DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moto and 2S

yoohah

Reactions
Has anyone ridden with the 2S and a motorcycle? Is the tracking better than previous models? Do you find the drone useful in the motorcycle trips (vlogging purpose or taking aerials)? Do you have enough time for drone photo/video shooting when travelling with motorcycle?

... Do you find the drone useful in the motorcycle trips? Do you have enough time for drone photo/video shooting when travelling with motorcycle?
That's highly individual ...

All depends on how your travel plan looks like, what kind of bike & in which terrain you're biking.

Am myself into the offroad segment of biking ... but it spans all the way from mostly asphalt relaxed touring with multi-day stretches up on 350-400km ending for the night in some pre rented hut or tent on a camping ground ... with a bigger BMW to single day fire road fun border lining to enduro with a small KTM.

All my trips have some sort of time schedule as they are full days & not only hourly rides locally... it's hard to spoil extra time setting up ... letting the drone take attention away from the riding when it's airborne & then land and pack up ... especially if travelling in a larger group. Have found out that a GoPro, helmet or bike mounted during day time & droning once settling in for the night (with some purpose made biking scenes shot then when time isn't a factor anymore) is the perfect combination ... if I have room to store the drone, which I never really have though.

Indeed it's highly individual.
I don't have a destination in mind when I ride a motorcycle. I have the adventure in mind.
Sure I do check the map for points of interest near me, but I won't set my mind to one location and then not add additional time for interesting things along the road.
When it comes to active tracking for vehicles, I have not had Air 2, but I did order Air 2s and I plan to make it follow me.

I gave it a try today for the first time.
Didn't work. It just pissed me off big time.
I did manage to get it to track me for 2 seconds before it lost tracking. Why, I have no idea. But then the other issues started piling up.

First, it did not want to recognize my motorcycle as a vehicle (it's a Kawasaki Vulcan S, and it's not a small motorcycle).
Then when I tried to track myself, it wouldn't recognize me as a human being (I felt offended a bit, haha), even when I took off the helmet.
Then it started complaining that it's too dark, even though it was rather bright dusk (we don't have a lot of darkness in Sweden this time of the year). I tried jacking up the ISO and exposure compensation but it didn't work.

Love the camera quality and the speed of the drone though. ******* epic. Bought it mostly to photograph/record car racing as I work as motorsport photographer.

Tried it again, while it was a bit brighter. Worked mostly good enough. Usually lost me when I was turning or going faster than 40km/h.

I have no video as I have not had time to process them yet, but here's a photo:

217211775_10165608553925121_4378342943359682521_n.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair