DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mod Mavic into a bigger drone

hhung516

Reactions
This may sound silly but is it possible to swap out the motors (and ESC) with much powerful ones, mount on a custom frame and strap the Mavic on top, essentially end up with a much bigger drone but using Mavic as its brain? Would get all the benefits DJI offers including the control app, collision avoidance, etc.

? Give it a go & post your result ?

Maybe once I get more familiar with how some of these electronics work together :)

Ideally with a few connectors to make things more modular, it can be switched back and forth. One can at any time have the Mavic back that functions as-is, or strap it on a larger frame within minutes turn it into a much powerful bird. Also in the event that the bigger bird crashes, the Mavic may likely stay intact.

? Which Mavic har you targeting for your mod? which ever it is, I think that you’ll end up with all atleast weight errors in the app.

I recently got my first Mavic: M2P. Never had M1. Do you mean M2 is more sensitive (i.e. "smarter") in detecting abnormalities?

The way I'm thinking is, more powerful motors on a bigger and heavier frame, verses the original counterparts, everything sort of proportional so that it turns out to be roughly the same acceleration & velocity as far as the on-board sensors are concerned. Of course it will require some tuning.

What I'm not sure about is if the more powerful ESCs take the same control signals as the original ones. End result should be exact same spin rate. If that's possible, then it's a matter of figuring out the type of props (lifting power) and the weight of the battery for the larger frame.

And tuning the lifting power could be as simple as cutting down a set of large props bit by bit.

? Which Mavic har you targeting for your mod? which ever it is, I think that you’ll end up with all atleast weight errors in the app.

I recall reading that the Go 4 app has a prop guard settings and that Mavic pros will detect increased weight when guards are attached. I'll check my history for the source.

edit:
I was wrong, setting is ment for the Cage and not prop guard.
Here's the thread:

Not sure how the MP1/2 will react if you attach a banana but you might get some sort of error message about the weight load.

D'un point de vue expérimental, l'idée est très intéressante. Je pense au mode «aile fixe» qui pourrait prendre avantage d'un corps profilé pour jouer sur la portance et donc sur l'économie énergétique.
Bright idea. I think fixed wing mode could profit from a new structure to get better energy ratio with aerology...

That's correct, as payload goes up so do the motors spin rate for additional lift needed to maintain altitude. And when it detects spin rate being too high for too long, it will complain.

Not sure how the MP1/2 will react if you attach a banana but you might get some sort of error message about the weight load.

Yes ! Amazing... I thought some changes could be done to improve aerodynamics and thus battery autonomy if fixed wing mode used... Not sure this can have a positive effect, but felt something with this field of research.
You mean this thing? Just brilliant!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803