Join Us Now

Montana-Mountains and Rivers-August,2020

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Attention Viewers;
Please view full screen and sound.

DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO unless you have about 11 minutes to enjoy it in one sitting. The last 2 minutes are credits.

We have been visiting Big Sky, Montana for at least the past 20 summers. The area is a paradise of mountains, rivers, and forests, filled with majestic trees and big game animals. Fishing for trout in the many scenic rivers is the best medicine for forgetting everything else in your life.

This film was made with the use of the following gear;
DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone
Nikon D750 DSLR bodies (2)
14-28mm f/2.8 and 28-300mm f 3.5-5.6 lenses
Really Right Stuff tripod
Dynamic Precision Stage One Motion slider and Sapphire PanTilt Head
DJI Osmo Action Camera, DJI Osmo Pocket camera, DJI Osman Mobile 2 Gimbal, Apple iPhone 11 Pro max with 4K video. Lee 10 stop (Big Stopper) 150mm filter, and 100mm Lee 10 stop filter.

Processing of this film required the following amount of time;

Filming. 5 weeks x 7 days a week x 3-4 hours a day+Processing. That is approximate 315 hours.
Still images on memory card. 35.912 GB
Video- 236.03 GB
Total 172 GB.
Editing. So far- 15 days 10 AM to Noon and 12 PM to 6 PM= 8 hours daily x 14 days= 112 hours

Total time spent. =427 hours.

Hope you enjoy it.

A bit long Dale, but fantastic scenery and filming/editing... heroic job!
Yes- it is long, and more than a bit. You are being kind. Which is why I put in the disclaimer. It was produced as an ode to Montana and a meaningful memento to my library. I really hesitated in submitting to the Mavic Forum, because I have been the main person carping all the time about long videos. The additional fact is, I decided not to include the last 5 days of shooting- just too much good material to work with. I still have enough materials to do a video on the spectacular areas not covered in this video. So glad you enjoyed it Tom.

Reactions: Thomas B
Great scenes and an incredible memory for you. Congratulations!

DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO unless you have about 11 minutes to enjoy it in one sitting. The last 2 minutes are credits.
Hi Dale,
I watched without scrolling! Ok, it´s a bit too long and maybe there are a bit too many timelapses. But all things considered I liked it very much. Fantastic landscapes and some of the timelapse are amazing. I saw a strange trembling from 2.51 to 3.02...What was the problem there?
Of course this really are wonderfull memories for you!
Would you mind if I download the video and if I make a shorter version with some corrections? As aretired I have plenty of time and it would be a great pleasure to do it :)

Thanks for sharing the video and have a nice day!
cheers Paul

Dale, I watched every minute full screen on my 13x23 inch monitor. Amazing captures and a wonderful presentation. Thank you.

Dale, I watched every minute full screen on my 13x23 inch monitor. Amazing captures and a wonderful presentation. Thank you.

Hi Dale,
I watched without scrolling! Ok, it´s a bit too long and maybe there are a bit too many timelapses. But all things considered I liked it very much. Fantastic landscapes and some of the timelapse are amazing. I saw a strange trembling from 2.51 to 3.02...What was the problem there?
Of course this really are wonderfull memories for you!
Would you mind if I download the video and if I make a shorter version with some corrections? As aretired I have plenty of time and it would be a great pleasure to do it :)

Thanks for sharing the video and have a nice day!
cheers Paul
Hi Paul and thank you for the nice comments. The video was more of an homage to my favorite place in the world. I see you are 85 and I will be 82 September 9th!!!! 9 days). Still enjoying life, traveling and love my traveling and photography. And with respect to your request, YES by all means go for it and break a leg. (e.g.: do your best at my video). I can send you my e-mail if you want to communicate off the forum but I can do it either way.

I am not sure about the trembling section you mentioned- I'll go back and check it out.

To all of the rest of you out there on this forum, I had about 7 days of material left over. The video was getting too long so I decided to cut it short at 11 minutes (+2 minutes credits which I don't count!). So I am going to start working on Montana-Mountains and Rivers-volume 2! I have lots of really good images, videos, timelapses, drone flights to use.

Last edited:
...and I did...have 11 minutes! Enjoyed is an understatement.
What a production (tttttttime-lapse was awesome, quality was crisp) with some lovely memories for you and yours (who likely caught the trout LOL).
Loved the horse silhouette at 11:09 - not related to Sea Biscuit was he? Likely not, with no tail and a club foot....and not too sure about the 'he' as contours were not that revealing....what a a lovely moment you captured!
I will never get to Montana....but feel I would like to.
Keep them coming Dale and thanks mate ...from Down Under.

...and I did...have 11 minutes! Enjoyed is an understatement.
What a production (tttttttime-lapse was awesome, quality was crisp) with some lovely memories for you and yours (who likely caught the trout LOL).
Loved the horse silhouette at 11:09 - not related to Sea Biscuit was he? Likely not, with no tail and a club foot....and not too sure about the 'he' as contours were not that revealing....what a a lovely moment you captured!
I will never get to Montana....but feel I would like to.
Keep them coming Dale and thanks mate ...from Down Under.
That cutthroat trout was MINE! I fought it for about 15 minutes. It was about 27 inches and weighed 7 pounds. I released it back into the water (as I always do). It was the biggest cutthroat trout I've ever caught.

I have already started on the new video!

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
That cutthroat trout was MINE! I fought it for about 15 minutes. It was about 27 inches and weighed 7 pounds. I released it back into the water (as I always do). It was the biggest cutthroat trout I've ever caught.

I have already started on the new video!
Beautiful job covering a beautiful state and the largest cutthroat I’ve ever seen.
Bill Dunnuck
Naples and the U.

Hi Paul and thank you for the nice comments. The video was more of an homage to my favorite place in the world. I see you are 85 and I will be 82 September 9th!!!! 9 days). Still enjoying life, traveling and love my traveling and photography. And with respect to your request, YES by all means go for it and break a leg. (e.g.: do your best at my video). I can send you my e-mail if you want to communicate off the forum but I can do it either way.

I am not sure about the trembling section you mentioned- I'll go back and check it out.
Hi Dale,
you´r welcome :) Oh you made me older than I am:D I am 77 but soon (February 14) 78! I also enjoy life, even if I do not travel anymore (5 Cats 3 dogs) Anyway I think that you should enjoy life as long as you can and go on fishing and travlling and of course shooting more videos;)
I am right now editing your video. I do some color corrections and cropped the stills to make disappear the black borders.
If you send me your eMail adress I will send you the edited video by WE-Transfer.

have a nice day and cheers Paul

Hi Dale, what an effort you've put in here! So I watched it all the way through to the credits. I was really, really impressed. I'm a sucker for a timelapse and you had some wonderful ones. Some of the footage of the rapids etc were fantastic. The long exposure picture of the rapids is a beauty too. It's a fascinating part of the world, that I'd like to visit one day.

Yes it was too long for someone who hasn't shared those experiences with you. I think had I not read your description beforehand I would have lasted around the 5 minute mark before clicking away. I'm glad I didn't as I would have missed the astrophotography and rapids footage.

Well done, this is a real keepsake and something you can watch back over the years.

Attention Viewers;
Please view full screen and sound.

We have been visiting Big Sky, Montana for at least the past 20 summers. The area is a paradise of mountains, rivers, and forests, filled with majestic trees and big game animals. Fishing for trout in the many scenic rivers is the best medicine for forgetting everything else in your life.

This film was made with the use of the following gear;
DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone
Nikon D750 DSLR bodies (2)
14-28mm f/2.8 and 28-300mm f 3.5-5.6 lenses
Really Right Stuff tripod
Dynamic Precision Stage One Motion slider and Sapphire PanTilt Head
DJI Osmo Action Camera, DJI Osmo Pocket camera, DJI Osman Mobile 2 Gimbal, Apple iPhone 11 Pro max with 4K video. Lee 10 stop (Big Stopper) 150mm filter, and 100mm Lee 10 stop filter.

Processing of this film required the following amount of time;

Filming. 5 weeks x 7 days a week x 3-4 hours a day+Processing. That is approximate 315 hours.
Still images on memory card. 35.912 GB
Video- 236.03 GB
Total 172 GB.
Editing. So far- 15 days 10 AM to Noon and 12 PM to 6 PM= 8 hours daily x 14 days= 112 hours

Total time spent. =427 hours.

Hope you enjoy it.

That was truly an awesome video! Thank you for sharing. I hope that I can learn to shoot timelapses like that. Once again great video!

—Noah

Hi Dale,
you´r welcome :) Oh you made me older than I am:D I am 77 but soon (February 14) 78! I also enjoy life, even if I do not travel anymore (5 Cats 3 dogs) Anyway I think that you should enjoy life as long as you can and go on fishing and travlling and of course shooting more videos;)
I am right now editing your video. I do some color corrections and cropped the stills to make disappear the black borders.
If you send me your eMail adress I will send you the edited video by WE-Transfer.

have a nice day and cheers Paul
e-mail is. [email protected]

I tried to remove the black borders but I cannot crop some images in Premiere like I do in Photoshop.

It is not that I am not aware of these black borders. I have set my parameters in the drone to the correct aspect ratio but some of my other devices cannot be set. Send your re-editing effort to this e-mail. Looking forward to it. Montana-Mountains and Rivers 2020 Volume 2 is now in the works!!! I had so much material left over (about a week's worth of shooting) that I hated to not use that material.

I tried to remove the black borders but I cannot crop some images in Premiere like I do in Photoshop.
It is not that I am not aware of these black borders. I have set my parameters in the drone to the correct aspect ratio but some of my other devices cannot be set. Send your re-editing effort to this e-mail. Looking forward to it. Montana-Mountains and Rivers 2020 Volume 2 is now in the works!!! I had so much material left over (about a week's worth of shooting) that I hated to not use that material.
Hi Dale,
right now I am uploading the file and in about 45minutes I´ll send it!
Of course I supposed that you were aware concerning the black borders;) In my editing program (EDIUS 8.5) fortunatel it works well! I did not remove many shots. I principially made sone colr/contrast/sharpness correctures!
Wow it seems that you really have plenty of material....It´s funt to edit and you surely enjoy it! Thumbswayup
Looking forward to see Volume 2 of Montana!
cheers Paul

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DALE Thumbswayup
Dear Paul:

You are so kind. Thank you. Never thought I'd make it this far, (Age. 82) but I'm feeling great, playing tennis 3-4 times a week and still traveling domestically and internationally, , and flying my Mavic 2 Pro. Still have lots of photo projects. Hope to be able to contribute here for a long time.

You´r welcome Dave! The same here, I am now almost 78 and I never thoght I would make it tis far:) I think tha you surely will go ahead for many years because you are still very active and that´s good for healthThumbswayupThumbswayup
cheers Paul

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N