DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP Flyway NOT

Dabrain

Reactions
So, just flying around my neighborhood (nearest neighbor 3/4 of a mile) and on the way back my MP just stops says there is an obstacle. Not likely I'm 80 feet above any obstacle. Okay, so it's the sun and happens quite often this time of year. I do what I always do, because it's easy and I'm lazy. I turn the MP around so it's facing the bare spot on the hill across the canyon and fly home backwards. Before doing this I was showing my wife the warning "Mavic breaking obstacle, return sticks to neutral" or something like that. Start flying home (backwards) notice it's taking longer then normal check the distance and sure enough it's returning no problem the distance is getting shorter. Still hasn't come back and I can't hear it, check distance and now it's getting further away. Just then I loose video, then loose RC contact with the drone. Message pops up RTH, Okay cool, wait and the MP doesn't come home. All this sound familiar? Wait for it, MP flyway. NOT. Here's what happened. While showing my wife the obstacle message I turned the MP to the wrong bare spot on the other side of the canyon, did I mentioned I always do this because it's easy and I'm lazy so the MP was flying back on an oblique path until it crashed into a tree 1200 feet to the the north and 40 feet above my altitude. I live in the forest ,very steep hilly forest. The good news I have a Marco Polo on my drone in case it ever got lost in the forest, I go searching, 1 hour later I find MP, so much for lazy and easy. MP hit the top of an 80 foot tree, fell and landed upside down, 3 broken props, missing 2 of extended landing gear, no other damage. I write this to inform, don't fly backwards unless you absolutely have to, turn off the obstacle avoidance and fly home where you can see where you are going. Pilot Error, Flyaway NOT.

Good tip re: turning off OA rather than flying backwards if you can't see the drone.

So, just flying around my neighborhood (nearest neighbor 3/4 of a mile) and on the way back my MP just stops says there is an obstacle. Not likely I'm 80 feet above any obstacle. Okay, so it's the sun and happens quite often this time of year. I do what I always do, because it's easy and I'm lazy. I turn the MP around so it's facing the bare spot on the hill across the canyon and fly home backwards. Before doing this I was showing my wife the warning "Mavic breaking obstacle, return sticks to neutral" or something like that. Start flying home (backwards) notice it's taking longer then normal check the distance and sure enough it's returning no problem the distance is getting shorter. Still hasn't come back and I can't hear it, check distance and now it's getting further away. Just then I loose video, then loose RC contact with the drone. Message pops up RTH, Okay cool, wait and the MP doesn't come home. All this sound familiar? Wait for it, MP flyway. NOT. Here's what happened. While showing my wife the obstacle message I turned the MP to the wrong bare spot on the other side of the canyon, did I mentioned I always do this because it's easy and I'm lazy so the MP was flying back on an oblique path until it crashed into a tree 1200 feet to the the north and 40 feet above my altitude. I live in the forest ,very steep hilly forest. The good news I have a Marco Polo on my drone in case it ever got lost in the forest, I go searching, 1 hour later I find MP, so much for lazy and easy. MP hit the top of an 80 foot tree, fell and landed upside down, 3 broken props, missing 2 of extended landing gear, no other damage. I write this to inform, don't fly backwards unless you absolutely have to, turn off the obstacle avoidance and fly home where you can see where you are going. Pilot Error, Flyaway NOT.

Next time, just put it in sport mode, front sensors will be turned off and you can fly into the sun.

And it is also preferable to disable obstacle avoidance for RTH and setting a 100% safe RTH altitude instead.

I totally agree with setting a 100% safe RTH altitude. I had my RTH set to 33 meters which is 8 meters over the tallest trees around the house.

I totally agree with setting a 100% safe RTH altitude. I had my RTH set to 33 meters which is 8 meters over the tallest trees around the house.
I originally set my RTH to 125m, which was overkill. Maybe 50 now.

From the manual. Page 11, Flight Mode: S-mode (sport) The aircraft is using GPS for positioning...... Since Forward and Downward Vision System is disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacles in S-mode.

Fly backward is very safe if you pay attention to the map and simply follow the line connecting MP and your home point.

I solved the problem of phantom obstacles because of the low sun by recalibrating the vision system via the DJI Assistant. Hasn't happened since.

Yes. Thanks for asking. I started here:

There are a number of of other more concise tutorials on it as well on YouTube.. I found it to be a bit tricky and it took me more than one try, but it worked.
cleardot.gif

Thank God we all have computers , I was talking to a kid last week that wanted to buy a Mavic Pro and he doesnt have a computer. I did suggest that he'd buy that 1st. anyway how often do we need to use our PCs to upgrade and calibrate ? Seems like firmware updates are quit often , hopefully re calibrations are not.

Computer not necessary I've been flying since February without one. Luckily have had no problems.

Thank God we all have computers , I was talking to a kid last week that wanted to buy a Mavic Pro and he doesnt have a computer. I did suggest that he'd buy that 1st. anyway how often do we need to use our PCs to upgrade and calibrate ? Seems like firmware updates are quit often , hopefully re calibrations are not.
I have the mavic pro and Spark and not once used a computer I own a Samsung s8 and that does all my edit videos phones these days can do pretty much what you need a computer for unless you do high intensity editing and want instant processing then a computer is great. But I'm patient and don't mind waiting few more minutes for a edit to complete on my phone.

Remember that the Altitude is based on the elevation at the starting point. If there is a small elevated hill and a 25 meter tree you could have a problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11