DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP vs MP - Is it worth it or better to get MP and buy new props?

badgenes

Reactions
I was considering waiting for the MP2 release but since its been pushed back to at least June I don't know if the price drop will be worth the time I will miss. Currently have a P4, a bit tired of both the noise level and the couple of cracks I need to deal with so I thought moving to the Mavic family might serve me better and get me flying more. That being said now I am wondering if it is worth moving up to the MPP or just better to get the MP and props.

Thanks for your input

I personally think you'd be pleased with either and should go for the best deal. They are basically the same drone, when you compare them to all other drones. Both are great.

Reactions: garrion
I was reading that the MPP noise reduction is due primarily to the upgraded ESC with sinusoidal wave rather than square wave (sounds like PWM controlled?) driven motors. Anyone comment on the difference in observed noise level? 4DB I get, and I've watched the videos (which really tell you nothing considering there is a s**tload of processing going on just in the video production software not to mention the camera itself).

Compared to my old P3s and the P4 I've used, I've found the MP's noise to be quite soothing. When it's in the air a bit I can hardly hear it as it is, with the stock props. If you're going to fly it in circles around your head, then you might want to lose a few decibels, but I don't see the big benefit of the low-noise props. The original MP is great buy right now.

I have a P4 and a mavic pro, and fly both regularly, yes the MP is significantly quieter, and I have now bought the quiet props, and they are noticeably quieter again.
I fly the P4 on difficult flights, I have had my money out of it, so if it crashes, well I will be sad, but, if I lose my Mavic, there would be tears at bedtime.
The MP is a bargain at the moment, so I say go for it.
Have a look at the "Air", but if noise is a concern, then go for the Pro.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Most of the docs I'm reading state that the primary cause for noise reduction is the sinusoidal wave used in the motors of the MPP. For $100, I'll bite I suppose (pending clearance from my wife of course lol). My P4 with a stress crack is a beautiful but slightly sketchy device, OOW, and louder than ****. If the MP is quieter and the MPP quieter still, that's where I want to be in todays environment of overly paranoid folks and increasingly stringent legislation. The only persona experience I have with a Mavic is seeing one overhead at the start of a 5K we were running but not hearing it. That was impressive.

Reactions: lolo780
I was reading that the MPP noise reduction is due primarily to the upgraded ESC with sinusoidal wave rather than square wave (sounds like PWM controlled?) driven motors. Anyone comment on the difference in observed noise level? 4DB I get, and I've watched the videos (which really tell you nothing considering there is a s**tload of processing going on just in the video production software not to mention the camera itself).
I put the platinum props on my Mavic Pro and there's a big reduction in noise. Nobody seems to have compared this with the Mavic Pro Platinum but DJI claim longer flight time for the Mavic Pro Platinum

The only persona experience I have with a Mavic is seeing one overhead at the start of a 5K we were running but not hearing it. That was impressive.

I have a P4 and a MP, the MP definitely much quieter! Some people say they've noticed a further noise reduction with the MPP props, but I can't personally hear that much difference.

The P4 does have more power than the MP, but the MP is so much more portable and quicker to get going it's a worth-white trade-off in most situations. After having owned a P4, when you get that MP box, your first thought might be like mine - "Where is the rest of it?", ha.

Reactions: Prado man
The platinum is definitely worth the extra, and I have a P4A, MP and MPP. The MPP ESCs are very noticeably quieter than the MP, and slightly more efficient.
I have had flights over 30min on a stock Platinum vs 28.x on a Pro with Platinum props.

Reactions: macoman and Fedway
Fwiw, I waited until the MPP to come out which, imo is a slightly upgraded MP. DJI had time to tweak things/work out bugs from the first run MP. When the MP2 comes out, it may be a big redesign (or it may not) which in essence do you really want to buy out of the gate? There is no right or wrong answer. It's just something to ponder.

DJI quietly changed things on the Mavic during production and I wouldn't be surprised if the MP2 is similar.

I was considering waiting for the MP2 release but since its been pushed back to at least June I don't know if the price drop will be worth the time I will miss. Currently have a P4, a bit tired of both the noise level and the couple of cracks I need to deal with so I thought moving to the Mavic family might serve me better and get me flying more. That being said now I am wondering if it is worth moving up to the MPP or just better to get the MP and props.

Thanks for your input
I believe that although the low noise props will reduce the type of sound generated when used with the MP, the props were designed for the MPP and are more "flimsy than the standard props. You may not be happy with that combination. It is the longer battery life of the MPP that is the pull, in my opinion.

Thanks for your input

I love my Mavic Pro and I do own the MPP props. I used them many times and they work fine, without a doubt they are quieter but they also cause gimble vibration and seem to cause the drone to move forward slower against wind. I don't own a MPP but I suspect the updated ESC's handle the props better than the old MP with those same props. I have switched back to standard MP props and don't see the benefits of the MPP props worth the downsides, at least in my experiences. If you do not own a Mavic and don't need the long RC range go with A Mavic Air or wait for the MP2. The 100 Mbit bandwidth on the camera produces much better results with less digital noise and better color reproduction on the Mavic Air. The MP and MPP are incredible drones and were super innovative but now almost two years old I think the camera lacks a bit for people looking for professional results. The Phantom 4 Pro destroys the Mavics on camera but you lose the portability and discreetness of a smaller package.

Thanks for your input

Both aircrafts are the same.

As I have a Pro and a Platinum, I can say for sure they are not the same. The Platinum outperforms the Pro in flight and the ESC flight control board is completely redesigned.

I also have both.They are almost identical with minor changes.What is it offering the platinum that the standard mavic pro doesn't already do?It's just a minute more flight time but if you are going to use the low noise props to the standard mavic pro you will also have the low noise benefit and some extra flight time.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242