DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOVERIO BT-300 - screen tilted to the right, 2nd pair !

Greybird

Reactions
Got the first pair through Amazon and paid $50 USD more than B&H Photo (NY) to get them sooner.

Right away I noticed that the projected "screen" was tilted to the right about 10-15^ compared to the frames. It was annoying to have to tilt my head left to accommodate... and our natural proclivity is to put our heads back to straight position, so constant pain in butt...

Got tech support, took an hour to get an RMA issued and a new pair ordered. Got the new pair within just a few days, but same problem.

This time I tested them a bit further and when head tilted to the left (was trying to see if I could "live" with the problem), ambient light comes under the right lens and overpowers the screen brightness. Tried the sunglasses, but they only cover the lenses exactly so the light coming in from below is not blocked.

I could probably fashion a work-around and glue some larger sunglass lenses on the factory pair, but ... the tilt is still the main issue and that's not going to get fixed with glue.

Anyone else seeing this tilted screen ? I know I'm not nuts... my wife sees it too.

I sent Epson techs a problem report today. I really want to love these glasses to fly with (Mavic Pro), but it's really annoying... for $700 !!! I can buy another Mavic Pro for that !

Got the first pair through Amazon and paid $50 USD more than B&H Photo (NY) to get them sooner.

Right away I noticed that the projected "screen" was tilted to the right about 10-15^ compared to the frames. It was annoying to have to tilt my head left to accommodate... and our natural proclivity is to put our heads back to straight position, so constant pain in butt...

Got tech support, took an hour to get an RMA issued and a new pair ordered. Got the new pair within just a few days, but same problem.

This time I tested them a bit further and when head tilted to the left (was trying to see if I could "live" with the problem), ambient light comes under the right lens and overpowers the screen brightness. Tried the sunglasses, but they only cover the lenses exactly so the light coming in from below is not blocked.

I could probably fashion a work-around and glue some larger sunglass lenses on the factory pair, but ... the tilt is still the main issue and that's not going to get fixed with glue.

Anyone else seeing this tilted screen ? I know I'm not nuts... my wife sees it too.

I sent Epson techs a problem report today. I really want to love these glasses to fly with (Mavic Pro), but it's really annoying... for $700 !!! I can buy another Mavic Pro for that !
That's very odd. They are a fixed assembly so I don't see how it could be a defect. Is the nose bridge a possible issue for you? I know mine tilt a bit on my head at times.

Reactions: mavic53
You are not the only one who has had problems! When I first received my BT-300 glasses, I saw double images that were tilted and out of focus on the edges. The problem is that human heads are not symmetric. My nose was broken and is crooked, and the distance between my pupils of my eyes is less than the distance between the images projected by the glasses. I went to my optometrist and got a prescription for eyeglasses that included the distance from the center of my nose to the left and right pupils. Then I ordered special inserts for the Moverio glasses from Rochester Optical (Wearable Solutions - Shop Our Smart Lens Inserts & Virtual Reality Devices | Rochester Optical). These inserts correct for my far sighted and astigmatism as well as inter pupillary distance. More importantly they position the glasses at the right distance from your eyes and are more stable than the wire frame nose pieces provided by Epson. When the Moverio glasses first turn on, I still see double images. But when the camera view comes on, my brain automatically interprets the view as a single image. I can see everything clearly, although I sometimes make minor adjustments to see the edges clearly.

Spending $199 for the Rochester Optical inserts made a big difference for me. But it may be a lot of money if they don’t work for you.

Reactions: Greybird
I'll have to experiment with the nose piece. Playing with it I noticed as I held the glasses and tilted my head there was a slight adjustment in the levels matching (glasses and image). I'll bend things around and report back.

The focus is not an issue, luckily, for me, thanks for the insight radman !

Do the Rochester glasses need an eye test to get them?

I'll have to experiment with the nose piece. Playing with it I noticed as I held the glasses and tilted my head there was a slight adjustment in the levels matching (glasses and image). I'll bend things around and report back.

The focus is not an issue, luckily, for me, thanks for the insight radman !
Make sure you remove the nose piece to make adjustments. The plastic piece that retains it is very fragile!

If in the end the Moverio do not work out for you, I highly recommend the DJI goggles. A good quality 'used' set will cost about $250 ($200 if your patient), they work very will with the MP1 (can't attest to other models), and the immersive experience can't be beat.

It is true that you cannot keep the drone in the line of sight, but using the Moverio the same will be true once you get out about 1000 feet, so...

Drone On - I have the DJI goggles, got them first and didn't want to have to have a "spotter" just to comply with laws (have to maintain visual connection with the craft). Of course it's impossible to do that when the range with some drones is so wonderfully incredible. I haven't found a need to do any long distance flying, actually like knowing where the thing is, but I know that people do fly out of visual reference yet maintain control of the vehicle. I simply wanted to try the Moverios in hopes that I would be able to take it all alone someplace without concerns...

Radman & Chuck1026 - I've played with the nose piece, adjusted one side so that the glasses tilt left and give me a view that is parallel to Earth (from my visual perspective). However... what this does is make the right lens higher, thus allowing light in underneath the (right) lens and wreaking havoc with the "visual screen" experience. The right lower corner gets wiped out and makes my brain crazy.

EPSON - Clearly (sorry, bad joke), the company/team needs to re-think the ambient light issues in creating such tiny eye-wear. If there were some form of blockage or shading around the lenses that would minimize the ambient-to-focal-point ratio (not sunglasses that ONLY cover the lenses), by giving it the old Elton John look with large glasses surrounding the small "screen" lenses, they will be getting on to something. But as it is, I don't know how they can think this is a one-size-fits-all solution. It may work on young eyes, but, yes, sadly, I'm not 25 anymore (add 30), and so I can see beyond problems and into solutions. Put a full-on shade around the works and understand that if we can see through the lenses to focus on our drones, all that ambient "glare" (and I'm a lighting professional) is a terrible and unnecessary distraction. Get some older-folks on the demo team people !!! There are LOTS of 55 yr olds who will shell out $700 USD for some cool toys, but not as many of the youngers can do that on a whim... so I suggest you accommodate some physical realities in this process. We all know it's early on in this effort, and I can't wait to "see" what's next !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent