DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor replacement question.

heshiebee

Reactions
I crashed my drone and bent my front left motor. I’m looking to purchase a replacement and I was wondering if all the motors are interchangeable and it doesn’t matter from which arm the replacement comes from.B76843D3-6A2B-4D36-A4B5-2266B53FAD82.jpeg

Have you tried to scan the QR Code on the Propeller mount. Without removing the propellers on my Mini 2, the QR Codes on the two Front motors are different, but the props obscure part so I cannot scan them. It might only refer to whether they are Clockwise and Counter-Clockwise rotators. Or, perhaps the code will give the manufacturers info. Scan them and let us know what you find out, inquiring minds want to know...

Reactions: heshiebee
Have you tried to scan the QR Code on the Propeller mount. Without removing the propellers on my Mini 2, the QR Codes on the two Front motors are different, but the props obscure part so I cannot scan them. It might only refer to whether they are Clockwise and Counter-Clockwise rotators. Or, perhaps the code will give the manufacturers info. Scan them and let us know what you find out, inquiring minds want to know...
Thanks, I’ll take a look tomorrow. Hypothetically if they’re just CW or CCW I can probably flip the wiring. I’ll test tomorrow and let you know.

That must have been a heck of a bang to bend the rotor plate!
The clockwise/anti-clockwise rotation is determined by the connection to the ESC.
These are effectively three phase motors, reverse any two of the three wires and the motor will go the other way.

That must have been a heck of a bang to bend the rotor plate!
The clockwise/anti-clockwise rotation is determined by the connection to the ESC.
These are effectively three phase motors, reverse any two of the three wires and the motor will go the other way.
Awesome, will try!

The QR codes all seem to be different so it’s probably as @cheddar-man said just CW and CCW connections.

Attachments

• 82DF44DA-25CC-4BB9-8839-3BA4F7528587.jpeg
    82DF44DA-25CC-4BB9-8839-3BA4F7528587.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 3
The QR codes all seem to be different so it’s probably as @cheddar-man said just CW and CCW connections.
I'm guessing that the "FR, FL, and the BL" are referring to Front Right, Front Left, and Back Left, so yes it probably refers to the CW and CCW Motor Rotation, but it also means that the Wiring Length and connections are probably different. Otherwise the FR and BL would have the same part number.

Both the FR and BL motors are CCW rotating, which use the "Marked" propellers, while the FL and BR motors are CW rotating motors without marks on the propellers…

props.png

You should have no problem finding a replacement motor on eBay (Crashed Unit) or one of the many "Drone Rehab Houses." I do not know if you can get a motor directly from DJI, but it's worth a try, it may cost more, but you'll know you are getting an exact replacement, not a "almost perfect" replacement…

Good Luck

I'm guessing that the "FR, FL, and the BL" are referring to Front Right, Front Left, and Back Left, so yes it probably refers to the CW and CCW Motor Rotation, but it also means that the Wiring Length and connections are probably different. Otherwise the FR and BL would have the same part number.

Both the FR and BL motors are CCW rotating, which use the "Marked" propellers, while the FL and BR motors are CW rotating motors without marks on the propellers…

View attachment 149968

You should have no problem finding a replacement motor on eBay (Crashed Unit) or one of the many "Drone Rehab Houses." I do not know if you can get a motor directly from DJI, but it's worth a try, it may cost more, but you'll know you are getting an exact replacement, not a "almost perfect" replacement…

Good Luck
Thanks for that! I just went ahead and ordered a FL arm with motor off amazon for $59, a bit pricey but as you said rather an exact replacement. I’ll be following this video here. I’ll film my work as well. Thx everyone for your help.

