DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motors not firing...

Petro206

Reactions
Hey peeps,
Recently I tried to get that epic under the bridge in winter footage. You can guess what happened. This is the second time I've dunked my Mavic. The first time was in the dead of winter in a freezing cold river in the middle of the woods. Luckily, my truck was nearby (and a change of clothes). My Mavic spent about 20 minutes in the drink, but after a week of Silica packets, that beast was up in the air again.
That was two years ago. You'd think I would have learned from that freezing river, but hey, no risk no reward right? This time the pond was a bit too cold and a bit too deep, so I had to leave it overnight till I could come back with the right gear to fish it out. Once home, I went through the same process as before. Opening it up as far as possible, applying alcohol to dry, and putting everything in a container with silica gel. After several days, I put her back together and had some issues connecting the remote to the drone, so I updated all the firmware and she fired right up. Everything was green and ready to fly. I engage the motors, and the front two fire up, but the back two won't move. They twitch when I fire up the drone during diagnostics, but are dead when I engage the motors. I get the an error message "Takeoff Error, check motor and props".

So I figured the motors were damaged and bought a couple replacements. Soldered the first of the two on, and it's the same thing, so I'm reluctant to replace the other one and tempted to send it back or keep it for future replacements. Everything else is in the green and ready to rock and roll.

I read a feed on this from 2018, of a similar issue, but didn't see any resolution. This is my first post, not new to drones, but since DJI is worthless for older DJI's, I decided to give this a whirl.

Go ahead, take some shots at my decision to attempt that shot again...I can handle it. haha.

I'm totally down with buying a new one, but if I could salvage this platinum beauty that has been with me forever, I'd love to.

Thanks all!

welcome to the forum ,yep i love my MPP as well, sounds like its trying to tell you its time to retire me and move on ,it just didn't like being left alone in that freezing river overnight
the main problem is, even if you could get it flying again ,would it ever be reliable after two such events

Reactions: Thomas B
Hmmm. I dunno, but I’m thinking repairable. I wouldn’t even call a new drone ‘reliable’ in the sense of an aircraft, so I’d be interested investigating more. Have you pulled all the boards and checked the multi plugs? Sprayed with circuit board cleaner? That’s one source of issues. Of course, an IC could be fried, not repairable, but you could replace a whole board if you can identify which one. The fact the props twitch means they are at least connected...
In some respects sick of society saying, “It’s a risk, chuck it out”. I run a 1970’s Land Rover, fully serviced by me, and even when 100% as new, it’s more risk to all than a drone falling out of the sky!
Edit: and once it’s 45 years old... like me, more risk than my bonked and clonked and dunked Mavic Pro! So saying, I’m not advocating flying over a kindergarten once you fix it up! But it sounds doable and surely someone here has some at least general circuit/board layout diagrams?

Last edited:
Hey peeps,
Recently I tried to get that epic under the bridge in winter footage. You can guess what happened. This is the second time I've dunked my Mavic. The first time was in the dead of winter in a freezing cold river in the middle of the woods. Luckily, my truck was nearby (and a change of clothes). My Mavic spent about 20 minutes in the drink, but after a week of Silica packets, that beast was up in the air again.
That was two years ago. You'd think I would have learned from that freezing river, but hey, no risk no reward right? This time the pond was a bit too cold and a bit too deep, so I had to leave it overnight till I could come back with the right gear to fish it out. Once home, I went through the same process as before. Opening it up as far as possible, applying alcohol to dry, and putting everything in a container with silica gel. After several days, I put her back together and had some issues connecting the remote to the drone, so I updated all the firmware and she fired right up. Everything was green and ready to fly. I engage the motors, and the front two fire up, but the back two won't move. They twitch when I fire up the drone during diagnostics, but are dead when I engage the motors. I get the an error message "Takeoff Error, check motor and props".

So I figured the motors were damaged and bought a couple replacements. Soldered the first of the two on, and it's the same thing, so I'm reluctant to replace the other one and tempted to send it back or keep it for future replacements. Everything else is in the green and ready to rock and roll.

I read a feed on this from 2018, of a similar issue, but didn't see any resolution. This is my first post, not new to drones, but since DJI is worthless for older DJI's, I decided to give this a whirl.

Go ahead, take some shots at my decision to attempt that shot again...I can handle it. haha.

I'm totally down with buying a new one, but if I could salvage this platinum beauty that has been with me forever, I'd love to.

Thanks all!
Hi! I am repairing a MPP and I am having the same issue. Back motors will not fire up, they do work and twitch when I start the drone, but will not start when I bring the controller sticks to the middle.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'd love to hear back from you!

Thanks a lot!

E.

Hmmm. I dunno, but I’m thinking repairable. I wouldn’t even call a new drone ‘reliable’ in the sense of an aircraft, so I’d be interested investigating more. Have you pulled all the boards and checked the multi plugs? Sprayed with circuit board cleaner? That’s one source of issues. Of course, an IC could be fried, not repairable, but you could replace a whole board if you can identify which one. The fact the props twitch means they are at least connected...
In some respects sick of society saying, “It’s a risk, chuck it out”. I run a 1970’s Land Rover, fully serviced by me, and even when 100% as new, it’s more risk to all than a drone falling out of the sky!
Edit: and once it’s 45 years old... like me, more risk than my bonked and clonked and dunked Mavic Pro! So saying, I’m not advocating flying over a kindergarten once you fix it up! But it sounds doable and surely someone here has some at least general circuit/board layout diagrams?
I have thousands of flights on a few of my quads there pretty **** reliable!!!

I will like to know about a solution to this as I have a similar issue as well. When I fire up my MPP sometimes it just says motor error check props. I have another post about this and yet to find out what's the issue. My plans are to pull the logs from the quad and have one of the experts here read it and see if we can come up with something.

I managed to repair mine by switching out the ESC for a regular Mavic Pro ESC. The drone flies now, but I still need to repair the SD card slot, which the previous owner destroyed by leaving "half" of a micro SD in there.

I managed to repair mine by switching out the ESC for a regular Mavic Pro ESC. The drone flies now, but I still need to repair the SD card slot, which the previous owner destroyed by leaving "half" of a micro SD in there.
I wonder if you are on to something. Maybe my ESC board may be the problem?

Guys i noticed that the left back motor lagged abit when i fired up my MPP tonight. However no errors (check Props). I really havent found a solution to this problem. Will i see anything in the logs that can assist with this issue?

I'm wondering why you dunked twice flying under a bridge? Was it pilot error or did the drone mess up.??

If you read the OP's first post you easily see that he's not referring to you ... always better to create your own thread in order to avoid thread-hijacking & confusion.
Thank you. I think I will do that

Reactions: slup
Well I guess because its a kinda old thread the OP is gone and I'll never find out what happened .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11