DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Mount Saint Helens

Babrucker

Reactions
FFCCF70D-DAAD-42B2-8122-05372063FD60.jpeg6BBDB6A2-D909-4CFB-AD65-6E8860E84727.jpegA9B720F5-A568-4841-8E61-A1214A69EDD1.jpeg
Got some great shots of Mt. St. Helens and found this out after the fact...
I thought I thoroughly researched the restrictions before flying but there’s always something hidden somewhere on a website...

Last edited:
Great photos@

Reactions: Babrucker
Mark, thank you very much for the incredible photos and more for the info on Wilderness areas. I knew that NP were NFZ and I new the National Forests were mostly legal to fly in but I did not know about Wilderness areas. Great Link and Thank you again.

View attachment 128523View attachment 128524View attachment 128525
I thought I thoroughly researched the restrictions before flying but there’s always something hidden somewhere on a website...
If "within" their land / airspace - I'd think you would have gotten some warnings from DJI / drone.

I have flown outside of NP's and not gotten any warnings - even though many maps like om KittyHawk and others seem to cover that specific area. I have also flown near some NP's and got very distinct warnings when "entering" that airspace - specifically at St. Louis Arch. Where I took off across the street along the Mississippi River - no problem at all. As soon as I got up in air and went across the street - "Betty" started screaming I was entering restricted airspace. As I was flying my Mini at the time and winds were whipping above 50 ft - I brought it home and went on my way. Would loved to have gotten some nice out of park aerials of the Gateway Arch, but maybe next time I'm in St. Louis with my Air2.

Mark, thank you very much for the incredible photos and more for the info on Wilderness areas. I knew that NP were NFZ and I new the National Forests were mostly legal to fly in but I did not know about Wilderness areas. Great Link and Thank you again.
Many "wilderness" designated areas all around. For me to fly in my local "wilderness" areas, i'd be flying a good 150-200 ft minimum due to vast ree cover - yet we do tend to have A LOT of raptors in our area and they don't seem to like drones.

It’s Ben, and thanks!

If "within" their land / airspace - I'd think you would have gotten some warnings from DJI / drone.

I have flown outside of NP's and not gotten any warnings - even though many maps like om KittyHawk and others seem to cover that specific area. I have also flown near some NP's and got very distinct warnings when "entering" that airspace - specifically at St. Louis Arch. Where I took off across the street along the Mississippi River - no problem at all. As soon as I got up in air and went across the street - "Betty" started screaming I was entering restricted airspace. As I was flying my Mini at the time and winds were whipping above 50 ft - I brought it home and went on my way. Would loved to have gotten some nice out of park aerials of the Gateway Arch, but maybe next time I'm in St. Louis with my Air2.
I notified the admin at AIRMAP and wilderness.net since they work together to identify restricted wilderness areas on the AIRMAP app. Hopefully they will update the map to include the Mt. St. Helens area sometime soon. AIRMAP has a very good representation of the restricted wilderness area boundaries...

View attachment 128523View attachment 128524View attachment 128525
Curious, and seeing how wide-spread closure areas 1 & 2 are, where was your take-off location? I plan on going up there with visiting family in late June, early July. I'm in Gresham, OR and am pretty familiar with the territory.

Curious, and seeing how wide-spread closure areas 1 & 2 are, where was your take-off location? I plan on going up there with visiting family in late June, early July. I'm in Gresham, OR and am pretty familiar with the territory.
Off of the boundary trail

Stay outside of the National Monument boundaries. You can fly anywhere in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest but not over monument land.

From the FAA sector maps - you can't fly inside of the blue lines with the blue dots inside:

1684020653574.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580