DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor replacement?

ChattaroyJack

Reactions
My son said he “ran into a box”. Now when rotated manually my left rear motor has a grinding feel to it. It will still fly but am getting a propeller overreving message and to land immediately. Propellers look fine, if I replace them I will still have the initial grinding. Can I buy a motor replacement or should I use the replacement plan I purchased and send it away?

The whole arm gets replaced which requires a bit of soldering - might be worth sending it in if you are not inclined. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago - didn't take too long. (And of course voided warranties, etc)

Take the props of the offending motor then put the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner over the motor and gently turn the motor, your son can help. There is just a chance there is some dirt or similar in there and its catching and giving the grinding feeling. The vacuum might suck it out.
I'd also try running a sliver of paper around the motor between the outer edge of the stator poles and the bore of the rotor.
Is a specific over reving motor indicated?
When you say the blades look fine, are you talking about the absence of dents, scrapes and cracks or their pitch and shape or both?

I speculate: bent motor spindle. Get replacement arm/motor assembly, should be a quite easy (and soldering) job.

Reactions: TreeHugger
I speculate: bent motor spindle. Get replacement arm/motor assembly, should be a quite easy (and soldering) job.

I agree with replacement - but do recall, the OP is considering sending it in - now is not necessarily the time to learn about soldering.
Try Post 3 first just for kicks. Soldering isn't bad if you are experienced.
See attached - the 6 wires in the red box are fairly easy once you have it apart.

6wires.jpg

The whole arm gets replaced which requires a bit of soldering - might be worth sending it in if you are not inclined. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago - didn't take too long. (And of course voided warranties, etc)
Not sure about the voided warranty concern. To deny warranty assistance for an unrelated hardware failure it would need to be demonstrated your actions contributed to the issue.

This is an easy task for anyone with basic mechanical aptitude and soldering skills.

Can see a potential issue with the care refresh route however for anyone sending in a busted drone with an obvious failed attempt at self repair.

I choose to try the solution put forward in post 3 as it was the easiest. Vacuum and aerosol air can and I am back in business. New blades all around and no worse for wear. I appreciate all responses, and am capable of the repair shown in the video supplied. I wonder though if I removed the arm and was unable to complete a more complicated fix, would it still be covered under the care refresh? Thanks again for taking time to help out.

Reactions: MaxE1955! and ff22
My son said he “ran into a box”. Now when rotated manually my left rear motor has a grinding feel to it. It will still fly but am getting a propeller overreving message and to land immediately. Propellers look fine, if I replace them I will still have the initial grinding. Can I buy a motor replacement or should I use the replacement plan I purchased and send it away?
Send it in without hesitation if you have a replacement plan. No reason not to, maybe a chance to upgrade to a 2 or 3

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929