DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Model Aircraft

GB1Yorkshire1

Reactions
So much time and information has been shared on this web site, concerning the legality of drone fight!
However last night I was looking at model aircraft, one thing that struck me was the relative speed (over 200 mph in model jets) and the size of some of the models some 1/4 and 1/2 scale. To my knowledge no drone needs two people to prevent fly off in warm up, or three people or a cart to get it to the launch area.
Can any of you RC experts tell me what the regulations are?

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
If it's over 55lbs and/or flies faster than 100mph they have to apply for an exemption/waiver if Part 107.

For Hobby flights the regs are the same as we are ALL now classified as UAS (drones it you want to use that term)

Many of us "Old Timers" have flown some Giant Scale aircraft. I still have the prop from one of my large stunt planes. I think it's a 24" 3-blade and it was on a 8hp HiPerf gasoline engine. IIRC the wingspan was 96" but it only weighed about 18lbs full of fuel and smoke fluid but it would burn holes in the sky.

I think it is also important to understand how 'drones' and model aircraft are related and how the evolution of regulations to their current state has happened. Simply put, prior to drones, model aviation was a self governing body. The big difference between model aviation as it existed for roughly 75 years prior to the emergence of drones was that nearly all model aviation took place at fixed sites that had an organizational structure that ensured that not only were the rules followed but moreover there was a mechanism in place to train newcomers with hands on help and guidance.

These two aspects allowed the model aviation industry to exist within it's own world without having any effect upon the national airspace. There was also the fact that VLOS was the only way you could fly, as losing orientation for even a moment could cost you an aircraft that you had not only money invested but also a lot of time in some cases. I kinda miss flying back in the day, but I don't miss lugging around all the gear and support equipment it took to operate some of those systems. My Mavic 2 Pro and everything I need for many flights is in a case that is smaller than the one to carry just a transmitter. ?

Me and TriStar.jpg

Pretty sure at an AMA site it's 200MPH for turbine aircraft. At least I hope so cause I'm the safety officer at our local club and I even fly a small prop foamy that goes 120+mph. Many of the pylon racers and the EDF crowd easily reach speeds over 100.
At our field we want to enforce AMA rules. Starting some of the large prop planes require the plane to be anchored or they can use the two person method. There are a lot of aircraft crashes...we fly on average of twice a week and generally have at least one person crash per day if not more. One of the number one causes of crashes (besides proficiency & equipment failures) is flying too far out of sight. If you cannot tell right side up, it's very easy to run the aircraft into the ground. There are prepping zones and taxi paths pilots must adhere to. Pilots must operate from a specific area. A spotter might help but usually not. Spotters are on site to look for full size aircraft especially when flying off active runways where an RC aircraft will interfere with the real McCoy.

DSC02265p.jpg

the models that you are asking about ,are flown at designated sites,with a host of safety rules that have kept the hobby very safe for many many years
as others have said the models themselves have a cost not only in money, but in construction time, that can be many months for very complex scale models
because of this investment in the model ,and the rules governing flying sites ,this has been the reason for the very small incidents of injury to uninvolved bystanders
sadly a lot of the issues that have come to light in recent times, are because of the fact that it is now possible to purchase drones that require no construction ,and no reason to find out how they should be flown ,this of course is not the case for the many ,many responsible fliers ,mainly the very ones who join a forum like this to further their knowledge
it is the few who couldn't give a monkeys about safe flying, that spoil it for the rest of us

If it's over 55lbs and/or flies faster than 100mph they have to apply for an exemption/waiver if Part 107.

For Hobby flights the regs are the same as we are ALL now classified as UAS (drones it you want to use that term)

Many of us "Old Timers" have flown some Giant Scale aircraft. I still have the prop from one of my large stunt planes. I think it's a 24" 3-blade and it was on a 8hp HiPerf gasoline engine. IIRC the wingspan was 96" but it only weighed about 18lbs full of fuel and smoke fluid but it would burn holes in the sky.
Things must have changed, read their PDF

it opens with a photoshop of a drone with an eye! reference use of surveillance etc, I wonder who this is aimed at??

Things must have changed, read their PDF

it opens with a photoshop of a drone with an eye! reference use of surveillance etc, I wonder who this is aimed at??

Huh? What are you talking about has changed? I'm not seeing what it is you're referencing.

Keep in mind I'm referencing FAA requirements and not AMA requirements. While AMA is indeed a "CBO" they are not recognized as THE CBO so you could follow rules of another CBO if you find one.

If you're flying a fixed-wing turbine powered model under the AMA Gas Turbine Program which, you must pass in order to operate a jet at any AMA field or event, it does allow speeds up to 200 mph but they have different rules for other types or disciplines of models, such as control line turbine powered (who would do such a thing), ? is limited to 100 mph

........ such as control line turbine powered (who would do such a thing), ? is limited to 100 mph

This is a HORRIBLE example of High Speed CL but it's an example none-the-less LOL

Does your site not have enough space for CL ? How would it go over, if it was still a pulse jet but it wasn't CL ? Or is it a noise issue?

Does your site not have enough space for CL ? How would it go over, if it was still a pulse jet but it wasn't CL ? Or is it a noise issue?
Standard CL flying isn't an issue but I'd have some safety issues for spectators with the operation of something running at that speed as shown in that video. If it were to get away from the pilot who knows what could happen. But that pulse jet could be set up as a special event for spectators. On a good day I like to see similar equipped aircraft fly together so everybody gets a chance to fly. We average 15-20 aircraft per outing and try to keep the runway open for fixed wing RC aircraft plus we have a specific spot for the whirling guillotines (helicopters) and racing drones to fly. If we had CL fliers, we could find a spot for them.
Noise isn't an issue:

But accidents happen:
DSC00993p-1.jpg

The jet above hit the runway. The one below hit the ground in the flight area.

Tudor 1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore