DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My attempt at hand catch landing gear

Dspace

Reactions
So I'm an older klutzy guy with below average drone flying skills wanting to fly the Mavic from a center console fishing boat in an area that's always choppy with varying amounts of wind (probably not the smartest idea:p, but hey, what the heck). Anyway here's my solution.

Designed/built with 3D printed PLA and carbon fiber tubing. No sensor interference, and about 4 grams heavier than the common Mavic landing gear many are familiar with. Optional add on water recovery floats and a compact radio beacon (tBeacon) with enclosure. Working pretty well so far. Cheers!

Hand Catch Landing gear_Common Landing Gear.jpg Add-on gear.jpg

Is it just me or do we all need our fingers in tact to fly again? Get some chain mail gloves for scaling fish to add to your boat kit IMO.

Reactions: BeefStew
So I'm an older klutzy guy with below average drone flying skills wanting to fly the Mavic from a center console fishing boat in an area that's always choppy with varying amounts of wind (probably not the smartest idea:p, but hey, what the heck). Anyway here's my solution.

Designed/built with 3D printed PLA and carbon fiber tubing. No sensor interference, and about 4 grams heavier than the common Mavic landing gear many are familiar with. Optional add on water recovery floats and a compact radio beacon (tBeacon) with enclosure. Working pretty well so far. Cheers!

View attachment 16614 View attachment 16615
Man, that is an amazing beacon.

Hey dspace, looks awesome! This is exactly what I need Are your files / instructions available somewhere? Cheers, Anil

Hey dspace, looks awesome! This is exactly what I need Are your files / instructions available somewhere? Cheers, Anil
I think I have one spare set I could send out to you, if you're willing to provide some feedback. It’s a combo of 3D printed parts and carbon fiber tube, so the print files are only part of the equation. Shoot me a private message with an address.

I know many people brush off the idea of hand catch gear for a smaller boat, but I live in an area where there is constant wind and serious chop (we're the kiteboarding/windsurfing mecca of the east US coast) so they really do make a difference on a bobbing/drifting boat when it's anything other than dead calm......

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragonfly
I think I have one spare set I could send out to you, if you're willing to provide some feedback. It’s a combo of 3D printed parts and carbon fiber tube, so the print files are only part of the equation. Shoot me a private message with an address.

I know many people brush off the idea of hand catch gear for a smaller boat, but I live in an area where there is constant wind and serious chop (we're the kiteboarding/windsurfing mecca of the east US coast) so they really do make a difference on a bobbing/drifting boat when it's anything other than dead calm......
cool, thanks man! The reason I'm interested is exactly the same: on a small boat, choppy and windy, whales and orcas show up, react quickly and start and land the thing without risking a finger or two (like it happend to me up in norway a few days ago) ;-) Will send you a private message...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa