DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My DJI Air 2S Review

BraveProgram

Reactions
My DJI Air 2S Review

I`ve been using the DJI Air 2S almost exclusively for the past week,and I must say that this new release from DJI is a different beast altogether. It has just enough upgrades and improvements to warrant the higher cost and I believe that it’s worth the purchase if you can take advantage of its full capabilities.

zl1pb6keT06rm9lb81QWWPWHOwlcvRYCFO2aCU3xtB4vc626bwpZ-SV59B1iCHZ8ddD54aWVXrN9PnnnCQw0eIN8bE5YJlC9nDk6EUuYscsB2rdIbuVY3MHWLF_ABCtKuu2pq7KR

First of all, let’s discuss what it is not. It is NOT a replacement to the Mavic 2 Pro,, nor should it be compared to it. The M2P is heavier, more expensive, and is simply DJI’s flagship and high-tier drone. While the specifications are now much closer than ever before, thinking that you can replace the M2P with an Air 2S is not the way to go.

It is also not a super smart drone, although it is quite capable of handling itself. I learned that the hard way when I crashed into some branches while testing out the ActiveTrack 4.0 feature (luckily, no damage!). While the Air 2S does have those additional top sensors and while APAS 4.0 does compensate a bit for the lack of them, you still have to take caution when using this feature by maintaining line of sight and having a spotter with you at all times (because them’s the rules!)

nTRVclfvo-xS_ga6Ed2tXsfpnwb4UtEFsPpC8JUCvK046meDlHqMjmSNT5Qkxit60MSOd_j0bnJq0tC6q09F4RdOI-CzB3_gqr4JwvS20tpRQ3w-OrTt3loFYUV7e73F60inGWD5

With those points being said, the Air 2S is a marvelous piece of tech that I didn’t expect to be available in a mid-level prosumer drone. The 1-inch sensor really is a game changer as there is no drone that comes to mind that has this type of sensor at the sub-1000 dollar price range (correct me if I’m wrong here!)

The improved camera obviously translates to better footage that is much better than the Mavic Air 2. I can even be bold enough to say that it is ALMOST at par with the Mavic 2 Pro when it comes to detail. With 5.4k resolution, 150Mbps bit rate, and 10-bit D log, there’s a lot of room to edit photos just the way you like without losing detail and quality.

I don’t see much of a difference when it comes to the flight experience although I do see some improvements in signal strength. Flying the Mavic Air 2 in and around the city can be difficult but that is eased somewhat by the four-antennas of the drone as well as O3 transmission. The aforementioned additional sensors make the Air 2S much safer to fly, although again flying safely and legally is still a must.

yv7DBF8b9JJIEfqsI_Gm_DBr1qRGXkqF0BCV_cWjsIGQGIwYOWcsJgy4B1CZSvaVyMszefEL90w5Ni-060w15I1HWrg5V7pMbj7o-A8_UskvXXqgejO4a0Mp8zVs-U38PYtt2LFy

Mastershots is a personal favorite of mine. It’s a new feature on the Air 2 where you stand around for 2 to 3 minutes and the drone flies pretty much by itself and you can make a montage of your shots afterwards with transition effects and music. There are other flight modes in the Air 2S but Mastershots is really all you need. It’s no Waypoints from the Mavic 2 Pro but I’m not complaining.

Of course, the best thing about this drone is that it’s backwards compatible mostly. Since it has basically the same body as the Mavic Air 2, you can share or reuse landing pands, some strobe lights, and maybe even prop guards. Best thing is that it’s compatible with the MA2 (or Mini 2, if you prefer) remote and it can use the MA2 batteries as well.

OR-WZ_HUdcx-25KnDJEqliUsKMuM6aM9rg_mDvApBhgkMRqbbdelM7v42s2FGYM2qR0esKOfTSt9MYmEGVnVCJYy_iZuzjf7_JWFI6BhzlROiA8wYYaAIXzQFzh9WqwESF0rwIf6

So is the DJI Air 2S worth it? In my opinion, yes, but only if you can take advantage of its ability to take good shots with its 1-inch sensor. If you’re coming from a Mavic 2 Pro, then this can be a good backup drone. If you’re coming from a Mini 2, then skip the Mavic Air 2 altogether and get this baby. The extra dollars that you spend will be worthwhile, I guarantee.

My DJI Air 2S Review

I`ve been using the DJI Air 2S almost exclusively for the past week,and I must say that this new release from DJI is a different beast altogether. It has just enough upgrades and improvements to warrant the higher cost and I believe that it’s worth the purchase if you can take advantage of its full capabilities.

zl1pb6keT06rm9lb81QWWPWHOwlcvRYCFO2aCU3xtB4vc626bwpZ-SV59B1iCHZ8ddD54aWVXrN9PnnnCQw0eIN8bE5YJlC9nDk6EUuYscsB2rdIbuVY3MHWLF_ABCtKuu2pq7KR

First of all, let’s discuss what it is not. It is NOT a replacement to the Mavic 2 Pro,, nor should it be compared to it. The M2P is heavier, more expensive, and is simply DJI’s flagship and high-tier drone. While the specifications are now much closer than ever before, thinking that you can replace the M2P with an Air 2S is not the way to go.

It is also not a super smart drone, although it is quite capable of handling itself. I learned that the hard way when I crashed into some branches while testing out the ActiveTrack 4.0 feature (luckily, no damage!). While the Air 2S does have those additional top sensors and while APAS 4.0 does compensate a bit for the lack of them, you still have to take caution when using this feature by maintaining line of sight and having a spotter with you at all times (because them’s the rules!)

nTRVclfvo-xS_ga6Ed2tXsfpnwb4UtEFsPpC8JUCvK046meDlHqMjmSNT5Qkxit60MSOd_j0bnJq0tC6q09F4RdOI-CzB3_gqr4JwvS20tpRQ3w-OrTt3loFYUV7e73F60inGWD5

With those points being said, the Air 2S is a marvelous piece of tech that I didn’t expect to be available in a mid-level prosumer drone. The 1-inch sensor really is a game changer as there is no drone that comes to mind that has this type of sensor at the sub-1000 dollar price range (correct me if I’m wrong here!)

The improved camera obviously translates to better footage that is much better than the Mavic Air 2. I can even be bold enough to say that it is ALMOST at par with the Mavic 2 Pro when it comes to detail. With 5.4k resolution, 150Mbps bit rate, and 10-bit D log, there’s a lot of room to edit photos just the way you like without losing detail and quality.

I don’t see much of a difference when it comes to the flight experience although I do see some improvements in signal strength. Flying the Mavic Air 2 in and around the city can be difficult but that is eased somewhat by the four-antennas of the drone as well as O3 transmission. The aforementioned additional sensors make the Air 2S much safer to fly, although again flying safely and legally is still a must.

yv7DBF8b9JJIEfqsI_Gm_DBr1qRGXkqF0BCV_cWjsIGQGIwYOWcsJgy4B1CZSvaVyMszefEL90w5Ni-060w15I1HWrg5V7pMbj7o-A8_UskvXXqgejO4a0Mp8zVs-U38PYtt2LFy

Mastershots is a personal favorite of mine. It’s a new feature on the Air 2 where you stand around for 2 to 3 minutes and the drone flies pretty much by itself and you can make a montage of your shots afterwards with transition effects and music. There are other flight modes in the Air 2S but Mastershots is really all you need. It’s no Waypoints from the Mavic 2 Pro but I’m not complaining.

Of course, the best thing about this drone is that it’s backwards compatible mostly. Since it has basically the same body as the Mavic Air 2, you can share or reuse landing pands, some strobe lights, and maybe even prop guards. Best thing is that it’s compatible with the MA2 (or Mini 2, if you prefer) remote and it can use the MA2 batteries as well.

OR-WZ_HUdcx-25KnDJEqliUsKMuM6aM9rg_mDvApBhgkMRqbbdelM7v42s2FGYM2qR0esKOfTSt9MYmEGVnVCJYy_iZuzjf7_JWFI6BhzlROiA8wYYaAIXzQFzh9WqwESF0rwIf6

So is the DJI Air 2S worth it? In my opinion, yes, but only if you can take advantage of its ability to take good shots with its 1-inch sensor. If you’re coming from a Mavic 2 Pro, then this can be a good backup drone. If you’re coming from a Mini 2, then skip the Mavic Air 2 altogether and get this baby. The extra dollars that you spend will be worthwhile, I guarantee.
Thanks for all the great info!

Reactions: Rchawks
My DJI Air 2S Review

Great review and very useful inforrmation - waiting for my Mavic Air 2s as we speak - can't wait!

I'm starting with this tiny giant and adding the Mavic 3 when it arrives.
Why? Are you running a business that has multiple employees and could need a couple in the air for different missions?
Not saying don't go get as many as you want but why?
I have the mini 2 and if I'm able to justify the costs of a bigger drone, I might look at the Mavic 3 when it comes out. I would like a better sensor and better self protection.
My accountant already wrote off the first drone and it may look like a toy but it is a business expense.. so curious.

Reactions: Tom Johnson
Why? Are you running a business that has multiple employees and could need a couple in the air for different missions?
I have the mini 2 and if I'm able to justify the costs of a bigger drone, I might look at the Mavic 3 when it comes out. I would like a better sensor and better self protection.
My accountant already wrote off the first drone and it may look like a toy but it is a business expense.. so curious.
Depending on what you're doing, it's good to have a backup bird.

Reactions: Tom Johnson
Yes. Running a business for photography, video and then adding missions with waypoints like construction site monitoring, etc... I'll use the Air 2S for the bulk of my real estate customers and then when I get a job that requires the Mavic 3 (or a drone with other capabilities) I'll grab it.

Reactions: New England Droning

That's a bit like asking why someone needs more than one rod & reel.

That's a bit like asking why someone needs more than one rod & reel.
Some people like to have multiples because they are full-up commercial businesses, Some people just like to have different drones... For me I can only fly one at a time and since I only do it for art photography, I just need one... I'm also nearing retirement age and I watch my pennies. I have a single rod/reel and one set of hip waders. But if I do ever decide to do ocean fishing then I will have to get a second rig for that... because a decent-sized bluefish would eat my fly gear... :cool:
That is why I asked why he needs more drones... If money was no object then maybe I would but I concentrate on keeping my debt as near to zero as possible... which is a whole other conversation...

It is NOT a replacement to the Mavic 2 Pro,, nor should it be compared to it
Hi,
i was out of the loop on anything DJI related for a long while - even missed the fact there WAS a new product. :)

Can you pls (or anybody else) to summarize points on the M2P/M2Z core diffs from that new Air 2S photo/video quality wise and other core topics of why it is still not quite there? specifically about camera, quality of 4k video feed in 10bits - i assumed they were supposed to make a full sensor scan resolution better? Or they kept it same way as on the M2P for now, where only cropped mode is perfectly sharp?

I have no rush at all to update my birds, only curious to know, thx.

I'm impressed by the Occusync 3.0 on the Air 2S

Just got mine yesterday. Got it all updated and ready to go for this weekend. Gonna start practicing for a part-time business as I head toward retirement. Have been flying Mini 2 since it came out and love it...this will give me that bit more ability for those better shots and videos. Also just received my Part 107 Remote Pilot certificate.

Reactions: projectarjun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada