DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM propeller maintenance replacment Q

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

Sorry for the stupid question, but I can't find a straight answer anywhere.
What is the life span of the MM type of props? (Foldable) Let's say I do not hit anything with them, are they wearing off at the place of attachment? I guess everything wears off, I have 7 hours of flight in some strong winds, and noticed props have a slight play that was not there before, I checked the screws they are tight, but the play is still there.

I have seen MM props on ebay, they are eg. white with different color strips, and they are called "low noise"; they do not look like DJI props, are third party props fine to use? It seems like the guys in Asia have the prop game together. MM was just released, and they are already offering low noise props, or it is one of the scams you pay a few bucks and never chase them because it was just a few bucks...They seem to be a quarter of the price of the original props.

Also, did prop like below qualified to be changed? Is there best practice, golden rule around props?

Thanks for any tips.

IMG_6097.jpg

I got a slight nick like yours a taking off in the house a few hours ago. Long story but it bumped into my jean covered legs and caught the tip of one of my fingers, probably the blade tip hit it. Smarted for about 5 - 10 minutes, looked like it might have been bruised but no cuts. It looks perfectly fine now.

only use genuine DJI props myself,the props are quite loose where the screw goes through even when they are new anyway, they are not meant to be tight i would check for any cracking around the hub hole during normal maintenance and inspection,with the slight damage to the tips take a fine sanding block and just remove the rolled bit carefully do both props to keep balance

Thanks a lot again for your tips gentlemen. I always keep original parts on everything, as the savings are not worth potential hassle and risk.

I have seen some props that look similar to the RAF logo (colors a bit off but...) when spinning, and it just looks cool...Having said that, props are one of the most important parts in AC so will I pass, after all looks are not that important anymore, I would rather have stable AC :)

I nicked my prop flying in the basement, I had prop guard on, and decided to turn off the light to see what happens :) well it started to drift when I flash the flashlight underneath and I grabbed it by the guard but I stuck my finger a bit too far for fraction of the second. I will not turn off the light again for sure :)

Reactions: old man mavic
only use genuine DJI props myself,the props are quite loose where the screw goes through even when they are new anyway, they are not meant to be tight i would check for any cracking around the hub hole during normal maintenance and inspection,with the slight damage to the tips take a fine sanding block and just remove the rolled bit carefully do both props to keep balance
I have managed to create a rounded/rolled edge on my props as well due to an indoors crash 30 seconds in to the maiden flight(lol), and grazing a rock that was used to hold down my landing pad when taking off.

I was thinking that sanding the props smooth again would be the best way to go about cleaning them up, though they still seem to fly fine.

the whole design of the props have been arrived at after a lot of clever people in Rand D have done their work the material used how they flex production costs the tooling needed to produce them etc ,to us they look like a sliver of plastic shaped like a prop but they are so much more, if you check them regularly for damage etc they will give many hours of service

If you bought a fly more combo and are concerned, I would swap them out just to be safe since there are plenty of spares/screws, but it looks just like normal wear and tear. They're a bit thinner than the usual props, that weight had to be cut somewhere to get it down to 249 g, but we haven't had any unreasonable wear/tear.

I actually damaged one of my propellers & replaced it. Later on I was watching a YouTube video & they mentioned that you should change both of the propellers & use new screws. I didn't do that as I did not realise this. Would this really be a big issue? Propellers are not available in the DJI store.

I actually damaged one of my propellers & replaced it. Later on I was watching a YouTube video & they mentioned that you should change both of the propellers & use new screws. I didn't do that as I did not realise this. Would this really be a big issue? Propellers are not available in the DJI store.
I see them in store for $10

it would if they came loose in flight plus the thread lock is one use only

That was my next question, I'm assuming DJI gives screws for a reason, I noticed a small amount of thread lock is one of them. I have also inspected using my 20/20 iPhone magnifying vision if the screw have a sign of wear, but they don't. So if anyone is using old screws tiny bit of thread lock is probably the way to go, losing prop in flight might not end up well ;)

I did a small experiment, I let the drone hover inside over my checkerboard (sensors should have an easy time to lock into the position) on the damaged prop even that little tiny bit, drone was locked in place but slightly moving, not even moving, it was more like little tiny dance few mm each way all the time. I have replaced the prop with brand new and this thing doesn't even budge, locked in a place totally solid, I can see the difference with my eyes. I would not expect that tiny bit makes a difference. I will polish the old one and see if it changes anything. In a flight I can't tell the difference it felt the same.

Thanks for being brave and admitting to your little collision, I felt bad for a moment about being clumsy and I really take care of my stuff, but I guess they are so tiny and delicate it is not the question if, but WHEN you gonna nick it.

That was my next question, I'm assuming DJI gives screws for a reason, I noticed a small amount of thread lock is one of them. I have also inspected using my 20/20 iPhone magnifying vision if the screw have a sign of wear, but they don't. So if anyone is using old screws tiny bit of thread lock is probably the way to go, losing prop in flight might not end up well ;)

I did a small experiment, I let the drone hover inside over my checkerboard (sensors should have an easy time to lock into the position) on the damaged prop even that little tiny bit, drone was locked in place but slightly moving, not even moving, it was more like little tiny dance few mm each way all the time. I have replaced the prop with brand new and this thing doesn't even budge, locked in a place totally solid, I can see the difference with my eyes. I would not expect that tiny bit makes a difference. I will polish the old one and see if it changes anything. In a flight I can't tell the difference it felt the same.

Thanks for being brave and admitting to your little collision, I felt bad for a moment about being clumsy and I really take care of my stuff, but I guess they are so tiny and delicate it is not the question if, but WHEN you gonna nick it.
the main reason for changing the two props after a contact with something is balance as you observed even a slight difference can cause some vibration in the motor and the body of the drone it would also over an extended period cause wear in the motor bearings and in extreme cases it will show up in the video playback

Any chance do you guys know what is the RMP range of those motors, I'm just curious.

For the record, the propellers are listed in the DJI store, but they are not in stock. if you run through the props in your Fly More Combo, you may be out of luck for a little while.

Reviving this thread instead of opening a new one.

I am asking the same question, i.e., any particular recommended number of hours before I should change the propellers of the Mini.

The assumption here is that the propellers are not damaged, nicked, bent, or otherwise deformed, whether slightly or not.

I am just taking about regular, good practice, preventive maintenance.

@icecoldgin if you have lots of props, then its really up to you how many flights you do with them as a set ,and then change them out ,if you are a commercial flier ,you would cost the prop replacement into your charges ,and you would say in your opps manual ,that you change and discard them at a set interval ,say 50 flights ,for me as a hobby flier i keep inspecting mine and as long as they are not damaged or showing signs of wear then i fly with them no one can really specify a service life for props ,as there are so many variables in play ,just use good judgement and do whats best for you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom