DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM1 batteries in Mini 2- Increased flight time!

RobChester

Reactions
This is going to sound weird.

I know the MM1 batteries are 20 grammes heavier, but I've just tried them on some 'local' test flights (in my back garden) on my Mini 2 and the overall flight time is increased ...verified by air-data logs.

Could it be that the increased weight is offset by the more powerful batteries? Obviously using the MM1 batteries will take you Mini 2 over the 250g threshold for registration.

Let me get this straight to make sure I understand what you've said. If I read it correctly, you said the MM1 battery provided longer flight time on your Mini2 than the Mini 2 battery?

I know what going over the 250g threshold means in the US, which is simply that you have to register, but none of the other rules change. I've been reading the Canadian guidelines and found them an interesting variation from the US model. I suspect when the US rolls out the new knowledge test for all drone pilots it will be very similar to the basic Canadian test, including home online, open-book testing. What changes in the UK and EU if you exceed 250g?

Let me get this straight to make sure I understand what you've said. If I read it correctly, you said the MM1 battery provided longer flight time on your Mini2 than the Mini 2 battery?

I know what going over the 250g threshold means in the US, which is simply that you have to register, but none of the other rules change. I've been reading the Canadian guidelines and found them an interesting variation from the US model. I suspect when the US rolls out the new knowledge test for all drone pilots it will be very similar to the basic Canadian test, including home online, open-book testing. What changes in the UK and EU if you exceed 250g?
Yes your interpretation is correct. I did the tests consecutively. Well now I need to do a few more tests, and probably let the mini 2 battery drain down more times to get it up to full capacity. In the UK new regulations come in in 1st December. In any case, If I read them right registration is now required under 250g if camera fitted. Drone Regulations | COPTRZ | Full guide to upcoming changes

after the 31st of December any drone with a camera will need to be registered even if its less than 250g and the new rules take effect on midnight the 31st December 2020
although its not really the drone that is being registered but the person who owns it ,they are called the operator, and they need to have an operator ID ,even if they dont intend to fly the drone, any one who flies a drone ,will need a Flyer ID this is free and lasts for three years ,if you own a drone and allow someone else to fly it then, it is down to you to make sure they have a flyer id before they do so

Yes apologies. 31st December, not 1st.
The flyer ID might be free but the registration isn't.
thats why i did not say it was free at the moment its £9 for a year but that could change after the end of the year ,as could any of the requirements for registration etc ,it has already been mentioned that the flyer ID test is going to be increased from 20 tick box questions, to 40 tick box questions , from the 15th of December 2020 we,will have to wait and see if that comes to fruition

Well of course you're right. But it's not often that these things reduce in price. £9 is ok....I suppose it's paying for the policing of it

Reactions: old man mavic
after the 31st of December any drone with a camera will need to be registered even if its less than 250g and the new rules take effect on midnight the 31st December 2020
although its not really the drone that is being registered but the person who owns it ,they are called the operator, and they need to have an operator ID ,even if they dont intend to fly the drone, any one who flies a drone ,will need a Flyer ID this is free and lasts for three years ,if you own a drone and allow someone else to fly it then, it is down to you to make sure they have a flyer id before they do so
Good information. So, please correct me if I misunderstand the implication of the new rules in the UK... But as it stands now, if under 250g you don't have to register anything. As of Jan1 2021 you have to register everything (yourself). Does that mean that, because you have to have an ID regardless of drone weight, keeping the weight under 250g is no longer a reason to avoid buying that larger drone or putting accessories on your Minis?

Sorry to get off track on the battery issue. Once I get my replacement Mini I'll have to do some testing in that regard. What I've heard is that a certain point the Mini 1 battery power falls off less linearly than the Mini 2 batteries. I'm sure we'll hear more about that in time.

Good information. So, please correct me if I misunderstand the implication of the new rules in the UK... But as it stands now, if under 250g you don't have to register anything. As of Jan1 2021 you have to register everything (yourself). Does that mean that, because you have to have an ID regardless of drone weight, keeping the weight under 250g is no longer a reason to avoid buying that larger drone or putting accessories on your Minis?

Sorry to get off track on the battery issue. Once I get my replacement Mini I'll have to do some testing in that regard. What I've heard is that a certain point the Mini 1 battery power falls off less linearly than the Mini 2 batteries. I'm sure we'll hear more about that in time.
Above 250g there will be more onerous registration, so you might still want to keep below it. Let's see what comes out.
Yes others please check my initial findings.

Interesting battery comparison, will be looking for more as you get it.

This is going to sound weird.

I know the MM1 batteries are 20 grammes heavier, but I've just tried them on some 'local' test flights (in my back garden) on my Mini 2 and the overall flight time is increased ...verified by air-data logs.

Could it be that the increased weight is offset by the more powerful batteries? Obviously using the MM1 batteries will take you Mini 2 over the 250g threshold for registration.

Can you post the links to the logs? I get consistently 1-1.5km more from MM2 batteries.

Ok, so I did a much longer test today in virtually windless conditions (0.7 m/s). I flew the mini 2 with both the mini 1 and mini 2 batteries at an altitude of 50m with forward throttle continuously and similar turns. The result was 25.5 minutes for the mini 2 battery, and 23.5 minutes for the mini 1 battery. Even so a shorter flight time of just two minutes with a battery 20 grammes heavier is interesting. I suppose two minutes would equate to your 1-1.5 Kms.

I think the bottom line is that the Mini 1 batteries can be great extra batteries to have if you already have some. But as DJI has bumped the price of the Mini 1 battery by nearly 30% ($10- to $45 USD from $35) it isn't the best alternative to purchasing Mini 2 batteries for the Mini 2.

Yes your interpretation is correct. I did the tests consecutively. Well now I need to do a few more tests, and probably let the mini 2 battery drain down more times to get it up to full capacity. In the UK new regulations come in in 1st December. In any case, If I read them right registration is now required under 250g if camera fitted. Drone Regulations | COPTRZ | Full guide to upcoming changes
"battery drain down more times to get it up to full capacity." I dont think you need to do that, that is something that was true for nickel-cadmium batteries, but isn't for lithium batteries.
but if you do it and it increases capacity, would like to hear about that

After battery firmware update, no more low voltage message in sports mode in hardest use levels.
My battery is 8 charges, but yes it was at arround 40%.
Will update battery firmware and report if it fixes the issue.

Very useful to know mini1 batteries work in mini2, as mini2 batteries are apparently out of stock and not currently available.

I think the bottom line is that the Mini 1 batteries can be great extra batteries to have if you already have some. But as DJI has bumped the price of the Mini 1 battery by nearly 30% ($10- to $45 USD from $35) it isn't the best alternative to purchasing Mini 2 batteries for the Mini 2.
I don't recall the mini 1 batteries ever being $35. Perhaps they were on sale from a reseller?
In Australia they're same price as before and mini 2 batteries are $10 dearer.
Both batteries work and give roughly the same flight time give or take.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent