DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM Swamping out signal of other FPVers at my flying club

Should NOT happen. Will wait for further replies but would have to think RC problem. Frequency incorrect? Could you be carrying something else that’s causing their interference, Or only happens with a mini flight? Causing problems with all drones (brands), or limited few?
Mini FPV?
Describe the interference, AC RC, might help.

And they're not liking it. Anyone else have this problem?

Okay, I’ll step up: I just got back from a second weekend in a row of flying my stock, un-modded Mini (FCC version) alongside FPV guys at a local park (Berkeley, California). We realized that when I had my Mini aloft, a couple guys had noticeably impaired video quality through their Fat Shark goggles. One reported seeing the horizontal lines of RF interference. Another said he actually had video cut out for a split second, a few times while he was flying near my Mini. (My first thought: Don’t fly near my Mini.)

I am not yet into FPV so I couldn’t explain further, but we tested flying my M2P with them, and they noticed no degradation in video quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
You need to manually select your frequency band/channel so that it is not in the range of frequencies they use.

The analog transmission they use is not able to accomodate anything else transmitting on the same frequencies at any time like multiple digital transmissions would.

The Mini is likely using the 5.8 GHz band by default (which they use) while the M2 defaults to 2.4 and doesn't disturb them.

You need to manually select your frequency band/channel so that it is not in the range of frequencies they use.

The analog transmission they use is not able to accomodate anything else transmitting on the same frequencies at any time like multiple digital transmissions would.

The Mini is likely using the 5.8 GHz band by default (which they use) while the M2 defaults to 2.4 and doesn't disturb them.

so how do I manually select a frequency?

Okay, I’ll step up: I just got back from a second weekend in a row of flying my stock, un-modded Mini (FAA version) alongside FPV guys at a local park (Berkeley, California). We realized that when I had my Mini aloft, a couple guys had noticeably impaired video quality through their Fat Shark goggles. One reported seeing the horizontal lines of RF interference. Another said he actually had video cut out for a split second, a few times while he was flying near my Mini. (My first thought: Don’t fly near my Mini.)

I am not yet into FPV so I couldn’t explain further, but we tested flying my M2P with them, and they noticed no degradation in video quality.
Yes... same scenario

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the FCC version of the MM only uses 5.8.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Mine was the opposite. I get signal breakage when an fpv flyer was beside me flying. I guess it has to do with 5.8ghz signal. Will try to manually change signal on the next flight.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the FCC version of the MM only uses 5.8.
Ah yep, looks like it's the case.

So in this case you need to coordinate with them and choose a channel that's as far as possible to all of them, if any works at all.

Reactions: pelagic_one
So in this case you need to coordinate with them and choose a channel that's as far as possible to all of them, if any works at all.

Thanks to everyone who helped with a solution. I appreciate @ChinoDiablo for bringing up the topic in the first place.

Now I can’t wait to see those FPV guys again and try it out. For those who encounter this issue, you would change channels by switching Channel Mode to Manual, then selecting a green channel. Trial and error may be needed, so try different channels for minimal interference with our FPV friends.

FCC Model MR1SS5 screen:
8EB2DDFB-52F0-4A25-A055-AEF74EE46B3B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Akward59
...People respected it.

Longtime AMA member here, so I still walk up to other people flying at a park or field to ask what they’re flying, and to let them know what I’m flying. The millennials just stare at me - with their “frequency hopping RC” as if to sarcastically say, “That’s nice.”

I personally do not miss the days of 27MHz, 72MHz, brushed motors and mechanical speed controllers.

Should NOT happen. Will wait for further replies but would have to think RC problem. Frequency incorrect? Could you be carrying something else that’s causing their interference, Or only happens with a mini flight? Causing problems with all drones (brands), or limited few?
Mini FPV?
Describe the interference, AC RC, might help.
First off you have to realize that at many events the FPV folks are set to only use 20mw or so to keep from tripping all over each other.
In theory they have 40 channels but the reality is many of them are too close together so they get interference and bleedover - so you end up with maybe 8 or so channels in actual use.
Any of the DJI drones put out a much larger signal and it's not "finessed" to a tight band.
I do not believe you will ever be able to fly around FPV folks without some swamping of signal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura