Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Montana 2022 Video Six weeks in 19 minutes

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Montana Video 2022. Six Weeks in 19 minutes

How do you compress six (6) weeks of intensive photography into a short and concise video? I filmed daily for 6 weeks, and this resulted in over 85 GB of data. I spent the past 4 weeks editing this at approx.. 5 to 8 hours a day. Here is the resultant video! Best full screen.

This is a 19:11 minute video featuring six glorious weeks in the beautiful state of Montana. We hiked, fished, and drove from one side of the state to the other. Here are still images, videos created by numerous cameras including the Mavic 3 drone, DJI Osmo Action, time lapse sequences shot with DSLR, iPhone, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo OM4 gimbal.

Gear
Mavic 3
Nikon D750 body for stills, videos, and time lapses
Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
Nikkor 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens
DJI Osmo Action
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max stills and videos
Osmo Pocket
Really Right Stuff Tripod

Software:
Adobe Photoshop CC
Adobe Lightroom LrC
Adobe Premier Pro video editing
LRTimelapse 6.1 for timelapse

As usual, comments are welcomed.

Last edited:
Boy you carry a lot of equipment. On iPad so haven watched it.
But will when I get home and can watch it on my 5K Imac full screen. I’m sure it will be good knowing you. 👍

Reactions: GFields
Boy you carry a lot of equipment. On iPad so haven watched it.
But will when I get home and can watch it on my 5K Imac full screen. I’m sure it will be good knowing you. 👍
Actually, I carry more than I wrote down! Not included in that list was a backup tripod so I can do photos during a timelapse with my 2nd Nikon (so I also carry 2 Nikon and 2 28-300 lenses, plus heavy 14-24mm lens (Prime). Anxious or you to watch it on big screen. Thanks for the confidence extended.

Reactions: dirkclod
Actually, I carry more than I wrote down! Not included in that list was a backup tripod so I can do photos during a timelapse with my 2nd Nikon (so I also carry 2 Nikon and 2 28-300 lenses, plus heavy 14-24mm lens (Prime). Anxious or you to watch it on big screen. Thanks for the confidence extended.
👍 Yes I watch what I think is going to be good on 27”.
This iPad just don’t do videos as well as lots of videos justice .

You did an excellent job editing . Loved everything in that. Bet it took as long picking out what’s in that as taking it all.
Thanks for taking me where I’ll never be able to go.
Top notch 👍👍

Reactions: GFields
@Dale D ,what a GREAT place to visit ,really enjoyed your video, it was like being there with you ,
thanks for sharing

@Dale D ,what a GREAT place to visit ,really enjoyed your video, it was like being there with you ,
thanks for sharing
Thanks OMM. Glad you enjoyed your vicarious trip there. If you ever come to the US, Montana is the most scenic state to see, and flying a drone is never a problem. There is so much open space there, it is overwhelming.

Dale

Reactions: old man mavic
Thank you for sharing your time in Montana and you 2 had a good time I see. Some places you shown we've been also and it brings back very good memories. I agree on the Beartooth range, and the highway, it is so beautiful through there.
I again have to mention time-lapse photography and how I like it. You've got it down so good and have some awesome shoots in your video and I need to learn it ! I'm not much for speeding video's up because I try to fly as I feel is needed.
All-in-All very well done and I'm glad you had a good time and your travels went well !

How do you compress six (6) weeks of intensive photography into a short and concise video? I filmed daily for 6 weeks, and this resulted in over 85 GB of data. I spent the past 4 weeks editing this at approx.. 5 to 8 hours a day. Here is the resultant video! Best full screen.

This is a 19:11 minute video featuring six glorious weeks in the beautiful state of Montana. We hiked, fished, and drove from one side of the state to the other. Here are still images, videos created by numerous cameras including the Mavic 3 drone, DJI Osmo Action, time lapse sequences shot with DSLR, iPhone, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo OM4 gimbal.

Gear
Mavic 3
DJI Osmo Action
Osmo Pocket

Software:
Adobe Photoshop CC
Adobe Lightroom LrC

What spectacular video. I love Montana and that whole area of the country. Beautifully shot and edited. Just watched it on an 83 inch tv. Felt like I was riding with you. Excellent work sir!!

Thank you for sharing your time in Montana and you 2 had a good time I see. Some places you shown we've been also and it brings back very good memories. I agree on the Beartooth range, and the highway, it is so beautiful through there.
I again have to mention time-lapse photography and how I like it. You've got it down so good and have some awesome shoots in your video and I need to learn it ! I'm not much for speeding video's up because I try to fly as I feel is needed.
All-in-All very well done and I'm glad you had a good time and your travels went well !
Thank you or your kind comments. We certainly agree on the Bearthooth Highway. Timelapse is not a matter of speeding up a video with software. It is not a matter of how you are flying. None of the timelapse sequences were done with a drone.

Timelapse is a special technique using a DSLR or mirrorless camera and special software.

If you want further guidance on the techniques, feel free to contact me on a private conversation.

Dale

Reactions: MavicFlyer2

Gear
Mavic 3
DJI Osmo Action
Osmo Pocket

Software:
Adobe Photoshop CC
Adobe Lightroom LrC

Are we turning you into a longer video lover, Dale? Just kidding. You would not do that video justice by making it shorter. No shots were too long or too short. Well done. As close to perfection as any human could do. Thanks for sharing such a lovely part of the world.

Are we turning you into a longer video lover, Dale? Just kidding. You would not do that video justice by making it shorter. No shots were too long or too short. Well done. As close to perfection as any human could do. Thanks for sharing such a lovely part of the world.
Thanks so much Crash Gibby:

As you all know, I have constantly commented on making videos shorter! But this film was both a travelogue and a family remembrance. I struggled mightily to shorten each slide (from 3 seconds to 2 seconds) and to shave off seconds from videos. It was not easy to cut a 10 second Milky Way timelapse to 6 seconds. I edited out every gimbal twitch, false start, etc. I deleted whole days of material (we actually made two trips to each to those fishing spots but I only picked the best footage from those days). This was the 4th cutting, each time, shaving down the seconds. Each time, requiring a 2 hour render and a 2 hour Vimeo upload. (that's 8 hours!).

If you have ever gone to my Vimeo page, you will find longer videos such as Chile, Greece, Iceland, Africa, Gorillas, etc.

I hope this video encourages all of you to visit that great state of Montana.

Dale
Miami,Florida

Beautiful shots and great editing! We visited Montana briefly on our trip to S. Dakota, wished we had spent another week in the Big Sky area!

Beautiful shots and great editing! We visited Montana briefly on our trip to S. Dakota, wished we had spent another week in the Big Sky area!
Coming from Maine, that is a high compliment. I'd certainly recommend a trip there (Montana).

First, Mr. Davis - Phenomenal work here!
Second, 6 weeks to 19 minutes? I can only imagine the process of elimination for condensing it down.
I like you captured Montana, but I also like that you captured the night sky. As clear as the air is there, it's easy to see the beauty of the heavens laid out in its splendor. I had relatives who lived on the Montana side of the Bitteroot Mountain Range (shared with Idaho) and remember seeing what you so wonderfully captured.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
First, Mr. Davis - Phenomenal work here!
Second, 6 weeks to 19 minutes? I can only imagine the process of elimination for condensing it down.
I like you captured Montana, but I also like that you captured the night sky. As clear as the air is there, it's easy to see the beauty of the heavens laid out in its splendor. I had relatives who lived on the Montana side of the Bitteroot Mountain Range (shared with Idaho) and remember seeing what you so wonderfully captured.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Prop Wash-for the formality ("Mr.") but please use Dale.

Astro photography has been a passion for me as well. Those shots and videos were the result of cold nights on a mountaintop and 2 or more hours of waiting in the car (with frequent checks of the tripod). Even in the Montana summer, the temperatures were 40 degrees and required a hat to cover my ears. , winter coat and gloves.

as you probably know, completely dark skies are are to find and so I made several night time trips to the shooting spot.

Dale

Reactions: Prop Wash
Looks like you had an amazing trip. We love Montana and haven't been for a while. I think you just put it on our 2023 wishlist. Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR