DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Music while flying?

Garfieldg

Reactions
Today was a great day - sunny, warm, I had the day off, a perfect day for flying. I walked to a quiet piece of land listening to Vaughan Williams, Lark Ascending (very appropriate) which led me to two questions/comments:
1. Can I listen to music on my iPhone 7+ at the same time as flying my Mavic (running DJI Go) or will it be risky using resources at the same time?

and

2. If you can listen at the same time and you do, what do you listen to.

Thank you.

I keep my Nexus 7 stripped down, in airplane mode and dedicated to Mavic controlling.
When doing that, I listen for other aircraft in the area, somebody approaching me, or my dog.
Why do people have to sonically remove themselves from the world when outdoors?

I too keep my ears open while flying. I've been flying drones for a while. I can usually predict, just seconds before, a high wind velocity warning pops up - because I am tuned into the sound of the Mavic's motors (not a big deal - but I have a feeling that newer pilots don't know the various flight sounds of their craft). A few months ago I had a fire bomber drop down below 400' and skim the top of the mountain where I was flying. I know the fire flyers up here, and found that it was a training exercise. Having heard the bomber's descent, I dropped the Mavic down into the tree line. The bomber crossed my flight path - where the Mavic had been just seconds prior. I wouldn't have been able to hear the bomber with music playing. To each their own. I prefer to be aware of my surroundings.

Last edited:
Reactions: PT_Mavic
I’ll take that as an ‘I don’t know’...... I want to sonically do what I like and simply asked if it would have a performance hit. Wow my first post and I get a snippy one.
Well, do you drive your car with earbuds in place?
As Qoncussion said just above, situational awareness is important when controlling a moving machine - I learned that while training to fly real airplanes.

But if I had several of my guns to my head, forcing me to choose, it would probably be Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 "From the New World".
Does that take some of the stinging snippiness out of it?

Last edited:
I’ll take that as an ‘I don’t know’...... I want to sonically do what I like and simply asked if it would have a performance hit. Wow my first post and I get a snippy one.
Hate to say it but you came to the wrong forum for this type of question. The Mavic is not a toy and given its capabilities it is imperative that you are aware of what's going on around you both visually and audibly. Most users here take flying seriously and would never advocate being distracted with anything while flying.

You are free to do whatever you like and whether or not there would be a performance impact depends on your device. It is not advised to run anything other than the app (Go or Litchi) you're using for flying and to place your device in airplane mode to prevent unwanted notifications from interfering with the app.

The Mavic is not a toy and given its capabilities it is imperative that you are aware of what's going on around you both visually and audibly.

It depends on who you listen to in this Forum. I was in what seemed like an endless argument last week with someone in here who wanted to mock everyone who didn't consider the Mavic a "toy". So careful how you throw that "toy" word around in here.

In response to this post though I too agree you need to keep your ears open when flying. Aircraft, people around you, heck the Mavic itself, all that is just part of situational awareness which is very important when you are flying. Like PT_Mavic I keep my phone in airplane mode and stripped down so all the resources go to the GO4 app. I have less problems that way.

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
I think listening to music is a great idea. Hadn't crossed my mind but I'm going to try it. Makes everything else more fun so should have the same effect on drone ops.

Get used to it mate, there's alot of people on here who think they're better than you and relish the opportunity to make you look stupid.
It's just because they're insecure and possibly got bullied at school!!

In answer to your question YES you can play music.. But.. I would recommend putting your device in aeroplane mode to prevent other applications interfering. Our machines are expensive so best use an external player for your music.
Hope that helps [emoji3]

Well, do you drive your car with earbuds in place?
As Qoncussion said just above, situational awareness is important when controlling a moving machine - I learned that while training to fly real airplanes.

But if I had several of my guns to my head, forcing me to choose, it would probably be Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 "From the New World".
Does that take some of the stinging snippiness out of it?
He was referring to the device speaker. Not ear buds.

Thank you for all the answers, I really didn’t mean to trivialise my use of the device but to me it’s an enjoyable hobby enhanced by some background music. I just wanted to make sure that multi-tasking my device in this way wasn’t eating up valuable resources. I wouldn’t dream of driving or operating a Mavic in earbuds, btw, I meant the external speakers.

Garfield, my experience with an iPhone 7 plus is that it can reliably do background audio while using DJI go 4. It even works as a pseudo field mic, have your subject call you on the iPhone, put it on speaker, and DJI cache records the audio so it's like a make shift field reporter audio setup - see your subject from the sky and hear them talk.

While we're on the subject (no pun intended), would be great if you could record audio only for the cache to later sync up

I don't use music when I fly simply like to keep it as silent as possible so I can hear any warnings or beeps that might occur. Plus the last thing I want to do is start singing to my favorite tune and disrupt my concentration.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
IMG_0230.GIF This how I like listening to music.
I will listen to a wide range of music when home and editing.
But nothing against you doing it right n the field as long as I can't hear it.
Two points against you out there., Drone gets a negative vibe and music.
Keep it in your ears if you want, just be aware of your surroundings.
If I had to choose it would be good calming nature or instrumental.

I don't listen to music while I fly... but if I did it would be Danger Zone (Top Gun) and I'd imagine my Mavic Pro is an A-10 Warthog ;)

I'd be very careful doing that and I'd make sure that I knew how to fly on the controller alone, i.e. with the Go4 app' locked up or off! If you are lucky, the iPhone will show loss of audio before it starts stuttering and locking up Go4 - but either is a sure sign that you're having resource allocation problems. If Go4 locks or crashes, the drone will still fly using the RC Controller - but you need your situational awareness tuned up to the max. and you'll not have Go4 giving you that FPV. It's a hard one to predict, but as I say - be prepared for the Go4 lock-up and you'll be OK ...

This isn’t true listening to music doesn’t Meaning your own professional because I have a friend who is the greatest never pilot I’ve ever seen in my entire life and this guy has more than 40 years of actual flight experience but he flies in at eight now he listens to his music all the time why he flies in this guy knows this guy can use the camera won’t listen to the music and fly circles around stuff that I was crashed my drone in an instant this guy is a ninja when it comes to flying and Maverick and he listens to music while he goes out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3