DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain terrain mission input

SGM

Reactions
Good evening everyone,

I am planning a mission in a mountainous area around Mt. Rainier, WA and would like some input from those of you who have more experience regarding this type of mission, whether advisable and feasible or not based on parameters; the information I wont have until I get there is obviously weather and winds/wind dir.

H.P. elev: 4797 MSL

Highest mountain elev 5174 with an AGL of 657 from HP to move safely past and giving the best distance for video = 5831 MSL.

The mountain lake at turn point is 4297 MSL giving me not only + altitudes but - calculations on alt as well from the HP.

Mt. Rainier is N N/E of the flt route, longest distance from HP is 1.76 mi at 3rd turn coming back to HP.

Obvious concerns are the altitude, wind speed and direction and distances with reception, if the MP goes down between any point, it will be as good as lost due to terrain even with a tracker.

Again, all input and advise is welcome. Thanks

I really don't understand all your odd nomenclature, but be cautious. When flying mountains, it is very easy to get behind intermediate ridges and lose LOS. You basically are flying your forward view, and don't realize what might be slipping in behind you. It's easy to get lost in the beauty of what you are seeing. Turn around and face takeoff point once in awhile to see that you still have LOS. Another great tool to visualise this is Google Earth Pro, using the viewshed tool.

Thanks for the input HFMan, good point to turn and look back to home point (HP) once in a while.
All of my missions are started with Google Earth Pro and moved to Litchi Hub. as far as the Viewshed tool, I havewnt used it but will definitely go back and access the mission route using the tool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123