DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Modification Tip - Using iPad mini in Controller

Shep

Reactions
This should work for any iPad mini:

Like so many others, my iPad mini was tough to get in and out of my controller and all I have on it is a carbon fiber skin. I decided to brave it even though my Mavic was only a few hours old, and solve the problem.

I took the rubber off the bottom side of each "wing" of the controller and replaced it with the smooth side of Velcro. Now, it fits great with plenty of friction to hold it in place. See pic:

IMG_5101.JPG

Simple mod but makes things much easier:

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

Did you put the opposite velcro on the Minnie or did you just put the velcro on one side of the controller arm? Now, did you do both arms or just one? Being so used to having the screen of my phantoms above the controller, how hard was it to get used to the screen being below? Currently waiting on my Mavic to show up, which was ordered the begining of the month. Thanks for your help on this. Really great idea.

Reactions: Islandguy27
I like how its a nice tight fit like it is. I just slowly push mine in rotating right to left side until its fully seated. Same way pulling it out. I'd much rather spend an extra 20 seconds seating it nicely than modifying my controller to fit. What if you wind up changing to a phone or different tablet one day?

Did you put the opposite velcro on the Minnie or did you just put the velcro on one side of the controller arm? Now, did you do both arms or just one? Being so used to having the screen of my phantoms above the controller, how hard was it to get used to the screen being below? Currently waiting on my Mavic to show up, which was ordered the begining of the month. Thanks for your help on this. Really great idea.

Did it to both sides of the controller and nothing on the mini.

The adjustment of the mini being on the bottom was pretty easy for me.

I like how its a nice tight fit like it is. I just slowly push mine in rotating right to left side until its fully seated. Same way pulling it out. I'd much rather spend an extra 20 seconds seating it nicely than modifying my controller to fit. What if you wind up changing to a phone or different tablet one day?

A tight fit is one thing. Ripping off my carbon fiber skin is yet another. It simply does not to be that tight. I still have plenty of grip and there is no way it can fall out.

As far as changing phones, this post is about using a mini in the controller not a phone.

It is inevitable that one day I will update/change the tablet and it will be another Apple tablet. It is highly unlikely that any Apple tablet will be thinner than they are now (but it will still fit well). If any tablet is thicker, it just reinforces the need for this mod.

Some guys are comfortable with mods, some are not. Some guys are just not "handy" and are better leaving things alone. This is for the guy that just doesn't like the fit.

A tight fit is one thing. Ripping off my carbon fiber skin is yet another. It simply does not to be that tight. I still have plenty of grip and there is no way it can fall out.

As far as changing phones, this post is about using a mini in the controller not a phone.

It is inevitable that one day I will update/change the tablet and it will be another Apple tablet. It is highly unlikely that any Apple tablet will be thinner than they are now (but it will still fit well). If any tablet is thicker, it just reinforces the need for this mod.

Some guys are comfortable with mods, some are not. Some guys are just not "handy" and are better leaving things alone. This is for the guy that just doesn't like the fit.
Yea, I guess if you have a skin on it, would mess it up pretty good in the corners.

Curious what version of iPAD Mini you are using. Mine is an iPAD Mini 2. The fit is tight, but doesn't seem overly tight. I do understand your concern about the skin.

I'm using an iPad Mini 4 with a clear skin and had no problem getting it in and out of the holder on the controller. I'm now mainly using the iPad Mini holder from Dirty J Designs, it feels more comfortable having the screen towards the top.
Interesting though that you had such a tight fit with the carbon skin. I think I'd rather take the skin off the iPad, then permanently modify the controller. But hey whatever floats your boat, good job solving your problem.

I'm using an iPad Mini 4 with a clear skin and had no problem getting it in and out of the holder on the controller. I'm now mainly using the iPad Mini holder from Dirty J Designs, it feels more comfortable having the screen towards the top.
Interesting though that you had such a tight fit with the carbon skin. I think I'd rather take the skin off the iPad, then permanently modify the controller. But hey whatever floats your boat, good job solving your problem.

I saved the rubber from both sides. Simple double sided tape and I am back to stock.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I unscrewed top and bottom and took them out so as to not mess or scratch anything up. I then peeled the bottom one off. They are stuck on very well!

After making my 4 mini fit, which was a tight fit yes, I did not like the position my hands were put in to hold this and operated sticks, and it didn't feel secure. Ended up buying AND LOVING the Skytreat mount... just my 2 cents.

I eventually went with the MavMount and like it very much also. But I used the above modification for quite a while!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair