DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motivation to fly more

domo9

Reactions
New to the forums here :)

I'm reaching out to see really what can motivate me to fly more. I have always had the intention of getting out and flying, but I can only fly so much around my house/neighborhood. I have a 6 and 3 year old which keep me busy, but am looking for advice on when people find time to fly.

I was hoping to get 2-3 hours a week, but at this point it's more like 2-3 hours a month... Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I understand your dilemma. For me, I try to think of places that are visually interesting to film from the air. Look for beautiful landscapes, interesting activities or just fun places to explore. Also, make some short videos of your missions and share them with others. This will make your flying have purpose and also challenge you to keep flying better and capturing more interesting footage.

Reactions: domo9
I understand your dilemma and suffer a bit from it myself for various reasons and emphathize how much time small children take up in our lives, though all my children are grown, but grandchildren are a constantly reminder.

Motivation comes differently for different people, but I have a few suggestions. Try defining filming projects for yourself. Find a place you'd like to film and make a plan, something that you can get excited about. Flying for the sake of flying itself can get old.

One source that might help, but cost you $25 is downloading the Litchi app. You don't say which drone you're flying, but in this instance I don't think it matters. With Litchi you can plan missions and fly them virtually on your computer. And let's say that Litchi doesn't support your drone. It shouldn't matter because you're using it as a motivator. You can always go out and fly it manually even though you can't use Litchi with your drone. Just planning missions on your computer can be motivating and help reduce the frustration.

I truly understand only flying in your back yard or nearby. But it is important to understand the importance of flying where you can when you can. FLYING IS A PERISHABLE SKILL. You need practice so that when it's go-time to do a project you're smooth, confident, not fumbling around having jerky footage. I speak from personal experience. At this moment I can't travel to my project, but am trying to just get outside to rebuild my skillset. I am taking time to work on precision, which has let me to re-examine my settings in both drones and learning to use more of the functions that come with them.

I understand your dilemma. For me, I try to think of places that are visually interesting to film from the air. Look for beautiful landscapes, interesting activities or just fun places to explore. Also, make some short videos of your missions and share them with others. This will make your flying have purpose and also challenge you to keep flying better and capturing more interesting footage.
Appreciate the response. I’m planning a few trips within the next few weeks and I’m looking forward to testing out the M3. One other thing I wanted to explore honing my skills on is post flight editing of my footage.

I understand your dilemma and suffer a bit from it myself for various reasons and emphathize how much time small children take up in our lives, though all my children are grown, but grandchildren are a constantly reminder.

Motivation comes differently for different people, but I have a few suggestions. Try defining filming projects for yourself. Find a place you'd like to film and make a plan, something that you can get excited about. Flying for the sake of flying itself can get old.

One source that might help, but cost you $25 is downloading the Litchi app. You don't say which drone you're flying, but in this instance I don't think it matters. With Litchi you can plan missions and fly them virtually on your computer. And let's say that Litchi doesn't support your drone. It shouldn't matter because you're using it as a motivator. You can always go out and fly it manually even though you can't use Litchi with your drone. Just planning missions on your computer can be motivating and help reduce the frustration.

I truly understand only flying in your back yard or nearby. But it is important to understand the importance of flying where you can when you can. FLYING IS A PERISHABLE SKILL. You need practice so that when it's go-time to do a project you're smooth, confident, not fumbling around having jerky footage. I speak from personal experience. At this moment I can't travel to my project, but am trying to just get outside to rebuild my skillset. I am taking time to work on precision, which has let me to re-examine my settings in both drones and learning to use more of the functions that come with them.
I have a big family trip up to Nova Scotia in July and I definitely want to prepare for that. I will definitely look into the Litchi app, thanks for the suggestion. I’m planning on focusing on understanding the features of the M3 far more than I did with my M2P. I want to be able to tell a “story” with my footage at some point. I’ll share with the community once I get better at it.

I was so focused and impressed with the automated flight features like active track that I didn’t focus enough on manual flight. Appreciate the advice, thanks!

Use Google Earth to explore your area. You'll probably find things that will pique your interest. Things you normally wouldn't consider. Today I was out shooting a water tower at the beach.

I have a big family trip up to Nova Scotia in July and I definitely want to prepare for that. I will definitely look into the Litchi app, thanks for the suggestion. I’m planning on focusing on understanding the features of the M3 far more than I did with my M2P. I want to be able to tell a “story” with my footage at some point. I’ll share with the community once I get better at it.

I was so focused and impressed with the automated flight features like active track that I didn’t focus enough on manual flight. Appreciate the advice, thanks!
Do you still have the M2P? Litchi supports it and you would be able to do some actual automated flying. The SDK on the M3 isn't out yet and it might be awhile.

However, if you sign into the Litchi Hub with your account and open the missions button and go to "explore" you will see missions that other folks have done all over the world. It might give you some ideas for flying in Nova Scotia. Eventually Litchi will support the M3, so you won't have wasted your money, just be delayed in using it to the full extent.

Do you still have the M2P? Litchi supports it and you would be able to do some actual automated flying. The SDK on the M3 isn't out yet and it might be awhile.

However, if you sign into the Litchi Hub with your account and open the missions button and go to "explore" you will see missions that other folks have done all over the world. It might give you some ideas for flying in Nova Scotia. Eventually Litchi will support the M3, so you won't have wasted your money, just be delayed in using it to the full extent.
I do still have the body, but it won't turn on :(

Use Google Earth to explore your area. You'll probably find things that will pique your interest. Things you normally wouldn't consider. Today I was out shooting a water tower at the beach.
Good call, I know of some small bodies of water I can check out within my town. Thanks for the advice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000