-AC battery technology. Love my Mini :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha