DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Motocycle practice follow

shutterguy

Reactions
Hello fello Mav pilots, here is my attempt to follow and track my friend on his motorcycle. Him coming toward me was pretty easy, trying to follow from behind and go over top was a lot harder. I did these in manual flying mode, I wasn't sure if the Active Track would be able to keep up.

Last edited:
I can see how that would be hard. While one can adjust the yaw rate on many DJI drones, getting control of the rate of yaw and even finely controlling speed is difficult. When taping stationary subjects the only thing that matters is smoothness. But getting a feel for timing is probably the most challenging thing. I assume it all has to be done FPV which makes it more difficult unless you're really practiced at it.

I can see how that would be hard. While one can adjust the yaw rate on many DJI drones, getting control of the rate of yaw and even finely controlling speed is difficult. When taping stationary subjects the only thing that matters is smoothness. But getting a feel for timing is probably the most challenging thing. I assume it all has to be done FPV which makes it more difficult unless you're really practiced at it.

We definitely did like 20 takes of the 2nd clip, a few times I had it perfect, made an idiot mistake not pressing the record button. Definitely FPV mode, fortunately we had an open parking lot so plenty of room to practice.

You should try Active Track. You have a fast Drone! :cool:

Reactions: shutterguy
Up to 40 mph with MA2 assuming no obstructions. I put Velcro on the controller and mount it on my tank bag.

Very nice! That is wide open area you are in, very scenic too. I will have to try the activetrack when shooting my friends bike. I have tried it while on my motorcycle but I had to use the slow mode because I was in a park with a lot of trees around.

Last edited:
That's really good..most following shots don't have that scope. Did you have to nudge the altitude? Whatever you did you did a great job!

Hello fello Mav pilots, here is my attempt to follow and track my friend on his motorcycle. Him coming toward me was pretty easy, trying to follow from behind and go over top was a lot harder. I did these in manual flying mode, I wasn't sure if the Active Track would be able to keep up.

You were right to free hand the shots. Active Track simply will not keep up past about 10-12 MPH in my experience. It's more for walkers, pedalers , joggers, etc.

You were right to free hand the shots. Active Track simply will not keep up past about 10-12 MPH in my experience. It's more for walkers, pedalers , joggers, etc.

That's true in normal mode with sensors active, but if you're in the open like a speed boat sport mode with sensors will go about 40 mph.

Here's a video

Reactions: shutterguy
I’ve been looking at how to do better follow shots and normally use manual and fly it myself. Active track doesn’t work well around trees. Lol! The skydio 2 looks like a great rc for following subjects though.

I’ve been looking at how to do better follow shots and normally use manual and fly it myself. Active track doesn’t work well around trees. Lol! The skydio 2 looks like a great rc for following subjects though.

I noticed this. I had my Mav follow me in the park on my motorcycle and I cut a corner too sharp and it almost got caught in a tree.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun