DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor Stop and Crash in Auto Takeoff Mode

DEAN CULLY

Reactions
A few days ago I installed the most recent firmware update and now have aircraft version 01.03.0000 and app version 3.1.1. The following incident occurred earlier today during my first attempt to fly since the update. I have made several flights in the past 30 days without incident. However, this was the first time I have utilized the auto takeoff mode. The battery was fully charged and indicating more than 16 degrees C. I had 14 satellites, in full ready-to-fly mode. I was holding the controller without touching any controls, however that shouldn't matter. Several times while using return-to-home mode, I've taken control and landed it myself.

I engaged auto takeoff (on an iPad 7+ touch screen) outdoors and well clear of obstacles, and the Mavic rose approximately 4 feet, as expected. It immediately began traveling forward about 4 feet, then abruptly pitched up slightly (or maybe not so slightly, going by memory after the shock of what I saw) whereupon all four motors simultaneously lost all power, as if they were just switched off at precisely the same time. It fell to the pavement in the upright attitude (on its feet), bouncing slightly and probably hitting slightly tail-low; it all happened fast and unexpectedly, time from liftoff to crash being less than 10 seconds, likely more like 5 seconds. The Mavic's system power remained on until I shut it down for a restart and testing.

The camera-gimbal assembly suffered a major shock and is inoperative, except for video feed. Shutting down and restarting had no effect on the gimbal. The picture is tilted about 30 degrees and the wire bundle from the body to the gimbal assembly appears to have been overstressed (stretched). I am unable to tilt up or down with the remote controller. After the crash and restart I hovered the Mavic after all preflight indications on the remote controller display were okay (except for the gimbal error message saying that the motor was overstressed and to check that the gimbal clamp is removed). I am not confident that the aircraft is 100% normal, however, based on observation during the very short test hover flight. I want it properly checked before further flight.

I'll be sending it in for repair by DJI (and I have the extended service/replacement package) and am hoping the repair or replacement will be timely and at no cost to me. I firmly believe this was an electronic malfunction unrelated to operator or any external conditions. Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions on how to deal with DJI before I go ahead with the repair return process?

I have not done this myself , but I have read that it is adviseable to open a chat session with one of thier representatives and let them "guide you" through the return/repair process. I have also learned that the repair time can be quite quick in comparison to the time it took waiting for the new Mavic Pro's to arrive after pre-order.

Also Write Down / photograph all distinguishing markings of your current Mavic (ie. serial numbers inside of battery box opening, etc) This will allow you to discern if DJI repaired your existing Mavic or sent you a replacement that is either

A. New from manufacturing
B. Refurbished

The thing that I have also learned that is not so favorable is there is the rare occasion where the returned and certified repaired Mavic Pro actually has issues that are equal to or worse than the issue it was originally sent in for. Lets hope you are not one of those cases.

Dean I also experienced a similar episode yesterday. All firmware is the latest version and using Go app 4. Had a couple of flights with no problems. Thought I would try auto take off function, it took off and lifted off to about 4 feet. I was just about to touch the sticks when the motors stopped and it fell. Luckily, no damaged occurred to aircraft or gimbal. Restarted and subsequent flights fine, video footage confirms no damage to camera or gimbal. Tried another automatic takeoff and all good. Very worrying, we will have to wait to see DJI reaction. I will be informing them of the incident. They should repair yours free when they see the flight log record. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I had the exact same problem. My third take off and the motors just decided to stop causing it to go face first into the gutter/kurb. I don't think I'm going to do auto take off ever again. I think my drone is ok but bottom of camera is deeply scratched and so is underside of drone. Not to happy as I only got the drone today.

I hope DJI sorts it out fast as I would hate it to happen to new drone flyers. As they would use this feature as they are trusting the drone until they get the hang of it then it does that kind of thing and makes it hard to trust it. Also I am not able to get DJI care in my country so if it has other stupid problems like that I will be the one having to pay to fix it when its not my fault.

Dean I also experienced a similar episode yesterday. All firmware is the latest version and using Go app 4. Had a couple of flights with no problems. Thought I would try auto take off function, it took off and lifted off to about 4 feet. I was just about to touch the sticks when the motors stopped and it fell. Luckily, no damaged occurred to aircraft or gimbal. Restarted and subsequent flights fine, video footage confirms no damage to camera or gimbal. Tried another automatic takeoff and all good. Very worrying, we will have to wait to see DJI reaction. I will be informing them of the incident. They should repair yours free when they see the flight log record. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
That sounds familiar, except for the gimbal damage. Did you notice if the drone tipped up at the moment just before the motors cut-out? In hindsight, I can't be sure if it tipped up an instant before cut-out or as the immediate result of the power loss, but I seem to remember it as the former.

Hmmm...I havent tried auto take off yet and after reading this I am afraid too...I always push both sticks down and towards the center to start the motors then take off.

Reactions: Roddy and burtg
I hope DJI sorts it out fast as I would hate it to happen to new drone flyers. As they would use this feature as they are trusting the drone until they get the hang of it then it does that kind of thing and makes it hard to trust it. Also I am not able to get DJI care in my country so if it has other stupid problems like that I will be the one having to pay to fix it when its not my fault.
It's frightening to realize through a witnessed event that it's possible (despite it not being a GoPro Karma) that a programming bug can cause something this bad. Who knows what combination of inputs could cause the same thing to happen, but from a high altitude and beyond reach, or worse, falling on someone?

(yes, of course we don't fly above unknowing persons, but the possibility remains, even when taking precautions and attempting to operate lawfully in good faith)

From now on, I shall be conducting close-in and low testing after any firmware upgrade; and if possible, delaying upgrade until others have had time to evaluate/test.

Reactions: Andrew F
Hmmm...I havent tried auto take off yet and after reading this I am afraid too...I always push both sticks down and towards the center to start the motors then take off.
I would not fly it at all with this new firmware, unless you want to test it in a safe (-ish) manner and report your findings.

It's frightening to realize through a witnessed event that it's possible (despite it not being a GoPro Karma) that a programming bug can cause something this bad. Who knows what combination of inputs could cause the same thing to happen, but from a high altitude and beyond reach, or worse, falling on someone?

(yes, of course we don't fly above unknowing persons, but the possibility remains, even when taking precautions and attempting to operate lawfully in good faith)

From now on, I shall be conducting close-in and low testing after any firmware upgrade; and if possible, delaying upgrade until others have had time to evaluate/test.
Delaying firmware upgrades is a good bet unless a problem that had been vexing you is reportedly fixed.

I would not fly it at all with this new firmware, unless you want to test it in a safe (-ish) manner and report your findings.
I'm continuing to use 3. Very happy with it. I've had multiple problems with 4.

I have not done this myself , but I have read that it is adviseable to open a chat session with one of thier representatives and let them "guide you" through the return/repair process. I have also learned that the repair time can be quite quick in comparison to the time it took waiting for the new Mavic Pro's to arrive after pre-order.

Also Write Down / photograph all distinguishing markings of your current Mavic (ie. serial numbers inside of battery box opening, etc) This will allow you to discern if DJI repaired your existing Mavic or sent you a replacement that is either

A. New from manufacturing
B. Refurbished

The thing that I have also learned that is not so favorable is there is the rare occasion where the returned and certified repaired Mavic Pro actually has issues that are equal to or worse than the issue it was originally sent in for. Lets hope you are not one of those cases.
Thanks. I've submitted the online form. Frustratingly (at least when using Safari browser; maybe I should have tried Chrome or Firefox) the word fields for describing the problem, etc. limit one to a tweet-like level of communication. Awaiting UPS shipping label and will call the telephone number (given on the online reply) for the Carson, California repair facility before shipping tomorrow (if they're open on xmas eve; I got the form done just after closing time today).

I'm continuing to use 3. Very happy with it. I've had multiple problems with 4.
The current firmware is 1.03.000, if you are referring to DJI Go 3.x or DJI Go 4.x, that is not firmware, they are apps and not even actually required to fly the mavic.

Thank you. Those were the only numbers I could find when opening my app. I downloaded the latest firmware earlier this week, but can't remember what number it was and can't find a reference for it in the app. Is there a way to view which firmware version is installed, i.e., a way to verify that fact?

Thank you. Those were the only numbers I could find when opening my app. I downloaded the latest firmware earlier this week, but can't remember what number it was and can't find a reference for it in the app. Is there a way to view which firmware version is installed, i.e., a way to verify that fact?
Yes look under General Settings>About

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll