DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM - Red Canyon, Utah

SW_Drone_Guy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So, I'm still trying to fly with more control and to improve my post-production skills. As you can see, both are in need of improvement. The colors of these canyons and hoodoos varies immensely and the Mini has difficulty handling all the various values presented by the sun and cloudy sky. I also had a near-death-experience in Red Canyon, but that's another story for another day...
Hope you enjoy:
Happy flying

So, I'm still trying to fly with more control and to improve my post-production skills. As you can see, both are in need of improvement. The colors of these canyons and hoodoos varies immensely and the Mini has difficulty handling all the various values presented by the sun and cloudy sky. I also had a near-death-experience in Red Canyon, but that's another story for another day...
Hope you enjoy:
Happy flying
I agree with your assessment. This is fine first effort. The scenery is gorgeous and you were able to actually get drone images of those magnificent hoodoos which would be strictly illegal in the national park (Bryce Canyon) of the same formations. However, the flying was unplanned, randomized and un-coordinated. Try to formulate a flight plan and keep to city- not a random shoot here, shoot there, yaw left and right, etc. The color grading needed some toning down of the over exposed hoodoos. The final landing needed to be edited out.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
Hope you enjoy:
Happy flying
Beautiful scenery and great early effort but try to edit out any jerky motions

Thanks SW Drone Guy (and assistant)!
I would love to travel that area in the 5th Wheeler RV that passed under the arch.
Look forward to you applying some of the tech stuff advised by DD above and seeing some future productions...but a job well done.
Safe flying mate ....from Down Under

Thanks, all. I appreciate the constructive criticism and agree with Dale D, Jet Skier and also the kind words of Mavic Maxwell. I look forward to improvement and love seeing the video work of others, because it always inspires me. Thanks

I love the scenes, being from sw florida it is something I don't get to see often, you had some great advice on how to improve your overall video. Excellent first video though.

Hope you enjoy:
Happy flying
Great first effort! Beautiful area. Excellent length for subject. Loved the perspective shots from above.
Recommend resisting the urge to tinker with camera direction.

Great first effort! Beautiful area. Excellent length for subject. Loved the perspective shots from above.
Recommend resisting the urge to tinker with camera direction.
I have a very small, picayune comment. I loved the video but at the transition from the first music to the second music, I thought that there was a bit too much delay (about 5-6 seconds) before the 2nd music started. I would have liked a smooth transition, even with some overlap as tone track fades down and the new music track fades in. Try to learn this fading of the sound technique in your editing. It is very effective.

SW, I have many hours shooting helicopter aerials and about one hour flight time on my new Mini 2. :)

If that’s your first attempt, you did extremely well. The first shot, the arch reveal, is an extraordinarily difficult move. I’d have required several rehearsals in the camera ship to execute that perfectly. Making that move requires that you know exactly what to do IN ADVANCE. Not possible unless you have rehearsed it.

I‘d suggest turning off auto exposure and auto white balance to avoid distracting changes during flight. This has the added benefit of focusing your attention on a single shot at a time.

I have photographed the red rocks country in the SW many times. They are notoriously difficult to render colour-wise and exposure-wise. Shooting in lower, less contrasty light will help. IE near sunset or at dawn.

For camera guys, one of the main goals of editing is to hide our mistakes. :)

Lister knows his $hit, I agree with all he said. Your early effort is REAL GOOD. Aside from rehearsal another huge help is adjusting your controller settings, slow gimbal speeds with braking, slow yaw with breaking, expo setting are even better IMO but more complex. Sometimes just framing it up right and flying straight on is great anyways. . . like you did.
I did an epic desert shoot recently and not locking the white balance hurt me color grading. . . Cut, cut and cut more cut at any jerkyness, cut out as much as possible. . . .with music beat is way nice . . .
Auto exposure settings can be useful if your say, going to orbit a big tower on the light and dark side a mile away . . .
I enjoyed your video and want to get out there myself. My Buddy Randy, big tube channel, "America's Parks" literally just released a video of this same area. He did a great job but drone shots are not his main camera focus . . . I was with him when I shot this video.
It starts at the main drone sequence, I wish I had done better honestly, I only flew one battery at one location . . . was getting dark fast.
I have tons of wild mountain climbing videos, many with drone footage, if I'm not a wilderness area, if your looking for ideas or inspiration . . . check'em out.

