DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain Biking Question

Highland Flyer

Reactions
Hi Folks, just wondering if any of you guy's take your drone out mountain biking and if so how do you mount the controller/phone onto your handlebars. I'm looking for a solution, it has to withstand severe vibration.

Cheers and take care.

Reactions: RTKD
I came on to ask a similar question. I tried to get active track to fly In font of me down a trail . It worked fine if the controller and phone were in sight of the drone but if I disconnected the phone or put the controller in a back pack it stopped following me .
does the controller have to be connected to the phone all the time when in active track ? Does the controller and phone have to be in view ? Can you put them in a back pack ?

Reactions: RTKD
I think we've got a product here boys. How about a chest mounted unit, something that wouldn't get in the way of a backpack or the handlebars. A shoulder holster basically, with a flip-down front flap with adjustable straps that secure the controller to your chest.

There's been a few people who have posted their solutions for mounting the controller to handlebars:

It's something I'd love to try but I'd be too worried about damaging the controller since there can be significant impacts and it would need to be connected to a phone/tablet as well to use activetrack I think?

There's been a few people who have posted their solutions for mounting the controller to handlebars:

It's something I'd love to try but I'd be too worried about damaging the controller since there can be significant impacts and it would need to be connected to a phone/tablet as well to use activetrack I think?

They must do a different kind of mountain biking than I do...

Hi Folks, just wondering if any of you guy's take your drone out mountain biking and if so how do you mount the controller/phone onto your handlebars. I'm looking for a solution, it has to withstand severe vibration.

Cheers and take care.
If you are flying the Mavic Air, Smart Capture may (or may not) do what you want; it is worth looking into anyway. The main advantage of this mode is you don't need to carry your phone or remote controller at all and you won't have to worry about low battery RTH.

I usually ride in a heavily wooded area so it wouldn't be pretty what would likely happen to the drone. Also the controller would take a beating on the handlebars. I love mountain biking and I love flying the drone, but for me the two will never meet.

They must do a different kind of mountain biking than I do...

Do you mean a lot gentler than you do? I was just suggesting it as a starting point although I wouldn't mount the controller on either the mountain bike or the road bike, the latter doesn't have the same impacts but a lot more vibration.

Do you mean a lot gentler than you do? I was just suggesting it as a starting point although I wouldn't mount the controller on either the mountain bike or the road bike, the latter doesn't have the same impacts but a lot more vibration.

I'll carry my M2 in a backpack provided that the trail is not so technical that there is much chance of a completely uncontrolled dismount (aka crash), but I would not risk that equipment on the handlebars on anything technical at all.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I’ve looked at the handle bar mounts . I really wouldn’t be happy trusting one. A chest mounted strap would be perfect . I’ve seen chest straps for phones . Is there a way to set up the active track without taking the controller with you by just using the phone app?

I dont mountain bike but I do enduro. There is a reason why I dont have any drone footage of myself but plenty of my riding buddies! Drone view + bikes = awesome

Cheers and take care.
I am sense a major disaster waiting to happen. Every thought what would happen if you came off your bike? Chest mount would do someone some a serous damage and that includes the handle bar mounted option you have two sticks protruding out.. yikes

Like I said, Smart Capture is the most viable option for such scenarios.

Cheers for all the feedback, i have a GoPro chesty mount, it could be possible to get some kind of mount to clamp onto that, it would certainly cut out most of the vibration. I don't do extreme mountain biking ie black runs, mainly local hills and the odd bike centre.

Cheers for all the feedback, i have a GoPro chesty mount, it could be possible to get some kind of mount to clamp onto that, it would certainly cut out most of the vibration. I don't do extreme mountain biking ie black runs, mainly local hills and the odd bike centre.
You are probably better off. Get a helmet mount gor the camera and you should be good to go

I've been through the GoPro phase. Love aerials now. Selfie bike videos seem a poor alternative to following other riders. I use a neckstrap for my SC, and I'll use myself as a model in stills to show scale in a vast landscape. But for video, YOU are the Director. Filming mtb bike action you probably can't compose nearly as well capturing selfies as you can if you're following the action of other riders. And I can't imagine how you can rig a SC so you can view while riding. No way am I gonna mount mine on the bars.

Not always possible to recruit pals to star in videos. So I'd welcome a workable plan. But for now, I believe the best video results will be of other riders on epic descents, captured by an EXPERIENCED pilot, perhaps with a partner controlling the gimbal on a separate controller. I believe some of the Intelligent Modes allow you to follow a moving subject at any angle/orientation. I have no experience with that, but sounds perfect --in treeless areas.

A friend has documented epic 1000 mi solo rides with video/stills but not with drone. We're trying to devise a process for his next adventure -with a drone (maybe the Mavic Air II?) So a workable solution would be welcome, as he'll be mostly solo.

Judging by what you are saying you have planned l think and l suspect many might agree here is that its a two man operation. You will have to keep your eyes on the drone. In addition to the bike ride

Footage from go pro is not what I want . I want to see myself riding not see the trail ahead .
I very rarely ride with anyone else . I work shifts so most people are at work when I ride and riding when I’m at work. I bought the drone to film myself .
No one filming you would be able to follow you down a 5 min track keeping the drone camera on you anyway .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcircle