DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Monument Valley

John Locke

Reactions
This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

Some excellent perspective, flyby, and fly over shots.
Would have avoided the random speed up in one of the panos... maybe just a transition of some type.
BTW, what permitting did the reservation require?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Magnificent (to the max!).

But after checking online, looks like it's legal to fly manned aircraft over the reservation, though not drones (absent permission from the Navajo).

That said, if someone took off and landed outside the park, not sure how they could prohibit overflight.

Last edited:
BTW, what permitting did the reservation require?
I flew from the highway, about 3 miles north in Utah, outside the regular paid visitor area in AZ. There are several roadside turnouts, convenient for photographers to stop and take photos.

Last edited:
Wonderful !
Yes so you didn't fly above the "tribal area" probably a good idea. I'm not sure the "tolerance" to take off outside and fly above, as can apparently be done for National Parks, would go down too well.

This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

Great video

Let me be another to praise this great video! I loved the flying, the scenery, and the music. The editing was spot on. I am not as a good a pilot in doing those circles around the mittens and buttes. Hopefully I won't crash into one of them. Have been flying for 2 years.

I happen to be personally very interested because I have just canceled my trip to Monument Valley after months of planning, because of the coronavirus. I canceled a three day stay at the View Cabins and a sunset tour as well. I hope to reschedule in September if corona is subdued. I really would appreciate any tips on this forum or as a conversation or off forum as to places where I could get shots with the Mavic 2 Pro without taking off from the park. Can you contact me?

Dale
Miami

I liked the "speed-ups" in the early portion of the video.....I don't know how to do that in Resolve. What is the workflow?
SE Utah is world-class beautiful. We're super lucky to have it here in the US.

Let me be another to praise this great video! I loved the flying, the scenery, and the music. The editing was spot on. I am not as a good a pilot in doing those circles around the mittens and buttes. Hopefully I won't crash into one of them. Have been flying for 2 years.

I happen to be personally very interested because I have just canceled my trip to Monument Valley after months of planning, because of the coronavirus. I canceled a three day stay at the View Cabins and a sunset tour as well. I hope to reschedule in September if corona is subdued. I really would appreciate any tips on this forum or as a conversation or off forum as to places where I could get shots with the Mavic 2 Pro without taking off from the park. Can you contact me?

Dale
Miami
Hi Dale,
Try for Moab.......expensive in September, but worth it, for sure. Arches and Island in the Sky are highlights. Drive to Lake Powell and rent a powerboat if you get a chance. This is a spectacular experience.

Beautiful job!

Thank you. Well done. My next task will be to goon Goggle Earth and find that Utah Highway north of the Tribal lands. We are planning to be in the area perhaps this fall. About how far from the launch did you have to fly for this spectacular scenery? Thanks

Absolutely Fantastic, If I get half as good as that I will be a very happy person

I live 75 miles from Monument Valley. From the San Juan River at Mexican Hat community to the South, the entire huge area is Navajo Reservation. This includes that part of Utah. The Navajo Monument Valley Park is more strictly controlled than the area outside the park but it is all Navajo Reservation. I have photographed the area, including inside the park, many times but have not yet flown my Mavic 2 pro there. I loved the video and shared it with my wife who also knows that area very well. Great flying!
There is a BLM area about 20 miles North of Monument Valley and in Utah, called Valley of the Gods. The scenery is not as well known as Monument Valley and maybe not as spectacular but wonderful to see and magnificent to fly.

I live 75 miles from Monument Valley. From the San Juan River at Mexican Hat community to the South, the entire huge area is Navajo Reservation. This includes that part of Utah. The Navajo Monument Valley Park is more strictly controlled than the area outside the park but it is all Navajo Reservation. I have photographed the area, including inside the park, many times but have not yet flown my Mavic 2 pro there. I loved the video and shared it with my wife who also knows that area very well. Great flying!
There is a BLM area about 20 miles North of Monument Valley and in Utah, called Valley of the Gods. The scenery is not as well known as Monument Valley and maybe not as spectacular but wonderful to see and magnificent to fly.
Yes- Valley of the Gods was definitely on my list. If you have any special access roads or favorites points from which to film, I'd love your feedback. I am deferring my trip until September now. Had planned Monument Valley 3 days, Moab 3 days, and Sedona (Enchantment Resort) 3 days. Have had some feedback re: Valley of the Gods and it looks like a promising point to get some aerial footage of the formations.

Reactions: NDWildBill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa