DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moving logs to or from an iPhone from a windows PC

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I have iTunes installed and can copy the entire "FlightRecords" folder to the PC but I want to move individual files from the PC to the phone.
If I "add" them it seems to drop the files in a 'folder'? I can not identify but which shows the FlightRecords folder. Note under android the flight records holding folder is "FlightRecord" and not "FlightRecords".
I can not find how to move those files to FlightRecords or delete them. I am an iPhone numpty so please be gentle.

I have iTunes installed and can copy the entire "FlightRecords" folder to the PC but I want to move individual files from the PC to the phone.
If I "add" them it seems to drop the files in a 'folder'? I can not identify but which shows the FlightRecords folder. Note under android the flight records holding folder is "FlightRecord" and not "FlightRecords".
I can not find how to move those files to FlightRecords or delete them. I am an iPhone numpty so please be gentle.
Depending on the version of IOS, there is the "Files" App, not sure of all it can do for you, but it may allow you to locate the files you are moving. It will also let you share files you select in different ways, messages, mail. etc.

"Files" seems to find the transfered files but does not seem to want to let me do anything with them.

"Files" seems to find the transfered files but does not seem to want to let me do anything with them.
You have to select the share icon to copy files to where you can do what you want... as I noted, you can mail them to youself, if you had a Mac, you could airdrop files, much easier..

Does altering the set of flight log files get reflected in the app? I haven't messed with this but I have been thinking of archiving the txt files, only keeping 3 or 6 months active, and add older ones if I want to review them. I suspect one of the files in the folder is an index file and would need to be rebuilt.

Does altering the set of flight log files get reflected in the app? I haven't messed with this but I have been thinking of archiving the txt files, only keeping 3 or 6 months active, and add older ones if I want to review them. I suspect one of the files in the folder is an index file and would need to be rebuilt.
The logs are not plain text, so I doubt if you could alter one and still have it work if you either edited it in place or changed it and moved it back.

Re "...u have to select the share icon to copy files to where you can do what yo..." I am not sure what you mean by a share icon but all I see is shown in the attached screen capture. The DJIFlightRecord_2020........ files are the ones I copied from the computer to the phone, I had no choice over where they 'landed'.

How would I "mail" logs to my self?
Airdrop??????

Re "Does altering the set of flight log files get reflected in the app?" These copied files are unaltered in anyway.
I have played with changing the names of logs being sent to an Android phone and it seems that providing the name is a continuous string of characters the nomenclature is flexible. It does not however like gaps in the name.
With regards to changing the contents of the individual txt's, given they are gibberish to me I wouldn't touch their contents.
If you are asking if the App indicates a increase or decrease in the number of flights as logs are copied to or removed from, the FlightRecord folder, then, under Android, the answer is yes it does, providing it 'likes' the name of those logs.
My first clue that the App does not like gaps in the name came when it would not detect some of my renamed logs, eventually I narrowed the problem down to a dislike of gaps.

With Go and Go4 where there are multiple drones of the same type it can subdivide the flight records into the individual drones but there are no individual totals for the subdivided flights.
The Apps also recognise any given drone by the name under which they first encountered that drone. So if they first met a drone as JoeBloggs_1 the drone will forever be known by the app as JoeBloggs_1 even if the name is subsequently changed.

With regards to an "index file", the only 'unusual' file I occasionally notice is something with something like json somewhere in the name, maybe on the extension.

Attachments

• using iTunes.png
    using iTunes.png
    88 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
In the files App, after you select a file/folder and you press and hold that file or folder, you get a popup menu that provides the Share Icon, which also appears if you select a specific file.. it looks like a page with an up arrow going through it, when you select/tap that, you get options to "share it", one of them is mail, so you could email yourself the contents of the folder, which may or may not be practical depending on size.

Now, IF you had a Mac, you could use Airdrop, its a file transfer protocol that is Mac specific as far as I know, and it sends the files to the selected device in moments.

In iTunes, I cannot recall the specific means of getting files from there to your computer, I would assume if you searched YT, and looked for moving files from iPhone to computer via iTunes, someone would have a handy video showing how to do it..

Last edited:
I use this:

Re "...u have to select the share icon to copy files to where you can do what yo..." I am not sure what you mean by a share icon but all I see is shown in the attached screen capture. The DJIFlightRecord_2020........ files are the ones I copied from the computer to the phone, I had no choice over where they 'landed'.

How would I "mail" logs to my self?
Airdrop??????

Re "Does altering the set of flight log files get reflected in the app?" These copied files are unaltered in anyway.
I have played with changing the names of logs being sent to an Android phone and it seems that providing the name is a continuous string of characters the nomenclature is flexible. It does not however like gaps in the name.
With regards to changing the contents of the individual txt's, given they are gibberish to me I wouldn't touch their contents.
If you are asking if the App indicates a increase or decrease in the number of flights as logs are copied to or removed from, the FlightRecord folder, then, under Android, the answer is yes it does, providing it 'likes' the name of those logs.
My first clue that the App does not like gaps in the name came when it would not detect some of my renamed logs, eventually I narrowed the problem down to a dislike of gaps.

With Go and Go4 where there are multiple drones of the same type it can subdivide the flight records into the individual drones but there are no individual totals for the subdivided flights.
The Apps also recognise any given drone by the name under which they first encountered that drone. So if they first met a drone as JoeBloggs_1 the drone will forever be known by the app as JoeBloggs_1 even if the name is subsequently changed.

With regards to an "index file", the only 'unusual' file I occasionally notice is something with something like json somewhere in the name, maybe on the extension.
I've looked at that JSON file. It seems to have log statistics so if it says there's 20 logs, app may only show 20 logs when you added 10 more from an archive.

Ahh I see the share icon, thanks, but nothing seems to give me anything useful and no "share it".

This is barmy, it is so blooming easy with an Android device.

I generally do not use youtube for researching the likes of this as I am deaf and whilst ploughing through the laughable subtitles and trying to watch what the broadcaster is doing, my eyes tend to glaze over.
I did persevere through one and he deleted what ever app held the files he wanted to remove, not really helpful as I would then have to figure out how to use an 'APK' or whatever the relent term is for IOS in order to avoid getting 1.2.abc

I found a very good site Step-by-step Guide to Set up And Use iTunes File Sharing Feature

It look like I can copy files and folders to and from whereever the iTunes thing opens that list but I can not move files that are visible in that list into the one of the folders shown in that list. Nor can I move files from the PC to folders in that list.
To delete an item from that list you highlight it and then press the delete key on the computer's keyboard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929