Great stuff, Karlewski. Some superb shots in there.

Orbiting a subject while keep it smoothly centered is incredibly difficult with a drone, especially if you've got less than an hour of flight time. :)

One of Ken Heron's shows featured a cop flying a $40K drone. He said that the secret to flying success was "Practice, practice, practice.....PRACTICE"

I agree and one of my shots in there was the orbit while descending. I have gotten a couple in my career with all that plus a gimbal tilt to match the decent but only a very short portion of it looked good. . . one can only juggle 4 balls for so long, and for me, it's not that long, LOL. I used to build, sell and compete in RC glider combat competitions while I was a professional paraglider pilot so I got some serious stick time though different controls on the glider.
The real trick for me is to LOCK IN, get the rotation and the sideways flight inputs matched up and looking good then lock my fingers there while very carefully giving some elevator "up" input without disturbing the yaw. . . low rates is the real key, especially yaw. The tracking modes are darn sweet when they work too especially if you give some inputs while in a tracking mode. . .Personally, I think the factory control settings for yaw are stupid fast unless your FPV racing which DJI stuff is not . . .
The truth is, compared to a shrimpy foam glider the DJI drones are ROCK SOLID. Barely notice a 40MPH gust of wind . . .not correction needed, most small aircraft would be 1/2 way to Kansas, LOL

If you're an experienced RC pilot, then you have it WAY over me. I really need a lot of stick time. I can photograph, I just can't fly. :)

Agreed. The controls are too sensitive. And they keep changing direction, depending on which way the drone is looking! :) Aghh! Something I'm having trouble with.

"Locking in" is something I've been trying to learn. Getting all the various rates dialled in, then holding absolutely still and then just changing one very slowly seems to be the right idea. Thanks for that.

In my helicopter days, it was always apparent that this was a two person job. It took one guy flying the aircraft and one guy shooting the film. There was no way either of us could ever do the other guy's job. Now, I gotta. :)

On the Mini 2, I see that you can adjust the sensitivity of all the controls. Once it quits sn*wing here, I'm going to dial all the controls to minimum and see if that helps. Like driving, you can never be too smooth.

All that whining aside, I'm amazed at how DJI has automated so many of the flight ops. The very fact that you can easily hand launch/land is astonishing.

I haven't had so much fun in years.

If you're an experienced RC pilot, then you have it WAY over me. I really need a lot of stick time. I can photograph, I just can't fly. :)

Agreed. The controls are too sensitive. And they keep changing direction, depending on which way the drone is looking! :) Aghh! Something I'm having trouble with.

"Locking in" is something I've been trying to learn. Getting all the various rates dialled in, then holding absolutely still and then just changing one very slowly seems to be the right idea. Thanks for that.

In my helicopter days, it was always apparent that this was a two person job. It took one guy flying the aircraft and one guy shooting the film. There was no way either of us could ever do the other guy's job. Now, I gotta. :)

On the Mini 2, I see that you can adjust the sensitivity of all the controls. Once it quits sn*wing here, I'm going to dial all the controls to minimum and see if that helps. Like driving, you can never be too smooth.

All that whining aside, I'm amazed at how DJI has automated so many of the flight ops. The very fact that you can easily hand launch/land is astonishing.

I haven't had so much fun in years.
I really enjoyed reading all of the comments in this thread. We all come from various backgrounds, but virtually NOTHING prepares us for drone photography! We ALL need practice. From my point of view, I am a retired ophthalmologist. For 38 years before retirement, I performed intricate eye surgery with a microscope. This required binocular vision through the operating microscope, bimanual manipulation of tiny eye instruments inside the eye (cataract surgery with placement of a new lens or intraocular lens), and removal of the cataract through a 1.5 mm incision, using a vibrating needle (like a mini jack-hammer) to break apart the cloudy lens (cataract). The manipulation of the microscope (focusing, and x-y movements)using the right foot pedal, the control of vibrating needle inside of the eye (phacoemulsification) with a left foot pedal, (bi-pedal coordination) and the manipulation of both hands on instruments inside of the eye, required the simultaneous use of two eyes, two hands, and two feet!

So flying a drone brings along the needs for all of these skills as well. Added to this is the art of photography, the complexity of photoshop and/or video editing, and the the skill of three dimensional flying nearly out of our line of sight, all make us a special group of very skilled hobbyists.

Dale
Miami

• Love
Awesome, Dale. I'll quit whining about how hard it is to fly and photograph simultaneously. :)

Two members of my family have had (successful) cataract surgery. It's astounding to me that such a thing is even possible.

Awesome, Dale. I'll quit whining about how hard it is to fly and photograph simultaneously. :)

Two members of my family have had (successful) cataract surgery. It's astounding to me that such a thing is even possible.
Not to go too far astray but cataract surgery with implantation of the new (intraocular) lens, enjoys the highest rate of success of any other surgical procedure performed in medicine (99%).

You guys are AWESOME, love this type of chat where true experts can gain insight from one another! Although I have studied photo and video to the Nth degree over the last year my implementation is weak, rarely shoot in manual even on my M4/3s G85. I feel like the work I've done to get to tough locations to too much to risk trying to shoot in manual and screwing it up. I need to play around at home with the cameras more I guess. Time is an issue too, I'm literally scared to wast time messing with a camera when I'm at some of the best locations, scary technical locations. I try to eat and hydrate while planning any camera anything to keep my strength and mental capacity flowing. Rare occasions it is fairly safe and I can relax in the sun, those are my best camera moments . . . I'm following you two. Dale I hope you got my comments about the Miami time-lapse you shot, if you can slow down that shutter speed to around 1 second I believe, get some big motion blur, you're in the pro zone! The real gotcha with time lapse, even more with dark settings time lapse is the shutter speed can be so slow it will to interfere with your interval time . . . OMG I appologize to the OP, I'll shut up about random BS . . . Cheers brothers!

If that’s your first attempt, you did extremely well. The first shot, the arch reveal, is an extraordinarily difficult move. I’d have required several rehearsals in the camera ship to execute that perfectly. Making that move requires that you know exactly what to do IN ADVANCE. Not possible unless you have rehearsed it.

For camera guys, one of the main goals of editing is to hide our mistakes. :)

Thanks, Lister, very generous of you. I appreciate the compliments and suggestions - always looking to learn and improve. Great conversation everyone!

Your early effort is REAL GOOD.
Hey, thanks Karlewski! And your drone footage was Awesome! I hear what you're saying about wishing you'd done better - don't we all feel that way? I've had some sequences I'm proud of, but nothing's ever quite good enough and most of the footage will never be seen by anyone but me. :)
Thanks for the advice, I'm always looking to improve. Happy flying

I liked your video better then MANY, you were going for it and in a cool place. Not circling the water tank in the field out back and posting that, OMG. Circle the tank, get great at it just don't post and waste our time on it . . . A big part of awesome "looking flying" is the editing, we are all bouncing all over but. . .isolating your jerky adjustments to "set up/frame the shots" then committing to the shot you planned and maybe practiced if complex. Just a push forward or back maybe a long push even, can't go wrong with a nicely composed shot doing that. Trying to adjust mid shot, it'll be ugly but cutting that out on the beat of some moody music, still sweet! Over controlling, ESPECIALLY yaw is the worst mistake. Up down in out are the most friendly and forgiving, side to side needs to be like a gimbal for your best result slow in and out of the side slide or just cut it so it is only side slider for the whole clip, nice. Like Lister says, it is all about hiding your mistakes, for video that's editing, and solid color grading skills help too. In the end, the learning and progress of the journey is very rewarding and the capture of some of your coolest memories is the lifetime gift . . . For me, I can do better, especially there since I flew it once before, know the terrain and a battery warm up sure helps. We should both be proud, cool places and decent shots, took the effort to do something nice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas