DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor covers for Mavic Mini. Safe?

svenmarbles

Reactions
Hey everyone, I picked up a MM yesterday. I hadn’t ever really handled one in person before buying one, and the one thing that alarmed me
Is how exposed the motor coils are. I’m a metal worker and metal “dust” is very commonly on my person no matter how careful I am. Those motors would literally be a magnet for contamination.

I saw that there are aftermarket caps that conceal the motors, but would you then need to be concerned with a heating problem? Are they exposed the way they are just because of a weight trim down, or are these some sort of higher RPM motors that need to breathe. All other DJI drones motors are concealed and do fine...

Hey everyone, I picked up a MM yesterday. I hadn’t ever really handled one in person before buying one, and the one thing that alarmed me
Is how exposed the motor coils are. I’m a metal worker and metal “dust” is very commonly on my person no matter how careful I am. Those motors would literally be a magnet for contamination.

I saw that there are aftermarket caps that conceal the motors, but would you then need to be concerned with a heating problem? Are they exposed the way they are just because of a weight trim down, or are these some sort of higher RPM motors that need to breathe. All other DJI drones motors are concealed and do fine...
actually all DJI type drones have open top motors, some more so than others it is more a design feature to allow some cooling air to go through the motor and in the case of the MM weight was probably a consideration in the amount of open areas as well as cooling

Just by feeling the temperature by hand after a ride I do remember they don't get very warm.

I've got the motor covers in red aluminum, they look really nice on it :)

Reactions: svenmarbles
Just received the machined aluminum Red Covers for my MM and have read a lot of posts on the subject. I haven’t installed them yet, but it looks 50/50 on the consensus on their use. I’ll try them as I think the caps will help keep the debris out of the motor better.

Reactions: m80116
Since on the subject, can we reuse the screws as long as we clean off the cured lock tight and re-apply new in place of it?

may this helps..
One small concern. In the video when the props were removed and replaced there was no mention of using new screws. As I understand it the MM prop screws come pre-coated with Loctite and should not be reused. Please correct me if I am wrong.

One small concern. In the video when the props were removed and replaced there was no mention of using new screws. As I understand it the MM prop screws come pre-coated with Loctite and should not be reused. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As I can see he didn't replace the props.. so no need to replace screws maybe?

As I can see he didn't replace the props.. so no need to replace screws maybe?
It doesn’t matter if you replace the props or not. Once you remove the screws new screws which have been coated with Loctite should used according to what I have read. I suppose the old screws could be reused if cleaned up and Loctite applied? Loctite as I am sure you know prevents screws from becoming loose due to vibration etc.

It doesn’t matter if you replace the props or not. Once you remove the screws new screws which have been coated with Loctite should used according to what I have read. I suppose the old screws could be reused if cleaned up and Loctite applied? Loctite as I am sure you know prevents screws from becoming loose due to vibration etc.

Really dont know... Manual and video instructions does not clarify it properly

If you apply new loctite to the old screws you will be fine.

Reactions: atsphenomenon
You are right, this is the recommendation according to DJI, however we have forum members who replaced the props and had to reuse the old screws and it's perfectly fine. It's not like all loctite is gone once you unscrew. Use common sense and visually inspect them before you decide what to do.

Btw.. I have ordered mine at the beginning of December, but they are yet to be delivered as they are blocked in customs for a month now. Now in the winter the temps are going to be ok.

I don't think weight would be an issue....each motor cover is between .7-.8 grams.... all four weighs about 2.7 grams.

as for the the question about the motor heating up.... since the motor covers are made of aluminium... it should absorb and dissipate heat.

I guess it all boils down to user preference but the main reason I think people buy it is to reduce the chance of dust/sand getting in the motors.

If you apply new loctite to the old screws you will be fine.

Is it really worth the risk? New screws are pennies compared to the price of a new MM. A no brainer for me really.

Is it really worth the risk? New screws are pennies compared to the price of a new MM. A no brainer for me really.

no, it's not worth it, but if you need it... is a solution

I started to put motor covers on this morning and found them to be loose and flopping around. I did not proceed further. I thought they would fit somewhat tight but there was slack in them once props were screwed down. I ditched them and figure I will just leave alone. I used new screws in the props I took off.

There is another model of motor covers that uses four screws. Covers are tight and the blades are raised slightly to avoid scraping. Drone Valley sells them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98