DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My biggest fear was a reality yesterday

jljbtm

Reactions
So I updated the firmware on my mavic Pro a few weeks ago and had flown it's several times until yesterday it just took off on its own and flew into a tree on the other side of the house. All my pre flight checks looked good and the screen said Ready To Fly I did have GPS signal also there are no wires in this neighborhood large Lots and trees. I did select Precision Landing as I normally do had lift off it went up about four feet then it went up higher and took off over the house into the tree at first I thought it was going to get stuck a hundred feet up in the air but it kept flying as it was trying to get untangled and then it finally fell to the ground well I guess I'm glad for that otherwise I wouldn't know how to get it out of that tree. I've always heard that these things will take off and do something just like that and that was my biggest fear I didn't want to fly this aircraft because of that. So I don't know how much damage is done the camera was hanging by a thread three of the four preps were broken and it's a little dirty. I'm really having a hard time this should never happen I don't know why and I certainly don't know how to prevent it. Jack

Reactions: Chuck47
Post flight logs so others can see what went wrong.
If it's a firmware upgrade issue, the I think DJI would have to replace it under warranty. Just contact DJI.

Reactions: Garfieldg
Very sorry for your troubles, Jack. Hopefully dji will sort it out for you. Sounds like maybe an issue with the precision landing process.

Reactions: Daptone
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Selecting Precision Takeoff (clicking the box before sliding the auto take off) will cause the Mavic to rise up 30ft (not 4ft.) while it records it's take off position as well as gps coordinates. If the tree was within this 30ft process, that's why it climbed up into the branches and got tangled.

Don't blame firmware that has worked for weeks. Look for the real cause of the incident.
I think BluesDragon is on to one very real possibility.
Otherwise upload the logs and see if the resident forensic log decoders can tell you if its DJI's fault or your own.

Selecting Precision Takeoff (clicking the box before sliding the auto take off) will cause the Mavic to rise up 30ft (not 4ft.) while it records it's take off position as well as gps coordinates. If the tree was within this 30ft process, that's why it climbed up into the branches and got tangled.
He said it went up 4 feet and then went higher and took off over the house and THEN hit a tree.
Sounds like it didn't finish its ascend.
Also sounds like it may have halted or slowed at 4 feet or he wouldn't have mentioned that?
Interesting no doubt.

I will be calling DJI this afternoon and see if there any help figuring out what happened and I will keep you posted. Thanks for the thoughts. Jack

They simply wanted me to return it after syncing. So it's on its way to Texas

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+