DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Moonrise and Jupiter over the city

scro

Reactions
I'm consistently impressed with the low light capabilities of the Mini3. 1/3sec exposure and not a hint of camera shake. I usually take a few shots when the shutter speed gets low, but every shot was sharp! In hindsight I should have taken a shorter exposure for the moon as it is totally blown out. Managed to get Jupiter quite clearly too (upper left corner)

Dusk.jpg

Is it wishful thinking on my part or has it managed to capture Juipter's rings? Supposedly they are not visible .....but......

• Haha
Reactions: Rchawks
on full magnification of the image it does appear that the rings are visible,but its probably an optical aberration ,due to the atmosphere

I must admit I hadn't noticed that. It does look a lot like rings, but I think @old man mavic is right and it's an aberration. Quite a few of the bright lights have a few small streaks coming out of them that could look like planet rings too.

Is it wishful thinking on my part or has it managed to capture Juipter's rings? Supposedly they are not visible .....but......
Saturn?
Jupiter has rings but they are are very faint.
They weren't discovered until 1979.

It's definitely Jupiter, as it's in the right part of the sky (ESE, approx 18deg above horizon) for the time, day and location (approx 17:00 on 3rd Nov, UK). Saturn was also seemingly just visible, but would have been just out of the frame, to the right. It certainly wasn't nearly as visible as Jupiter. Tonight the moon and Jupiter are very close to each other - only 3deg apart!

I've seen the rings on Saturn once, and it looked uncannily like what's in the photo! However, that was only possible with a high magnification eyepiece on a telescope and not a relatively wide angle lens on a drone.

It's definitely Jupiter, as it's in the right part of the sky (ESE, approx 18deg above horizon) for the time, day and location (approx 17:00 on 3rd Nov, UK). Saturn was also seemingly just visible, but would have been just out of the frame, to the right. It certainly wasn't nearly as visible as Jupiter. Tonight the moon and Jupiter are very close to each other

I've seen the rings on Saturn once, and it looked uncannily like what's in the photo! However, that was only possible with a high magnification eyepiece on a telescope and not a relatively wide angle lens on a drone.
Yes, it's Jupiter.
But the suggestions of rings are confusing Jupiter with Saturn.
The faint rings of Jupiter are only visible with the very largest telescopes on earth.

But the suggestions of rings are confusing Jupiter with Saturn.
No confusion here, lol, I checked whether or not Juipter had rings before I posted. Hence "Supposedly they are not visible....."

I'm consistently impressed with the low light capabilities of the Mini3. 1/3sec exposure and not a hint of camera shake. I usually take a few shots when the shutter speed gets low, but every shot was sharp! In hindsight I should have taken a shorter exposure for the moon as it is totally blown out. Managed to get Jupiter quite clearly too (upper left corner)

View attachment 156728
AEB at the 5 exposure setting and significant underexposure might have resulted in good detail on both the moon and the foreground. The correct exposure for the full moon is nearly identical to the correct exposure for a sunny day landscape. It is REALLY bright.

AEB at the 5 exposure setting and significant underexposure might have resulted in good detail on both the moon and the foreground. The correct exposure for the full moon is nearly identical to the correct exposure for a sunny day landscape. It is REALLY bright.
Perhaps just 2 exposures would have done, 1 exposed as per the image, and one exposed for the moon and ferris wheel. At least that's what I had in mind, rather that using AEB.

No rings, you couldn't possibly see Jupiter's rings with a drone they are far to dimIMG_0757.jpeg. Although Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all have rings, only Saturns can be seen in an amateur telescope.

Reactions: Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada