DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moment Anamorphic on DJI Mavic 2 Pro (quick sample flight)

sdharris

Reactions
I have to admit I completely forgot I backed this Kickstarter so was a bit surprised when it arrived, and because I haven't followed its development I did not appreciate the intricacies of fitting it, not something you can easily do on a cold December afternoon standing in wet grass but I managed to find a small rock to rest the Mavic 2 Pro on while flipping it on its back and attaching the counterweight and lens. Lots of noise on the video due to the conditions and me forgetting to take it off auto, sorry, video is not really my thing!

I have to admit I completely forgot I backed this Kickstarter so was a bit surprised when it arrived, and because I haven't followed its development I did not appreciate the intricacies of fitting it, not something you can easily do on a cold December afternoon standing in wet grass but I managed to find a small rock to rest the Mavic 2 Pro on while flipping it on its back and attaching the counterweight and lens. Lots of noise on the video due to the conditions and me forgetting to take it off auto, sorry, video is not really my thing!

my anamorphic lens came in last week and i still haven’t had the time to use it but i have tried to practice putting it on a few times with the power off just to see how difficult it is to do,”i know i have to install the lens with power on”, i’ve had a lot of trouble just fitting the counter weight on it with out jamming the gimble,its not what i thought it would be.

my anamorphic lens came in last week and i still haven’t had the time to use it but i have tried to practice putting it on a few times with the power off just to see how difficult it is to do,”i know i have to install the lens with power on”, i’ve had a lot of trouble just fitting the counter weight on it with out jamming the gimble,its not what i thought it would be.

I had the same concern when fitting it, the gimbal does not move freely with just the counterweight but once it securely grips the lens the counterweight is clear of the back of the gimbal and moves freely.

It's a fair amount of work though if you don't have a table nearby to rest the drone.

Reactions: Bill combs
I had the same concern when fitting it, the gimbal does not move freely with just the counterweight but once it securely grips the lens the counterweight is clear of the back of the gimbal and moves freely.

It's a fair amount of work though if you don't have a table nearby to rest the drone.
thats by concern i’ve gotten it to fit but not without alot of movement with the gimble that said my fear is that i might damage my very expensive drone trying to manipulate the lens on the camera,when you install the lens does the camera cooperate? or to you struggle with the gimble at all while its under power?.

when you install the lens does the camera cooperate? or to you struggle with the gimble at all while its under power?.

When the drone is flipped on its back power is cut to the gimbal so its not fighting you. When you flip it back upright again the controller will show gimbal overload which is fixed 9 times out of 10 by the gimbal auto calibration. The instruction video suggests doing a compass calibration but I didn't bother, I think they're just covering their backsides by including the step in the instructions.

I had the same thought about the additional load on the gimbal motors and the messing it about trying to fit it, but I think as long as you get that gimbal position right when you first fit the lens you'll be ok. Time will tell though.

I would certainly practise the fitting process at home on a table before going out in the field. It was not easy doing it first time kneeling over a small rock.

Reactions: Bill combs
When the drone is flipped on its back power is cut to the gimbal so its not fighting you. When you flip it back upright again the controller will show gimbal overload which is fixed 9 times out of 10 by the gimbal auto calibration. The instruction video suggests doing a compass calibration but I didn't bother, I think they're just covering their backsides by including the step in the instructions.

I had the same thought about the additional load on the gimbal motors and the messing it about trying to fit it, but I think as long as you get that gimbal position right when you first fit the lens you'll be ok. Time will tell though.

I would certainly practise the fitting process at home on a table before going out in the field. It was not easy doing it first time kneeling over a small rock.
thats what i’ve been doing by installing it without power on and i’ve gotten to a point where im confident i can install it in quick order but until now was very apprehensive installing the lens under power,fyi i’ve read and watched the video, its a beautiful day here in arizona so i’m going to give it a shot,thank you for your feedback.

Ok, I see you have been using the Moment Anamorphic lens. Hopefully you might have some suggestions for me. I've had a problem come up that I can't seem to solve. This may sound weird, but when I put the Moment lens on (following all the instructions in the video) and go to calibrate the gimbal, the gimbal icon in the "General Settings" panel is ...gone! It does not show up! After several repetitions I realized that when I go to calibrate the gimbal with the drone's Hasselblad regular lens, the gimbal icon returns and I can calibrate the regular lens. But when I then put the Moment lens on, the gimbal icon is gone in General Settings. I do get a gimbal overload warning when I have the Moment lens on. Any ideas? I have posted the question to Moment on their website and will let you know they have any solution. Disappointing because I love the video I have seen made with the lens. It worked the first time I tried it but I didn't need to calibrate the gimbal...it was fine and didn't overload. 1st Moment Lens Test

Ok, I see you have been using the Moment Anamorphic lens. Hopefully you might have some suggestions for me. I've had a problem come up that I can't seem to solve. This may sound weird, but when I put the Moment lens on (following all the instructions in the video) and go to calibrate the gimbal, the gimbal icon in the "General Settings" panel is ...gone! It does not show up! After several repetitions I realized that when I go to calibrate the gimbal with the drone's Hasselblad regular lens, the gimbal icon returns and I can calibrate the regular lens. But when I then put the Moment lens on, the gimbal icon is gone in General Settings. I do get a gimbal overload warning when I have the Moment lens on. Any ideas? I have posted the question to Moment on their website and will let you know they have any solution. Disappointing because I love the video I have seen made with the lens. It worked the first time I tried it but I didn't need to calibrate the gimbal...it was fine and didn't overload. 1st Moment Lens Test

What controller / mobile device / software are you using? I use the DJI Smartcontroller and have seen something similar, to resolve I closed DJI Go on the controller and reopened, I put it down to a bug in the software where the menu is missing if the gimbal is overloaded. Have to admit I haven't had it happen for a while but might be muscle reflex now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake