DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Windows than drone related but wondered if anyone can help please ?

warpfactor55

Reactions
I am using a MM and when I take stills I like to look at them on a pc running Windows 8.1 using Office 2010 (desktop with a large screen). Normally all images open so that you can see everything so at a % which is less than 100% if it's a large file, i.e. the image fits the screen. That happens with photos. taken with my camera and 'phone and they are all JPEGS. When I download photos. taken by the MM they are also JPEGS and also open so that they fit the screen of the pc. i.e. just the same as my camera and 'phone. But when viewing all of the jpegs from the camera and phone if I open them up to say 100% I get the hand tool to move them around. But when I do that with the MM images sometimes I get the hand tool and sometimes I don't in which case I have to use the slide bars on the right and bottom of the screen. I can't see why this happens on just some of the MM images. Does anyone have any ideas please ? TIA for any help.

Your screen size is probably less than the actual pictures being taken by the drone.

Your screen might be only 1080p, and the pictures from the drone might be 4k.

A 4k screen would most likely solve the problem, but you can use the program's zoom in/out functions.

I am using a MM and when I take stills I like to look at them on a pc running Windows 8.1 using Office 2010 (desktop with a large screen). Normally all images open so that you can see everything so at a % which is less than 100% if it's a large file, i.e. the image fits the screen. That happens with photos. taken with my camera and 'phone and they are all JPEGS. When I download photos. taken by the MM they are also JPEGS and also open so that they fit the screen of the pc. i.e. just the same as my camera and 'phone. But when viewing all of the jpegs from the camera and phone if I open them up to say 100% I get the hand tool to move them around. But when I do that with the MM images sometimes I get the hand tool and sometimes I don't in which case I have to use the slide bars on the right and bottom of the screen. I can't see why this happens on just some of the MM images. Does anyone have any ideas please ? TIA for any help.

I use an old version of Office Picture Manage if I need a quick view of a jpg because it opens more rapidly than any verison of Photoshop I own. However I do not use it for any type of evaluation other than to see what's in the image. I would suggest using a different program dedicated for image viewing/editing other than Office 2010 if you want critical viewing and basic editing/correction capabilities If you're going to be taking a lot of images I'd suggest ponying up the $80 for Photoshop Elements which is a purchase, not "software rental" like their other higher end stuff. I'm sure others can recommend other programs that have similar functions to full Photoshop at a fraction of the cost, just like Davinci Resolve is available for video editing and Reaper is available for audio editing.

I'd suggest not using Office for photography work - it's just not the right tool for the job. If you're just looking to view images, check out Irfanview. It's free, simple, and if you don't need to edit, lets you view a wide variety of image files.

Reactions: Jeff A
I think I may have confused some of you by the way in which I asked the question. I am probably 60-70% conversant with PSE but my question is much more simple. If I go to my pc now and open a jpeg (using the default Office 2010) and then zoom in at whatever % is more than the whole image fitting on the screen my cursor changes to the hand tool and I can move the image around so that I can see that part of it that I want to see but in greater detail because I have zoomed in. Some of the images from my MM also behave like that but some don't. When I open any MM jpegs they always open so that I can see the complete image but if I zoom in sometimes I still get the hand tool but sometimes my cursor doesn't change and if I want to see other parts of the image that I can't otherwise see because I have zoomed in then I have to use the slide bars. It's just a simple thing but I find it rather irritating.

Still confused
I don't understand why you open jpeg’s by using Office.
Why not open them with a photo viewer ?

Still confused
I don't understand why you open jpeg’s by using Office.
Why not open them with a photo viewer ?
Because it is just so easy to double click an image. To use the "Open with" option you have to right click the image and then choose which option you want to use. Having opened the image with Office you can do all sorts of simple editing things like re-size, play with brightness, contrast, crop, etc. etc. If I want to get serious about altering the image I usually use PSE. But my whole point in all of this is that when I zoom in then most of the time I get the hand symbol which enables me to move around the image but in some of my MM shots the cursor remains as it is and doesn't change into a hand symbol.

Because it is just so easy to double click an image. To use the "Open with" option you have to right click the image and then choose which option you want to use. Having opened the image with Office you can do all sorts of simple editing things like re-size, play with brightness, contrast, crop, etc. etc. If I want to get serious about altering the image I usually use PSE. But my whole point in all of this is that when I zoom in then most of the time I get the hand symbol which enables me to move around the image but in some of my MM shots the cursor remains as it is and doesn't change into a hand symbol.
Just change the default image viewer in Windows to a program made to view photos. Once you change the default, you can double click a jpeg and it will open in the program that you have selected as your default image viewer. If PSE is slow for you I second the recommendation for IrfanView. You can download it for free in 32 bit or 64 bit versions BY CLICKING HERE.

Last edited:
Just change the default image viewer in Windows to a program made to view photos. Once you change the default, you can double click a jpeg and it will open in the program that you have selected as your default image viewer. If PSE is slow for you I second the recommendation for IrfanView. You can download it for free in 32 bit or 64 bit versions BY CLICKING HERE.
Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+