DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moverio BT300 compass calibration

Steady Eddie

Reactions
This one seems to be a lost cause, I know.
The compass calibration app from Epson on the Moverio app store has never worked for me or anyone else AFAIK.

As it is the BT300 compass is wildly inaccurate and unpredictable.

Anyone have any further info?

This one seems to be a lost cause, I know.
The compass calibration app from Epson on the Moverio app store has never worked for me or anyone else AFAIK.

As it is the BT300 compass is wildly inaccurate and unpredictable.

Anyone have any further info?

1597058776715.png

Iannes, have you personally been able to calibrate the compass successfully?
That S-08 note looks like it's from an Epson FAQ, and it's pure BS as far as I'm concerned.
No matter where I try, outdoors, indoors or wherever, the compass will not calibrate correctly.
I assume you are using DJI GO4 on your BT300's. If so what does the radar screen in the bottom right show?
Does the small n on the outer circle of the radar agree with true north?
If you move (rotate) yourself so that the small n and the white dot co-incide, are you (wearing the headset of course) facing north?
Mine never indicates north correctly. It's never better than 45deg from true, and usually way further off than that.

Try sideloading the Melonsoft compass by downloading it via the bt-300 browser

It lets you calibrate the device and you can check your sensor readings in the settings and identify a good location with the lowest magnetic fields

Try sideloading the Melonsoft compass by downloading it via the bt-300 browser

It lets you calibrate the device and you can check your sensor readings in the settings and identify a good location with the lowest magnetic fields
Has it worked for you Iannes?

Has it worked for you Iannes?

I've been able to ascertain by looking at the settings that the compass is working well, the app also allows you to understand how much magnetic interference is around your location

I couldn't get the Epson Sensor calibration working as it always crashes when you go to calibrate, not sure if it's related to the location indoors

I've been able to ascertain by looking at the settings that the compass is working well, the app also allows you to understand how much magnetic interference is around your location

I couldn't get the Epson Sensor calibration working as it always crashes when you go to calibrate, not sure if it's related to the location indoors
I installed the Compass app from APKpure, and as you say it proves that the headset compass is working properly and accurately.
However the radar screen compass in the bottom right of the GO4 screen remains haywire, and that is the issue.
It's the way the Moverio version of GO4 and the headset compass "talk" to each other that is all messed up, as is the Moverio compass calibration app.

I installed the Compass app from APKpure, and as you say it proves that the headset compass is working properly and accurately.
However the radar screen compass in the bottom right of the GO4 screen remains haywire, and that is the issue.
It's the way the Moverio version of GO4 and the headset compass "talk" to each other that is all messed up, as is the Moverio compass calibration app.

What version of DJI Go4 are you running on the BT-300's, I've got 4.3.36 installed.
This is the latest version from the Moverio App market

Last edited:
Just to add to this thread FWIW:-

The radar compass in the iOS version of DJI GO4 is 100% correct. It works smoothly and accurately on my iPad mini4.

The radar compass in the CrystalSky version of DJI GO4 is about as unreliable as the Moverio BT300. Both these Android devices have the latest applicable versions of GO4.

It's also obvious that the Android devices have nowhere near the speed and processing power of the iPad mini4.

I own and use all three devices BTW, so I feel I can make a fair comparison.

The downfall of the iPad is it's poor screen visibility in bright sun, but far better in performance.

The strange thing is the melonsoft compass works perfectly, so it must be an issue with android DJI Go 4 as opposed to the IOS version which works well on the Ipad Mini 4

The strange thing is the melonsoft compass works perfectly, so it must be an issue with android DJI Go 4 as opposed to the IOS version which works well on the Ipad Mini 4
Yes, strange. Although the melonsoft compass does not actually calibrate the compass, it only measures magnetic field strength and a whole lot of other parameters.
I found that if the compass needs calibrating (according to the Moverio calibration app), then the melonsoft compass will be haywire as well.
In other words the melonsoft compass will only read correctly if you successfully manage to calibrate the compass with the Moverio app, if that makes any sense. Weird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242