DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Speculation #GPSGATE

Suren

Reactions
So what would everyone tell me if i have to speculate and say that the Airsense not working and GPS slow aquistion times are linked/related? Why i say this is that both have degraded very badly since the Decmber update to a point it barely works for some and does for a few. How can this be explained? I am not technical enough in that field to provide that but my theory is that:

The drone has to have an accurate GPS lock for Airsense to function- right? What if to fix the GPS issues, Dji dumbed down Airsense so the satelite locks could be faster. Or maybe because Airsense was working properly and very senistively during the 0300 and 0400 FW and GPS was not, Dji had to turn that down- Their version "optimise Airsense" but they did that to the extent it does not work anymore, not even if you are in an airfield with numerous planes like we have seen tests? It ias what if this and what if that for now but i have this speculation and a gut feeling that these 2 items are highly linked and Dji's problem - Again just Speculation as i am no engineer.

Can some one who understand this 100% debunk it and explain why? I know we cannot prove it and only Dji can BUT both issues started going downhill after December. Airsense worked right till 0500 but now at 0600, nothing-nadda-not even a peep from Airsense yet GPS for those with seldomly or not working airsense is now much faster than before- Why? Too many variables at play here but you know when you have that GUT feeling but just cannot prove it, thats what i have.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
So what would everyone tell me if i have to speculate and say that the Airsense not working and GPS slow aquistion times are linked/related? Why i say this is that both have degraded very badly since the Decmber update to a point it barely works for some and does for a few. How can this be explained? I am not technical enough in that field to provide that but my theory is that:

The drone has to have an accurate GPS lock for Airsense to function- right? What if to fix the GPS issues, Dji dumbed down Airsense so the satelite locks could be faster. Or maybe because Airsense was working properly and very senistively during the 0300 and 0400 FW and GPS was not, Dji had to turn that down- Their version "optimise Airsense" but they did that to the extent it does not work anymore, not even if you are in an airfield with numerous planes like we have seen tests? It ias what if this and what if that for now but i have this speculation and a gut feeling that these 2 items are highly linked and Dji's problem - Again just Speculation as i am no engineer.

Can some one who understand this 100% debunk it and explain why? I know we cannot prove it and only Dji can BUT both issues started going downhill after December. Airsense worked right till 0500 but now at 0600, nothing-nadda-not even a peep from Airsense yet GPS for those with seldomly or not working airsense is now much faster than before- Why? Too many variables at play here but you know when you have that GUT feeling but just cannot prove it, thats what i have.
Its all just endless speculation. The way that the last update fixed GPS on some Mavic 3s and not others points toward a combination of hardware and firmware issues. I wouldn't rule out that DJI knows exactly what is happening and that new Mavic 3s roll out of the factory without the GPS issues. Your suspicion that the GPS fixes are what is breaking Airsense could be spot on.

The Mavic 3 has to stuff a bunch of components in a tight space. Those components if not properly shielded from one another could be interfering with the incoming signals from GPS and Airsense. My own M3 does not collect close to the number of available satellites and as a result has trouble locking the home point and even drops them during flight.

DJI is using one firmware to address all of the M3s problems so if there are differences in the components or shielding inside it will be difficult to fix all of the Mavic 3s. Targeted firmware patches for affected drones may be the only software method of fixing the current problems. In a worst case scenario for DJI, a recall may be necessary to swap out the Mavics with issues.

Its all just endless speculation. The way that the last update fixed GPS on some Mavic 3s and not others points toward a combination of hardware and firmware issues. I wouldn't rule out that DJI knows exactly what is happening and that new Mavic 3s roll out of the factory without the GPS issues. Your suspicion that the GPS fixes are what is breaking Airsense could be spot on.

The Mavic 3 has to stuff a bunch of components in a tight space. Those components if not properly shielded from one another could be interfering with the incoming signals from GPS and Airsense. My own M3 does not collect close to the number of available satellites and as a result has trouble locking the home point and even drops them during flight.

DJI is using one firmware to address all of the M3s problems so if there are differences in the components or shielding inside it will be difficult to fix all of the Mavic 3s. Targeted firmware patches for affected drones may be the only software method of fixing the current problems. In a worst case scenario for DJI, a recall may be necessary to swap out the Mavics with issues.
I doubt they will do a recall as it would mean they would need to admit they stuffed up which is unlikely to happen, it might snow first where I live.

Airsense not working is interesting and potentially relevant in that it sits on the same board (possible source of RF complication). But it could also be coincidental. We don't know how one could impact the other beyond RF. It seems that Airsense in its crippled state does not benefit time-to-first-homepoint in a noticeable way.

GPS is not required to receive ADS-B signals but it is required to filter based on a geofence centered on the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405