DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motion Blur Image when turning/rotating

jclacerda

Reactions
Hi Guys

For starters, I am not a PRO user...
I fly pretty well, done some videos and shots at home and some international trips that I had...
No problem so far...
I am going to Vietnam, Cambodja and Laos this weekend so I am hoping to record a lot of good stuff...

So my question is this....

When I am filiming, I notice that, if I move the Mavic a litttle bit faster right or left, the image becomens a bit motion blured..but when i stop it becomes perfect...
I know the movements on the mavic have to be soft and kinda slow but i saw some other peoples filming stuff and they go left and right same speed that i do and their image is crystal perfect...Mine i turn a little bit faster and there goes the quality...

Is there a setting that i have done or have to do to fix this???

Last edited:
Generally all you would need to do is raise the shutter speed. A good method is to start with ISO set to the lowest (which is 100( and then raising the shutter speed until the exposure looks good. In the case of the Mavic, you also must consider the codec for compressing the video is weak, and so picking an appropriate color profile can affect blur. Also, note that 1920x1080@24fps is going to give you the highest bits per pixel, and can further reduce blur and smearing.

Reactions: SteveM
Hi Pathogen

Thanks for the heads up.
I was with the idea that filming 2.7K 30fps would be the "best" settings for filming.
Color Profile i use (wrong or right) - D- Cinelike...
WB usually is according to weather.
As for the sytles I do not feel "confortable" tampering with those so i believe I left them untouched...

With ND Filter, SUNNY(WB), no idea of the shutter speed :)
No chance now to post samples (@work)...
But I do believe that the lack of shutter speed setting may help to reduce the motion blur when turning during filming...
Have to try it out.
It is advisable to change the colour profile? Browsing the web for this info is like looking for the true meaning of life...

You want some amount of motion blur. That’s the point of using ND filters.

I had the same issue as you when first started with mavic.

If your using filters to acheive low shutter speeds you need to yaw very slowly.

If your watching videos of people panning quickly, chances are they are shooting with a higher shutter speed.

If your target shutter is 1/60 try upping to 1/100.

Really??
I really have to update my defintion of ND FILTERS.

Yes, really. You use ND filters to lower the shutter speed. Why do you want a slower shutter speed? To allow for some motion blur so the video looks more natural and less digital.

The question is how slow is too slow. And how fast is your yaw speed? You might need to slow that down so the Mavic isn’t whipping left and right too fast.

Reactions: eek
Got it, but the problem is I am turning slow and just a slight of turn speed increase gives a strange motion blur on the image that disapears completely when i stop turning...

I've tried yesterday to upload one or two saple videos byut my internent connection was not into it.

But check this example i saw on Youtube. Skip to 1:15... See the turning and moving withou any excessive blur???

This is what is not happening on my filiming.

Nevertheless I have to try setting the shutter speed different,

Just dont use nd filter and lower the shutter speed until you are satisfied. This nonsense that shutter should be twice the framerate is absolutely subjectve and imo gives subpar video quality compared to no filters and lower shutter on mavic. Try to find which settings you like and not follow the cinema production rules which does not even apply to subpar mavic camera..

Reactions: Pathogen
I'll have to try again with differente settings.
I will have a lot of time these next two weeks.

Just a quick question...

4K, 2.7K or 1080p filming?
I do not own any dispaly that can really display above 1080p, however I have a powerfull computer that handles all kind of video definition for editting...

Reactions: facasi
You can try using 2k. I use it and get quite good quality video. Havent tried with 1080p, but there are lots of posts that 1080p and at least 60fps has some software problems in mavic that results in poor quality. I downscale video to 1080p in post production anyway and havent noticed a huge difference between 4k and 2k so just went with 2k.. Just experiment with settings, especially with shutter speed and sharpness and compare the videos you get, I am sure you will find the settings you like:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98