I’ll be following this video here
Good Luck to you, Last two pieces of advice is to look at some YouTube Videos. You'll get to learn from other's mistakes, you'll get to see where all the little snaps and hidden screws might be…

Besides filming your work, snap lots of photos as you take it apart so you will see how parts are positioned and how and where the wires run. Some connectors can be installed right and wrong, you just have to know which side the "little dot faces…"

Drone arm.png

Reactions: cheddar-man
Good advice there from LoudThunder! Also, you'll need a bit of soldering skill.
Before you put all the covers back on, just fire it up and make sure you have the correct rotation!!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Also, you'll need a bit of soldering skill.

Cheddar-Man brings up a good point, you will need "Good Soldering skills", If you have never done this before, watch several YouTube Videos. Soldering electronics is different from general purpose soldering. You must be exceedlingly accurate with the soldering iron, you do not want to create a "solder bridge," you need to use a soldering iron that is not too hot, but one made for electronics, otherwise you can over heat components and even unsolder adjacent components. Not to mention, the need for lead-free rosin core solder. If you've ever soldered copper water pipes, forget everything you've learned, that knowledge will turn your Drone into a pile of smoking plastic…

If I've not scared you off and you still want to give it a go. Stop by a thrift shop and buy some cheap piece of electronics: a clock, old DVD player, car radio, and practice unsoldering some parts and re-soldering them back in place… a Good Video to watch…

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
Finally got around to repair today, here is the video I followed and some pics I took. I gotta say it was actually quite straightforward and not very complex especially compared to the original Mavic mini. My soldering skills are amateur at best so be kind :) I also used some hot glue to secure the wires in position and reduce vibration before putting it back together as DJI did. The only annoying step was the arm hinge which is a bit tricky to get back into position. Did a test flight where I let it hover for a few minutes before putting the covers back in place. Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• 3D97F35E-3268-46DE-8A4C-15521C15497D.jpeg
    3D97F35E-3268-46DE-8A4C-15521C15497D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 3FD60BDA-254C-487C-85B3-1E7E3FFC46FD.jpeg
    3FD60BDA-254C-487C-85B3-1E7E3FFC46FD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • C34740FD-078E-4646-86BD-875B84E7B6D5.jpeg
    C34740FD-078E-4646-86BD-875B84E7B6D5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 681EEA09-4804-41B8-B5D6-1B263E3CA0A6.jpeg
    681EEA09-4804-41B8-B5D6-1B263E3CA0A6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • E43C538D-E96B-426B-B941-BF09B9069E04.jpeg
    E43C538D-E96B-426B-B941-BF09B9069E04.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • ECFFBC4D-6EA1-4B6F-9D39-507252216873.jpeg
    ECFFBC4D-6EA1-4B6F-9D39-507252216873.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 9F6D4260-8718-4EBA-9DFA-D448E6B7D5D1.jpeg
    9F6D4260-8718-4EBA-9DFA-D448E6B7D5D1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: GrayHornet
Congratulations and What Cheddar-Man said... Now, do not get cocky, the next repair may not be so straightforward...

Some pics I took today from Brooklyn’s Verrazano bridge and Manhattan. Altitude 398ft. Enhanced in Adobe Lightroom.
0323FFBD-5BC3-4C96-83BB-AEFBD2778789.jpeg6BD7B038-EAA7-486F-AFF3-F400CA181A03.jpeg

Reactions: GrayHornet
Some pics I took today
Those are fantastic shots, now you need to really stretch your flying, you need to start photosphereing…

Here is the link that I wrote on shooting, editing, and publishing your photospheres in Google Maps and on Google Earth… This is third in the series, but it contains links to all earlier posts.

Fly Safe…

Last edited:
Thanks LT. Started to go through your wonderfully detailed description on how to create a Photosphere and then thought, why am I flogging through this, what is the end result? Perhaps you could show me exactly what can be achieved with this technique so that I can see whether it's something I want to get into.
Cheers

Those are fantastic shots, now you need to really stretch your flying, you need to start photosphereing…

Here is the link that I wrote on shooting, editing, and publishing your photospheres in Google Maps and on Google Earth… This is third in the series, but it contains links all earlier posts.

Fly Safe…
Wow, that is really cool. I’ll try that next time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka