DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mounting The Marco Polo Tracker

shire

Reactions
Mounting the Marco Polo Locator

I’ve been looking at trackers and watching too many YouTube reviews.

My conclusion was to get the Marco Polo for these reasons.

1. The bluetooth devices, while inexpensive, have a very limited range. Better than nothing.

2. Cellular trackers need a SIM card and a cellular contract. Another cell phone bill didn’t appeal to me. The main reason for not getting a cellular tracker is this: No cell service; no location. Seriously, the cell service at my house is either 1 bar or “No Service”. Without WIFI calling I’d have nothing.

Additionally, I can think of a number of times in remote areas that I had no cell service.

3. RF trackers (like the Marco Polo) have a 1-2 mile range, are extremely accurate and have no monthly fee. The tracker battery will broadcast for 3 days if fully charged (tracker mode). 15 days if not being tracked.

After spending a few days deciding where (and how) to mount the new Marco Polo (waterproof model) on the MP, this is what I came up with.

Freewill rear landing foot (I drilled two holes for the mounting plate), the Marco Polo mounting plate, two pieces of 0.300” long brass tubing, two 4-40X 0.625” stainless steel screws and two 4-40 nuts. Nuts were Loctited onto the screws.

The instructions suggest that the antenna be oriented vertically for greatest range. In the highly unlikely event of a crash, :) it seems that the odds are greater for the MP to be on its landing pads or on its back. (Unless its hanging sideways in a tree.)

There is sufficient prop clearance to the antenna. Not sure about the regular model of the Marco Polo, but the waterproof version has a stiff rubber sleeve over the antenna. It seemed quite difficult to move it into the prop circle.

Alternatively, I could rotate the Marco Polo 180º to orient the antenna down.

Very clean looking setup...well done.

Way too cold to fly. I will report when we get out of this cold wave.
I'm not expecting any balance issues as the whole package (including the Freewell rear landing piece) is 39gm.

Reactions: Inspirephil

1. The bluetooth devices, while inexpensive, have a very limited range. Better than nothing.

2. Cellular trackers need a SIM card and a cellular contract. Another cell phone bill didn’t appeal to me. The main reason for not getting a cellular tracker is this: No cell service; no location. Seriously, the cell service at my house is either 1 bar or “No Service”. Without WIFI calling I’d have nothing.

Additionally, I can think of a number of times in remote areas that I had no cell service.

3. RF trackers (like the Marco Polo) have a 1-2 mile range, are extremely accurate and have no monthly fee. The tracker battery will broadcast for 3 days if fully charged (tracker mode). 15 days if not being tracked.

After spending a few days deciding where (and how) to mount the new Marco Polo (waterproof model) on the MP, this is what I came up with.

Freewill rear landing foot (I drilled two holes for the mounting plate), the Marco Polo mounting plate, two pieces of 0.300” long brass tubing, two 4-40X 0.625” stainless steel screws and two 4-40 nuts. Nuts were Loctited onto the screws.

The instructions suggest that the antenna be oriented vertically for greatest range. In the highly unlikely event of a crash, :) it seems that the odds are greater for the MP to be on its landing pads or on its back. (Unless its hanging sideways in a tree.)

There is sufficient prop clearance to the antenna. Not sure about the regular model of the Marco Polo, but the waterproof version has a stiff rubber sleeve over the antenna. It seemed quite difficult to move it into the prop circle.

Great idea, thank you for the detailed instructions. Just a little tip... I had a hard time finding it on Amazon, because it's actually not Freewill but Freewell (Freewell landing gear: Amazon ref: B06XD6LBJW and it costs $14.99). Just ordered one, on top of the Marco Polo (waterproof) I ordered. I am assuming the black mounting plate is included in the Marco Polo package. Thanks again.

Reactions: labileaffect
Thanks much for you're summary it has saved me a lot of time.
Well put together, clear and concise.

Very nice and great instructions. I still have to repair my Mavic Pro after losing it for three weeks after a crash, but I just got my Marco Polo waterproof and I'm copying your elegant set up. Thank you very much!

Well done, secure and tidy mounting. Thanks to you and all for these comments, I'm going to seriously consider getting a Marco Polo. As my flight confidence increases so does my daring, it would likely be impossible to find the MP otherwise if it went down in one of the forested canyons I'm now flying.

I just got my Marco Polo last week. Thanks for the mounting idea shire! I bought the Ultralight system (not waterproof) so I used velcro to mount it to the landing gear. I spoke to the President of Eureka Products since I do water landings (pontoons), he told me I could either swap my ultralight for the waterproof transceiver or put a small amount of RTV Sealant over the hole where the light flashes as this is the only spot splashes of water or rain could enter the unit so I opted to do that. Of course if it goes under water it's toast. He also mentioned it could be waterproofed by putting the transceiver tag in a small pill bag from the pharmacy, just poke a small hole in it for the antenna and seal with RTV. 009.JPG 010.JPG

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 59
Looks good... noticing that your rear landing gear is the same style as the original poster 'shire'.
What brand is this accessory and where can I find it?

I do not, still have to convince the boss that I may not be as good a pilot as I've led her to believe.
Seriously though, as soon as I can scrape together the change I think this is the best solution to losing the bird out in the wilderness.

SXViper03: Question for you about water landings with your pontoons?
I have pontoons, but have reservations about launching and taking off from rivers and lakes. Feedback would be appreciated. I have been using mine in case of emergency
landing. Thank You.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair