DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 My encounter with a gyrocopter

JackL

Reactions
I was practicing using spotlight when I heard something coming really fast. I could not spot it for the life of me. When I finally saw how low and close it was coming I brought my drone to the level of my head just next to me off the dock! I figured it needed to hit me to get my beloved MA2!

I also briefly thought I was going to chase it but it was doing like 100mph...lol

Last edited:
That was low! Definitely a justification for VLOS. Had you been several hundred meters out and happened to intersect that aircraft's flight path, I'm not sure what options you'd have short of nearly ditching into the drink! I'm assuming it didn't show up via AirSense?

Howard

That was low! Definitely a justification for VLOS. Had you been several hundred meters out and happened to intersect that aircraft's flight path, I'm not sure what options you'd have short of nearly ditching into the drink! I'm assuming it didn't show up via AirSense?

Howard

No AirSense alert from that thing and I definitely been directly in that exact airspace looking straight down at sharks for a good while before it showed up. Without VLOS it would have hit me and I probably would have no idea what happened to the drone... I am hyper aware of airborne threats at this point because I have had a bunch of those gyrocopters zip by me already flying insanely low, also a crazy flying rubber raft and a really awesome Icon A5 seaplane that came over at 50ft (saw with airsense). The Coast Guard sometimes comes through really low in all sorts of aircraft. Also some very large flocks of birds are around! A bunch of pelicans almost got me shortly after this.

No AirSense alert from that thing and I definitely been directly in that exact airspace looking straight down at sharks for a good while before it showed up. Without VLOS it would have hit me and I probably would have no idea what happened to the drone... I am hyper aware of airborne threats at this point because I have had a bunch of those gyrocopters zip by me already flying insanely low, also a crazy flying rubber raft and a really awesome Icon A5 seaplane that came over at 50ft (saw with airsense). The Coast Guard sometimes comes through really low in all sorts of aircraft. Also some very large flocks of birds are around! A bunch of pelicans almost got me shortly after this.
You say that's a typical thing? 100 mph, low flying gryo's with no positional data... and they're worried about US?!?!?!? lol.

What an experience man. Honestly, I have to say hats off for your quick reaction and wherewithal to bring it down FAST!

I think we can add this one to the list of what you SHOULD DO, hey boys?

Nice work.

OUTSTANDING video!! Really enjoyed the encounter!! Glad you didn't lose your bird!

And h yeah, I want one of those things!! Reminds me of that crazy guy on Mad Max!

I was practicing using spotlight when I heard something coming really fast. I could not spot it for the life of me. When I finally saw how low and close it was coming I brought my drone to the level of my head just next to me off the dock! I figured it needed to hit me to get my beloved MA2!

I also briefly thought I was going to chase it but it was doing like 100mph...lol

It looked more like a gunship!!! Lucky that you noticed it. ??????

It may just be my training and flight experience (nothing implied to OP) but for me I would have instantly clicked to sports mode and punched up and away both in a combined effort would have cleared the other aircraft much faster than a descent by speed ratings of your aircraft being the lowest in descent. I would have been a good three to four times cleared than what you managed.

If these aircraft are routinely cruising at that altitude and that speed then punching up and away (No matter what direction your facing quick 180 Yaw, both sticks full up) seems to make more sense to me than your controlled steered descent toward yourself for it's safety. The FAA merely says: Always avoid manned aircraft, it doesn't stipulate down. YMMV and IMHO, and you would know best given situation.

Maybe something you would want to practice if this is a common thing on some flights in the future, perhaps a friend or spotter could just give you a verbal alert such as: "low aircraft inbound" to replicate your first hearing these things zipping around. That way your can get a feel for the switch position in memory and then just pump the sticks straight up if need be?

On a similar situation, you might just want to take the loss and set up for a CSC dump in the drink...would be much better than a mid air under some conditions. In your shown situation that aircraft had very little, if any cockpit. It would be a one in a million, but could you imagine that thing smacking him in the face given his speed? That would have been a death for sure.

Last edited:
And h yeah, I want one of those things!! Reminds me of that crazy guy on Mad Max!

That was my very first thought!

I can't believe how many of them are in the FL Keys. In my entire life I had only ever seen one IRL and read about the guy that flew one to the White House years ago. Over the last month I have seen at least 10 different gyros actually flying basically same path and honestly most of them look like someone built it from electrical conduit and strapped a VW motor on!! I can see why they stick to the shoreline...lol

Reactions: Hauptmann
It may just be my training and flight experience (nothing implied to OP) but for me I would have instantly clicked to sports mode and punched up and away both in a combined effort would have cleared the other aircraft much faster than a descent by speed ratings of your aircraft being the lowest in descent. I would have been a good three to four times cleared than what you managed.

If these aircraft are routinely cruising at that altitude and that speed then punching up and away (No matter what direction your facing quick 180 Yaw, both sticks full up) seems to make more sense to me than your controlled steered descent toward yourself for it's safety. The FAA merely says: Always avoid manned aircraft, it doesn't stipulate down. YMMV and IMHO, and you would know best given situation.

Maybe something you would want to practice if this is a common thing on some flights in the future, perhaps a friend or spotter could just give you a verbal alert such as: "low aircraft inbound" to replicate your first hearing these things zipping around. That way your can get a feel for the switch position in memory and then just pump the sticks straight up if need be?

On a similar situation, you might just want to take the loss and set up for a CSC dump in the drink...would be much better than a mid air under some conditions. In your shown situation that aircraft had very little, if any cockpit. It would be a one in a million, but could you imagine that thing smacking him in the face given his speed? That would have been a death for sure.

I only have two months of droning experience so every new, unforeseen situation comes with dozens of thoughts racing through my head. Since I couldn't get a visual fix on the approaching UFO (looking too high I guess), and I could hear it rapidly approaching, I was afraid to go up or in any direction but down. My spotter saying 'it's going to be a head on collision' over and over didn't help...

I was never expecting something this low and fast. Fortunately once I did see it I had the drone 6' off the water and shielded by the dock.

Sport mode evasive maneuvers are definitely something I am going to do obsessively starting today! I am thankful I have been practicing a lot without the screen and can fly VLOS pretty well at this point. It was very helpful for my nerves that I was in complete control of the drone without looking at the screen so I could search the sky.

Most of the gyrocopters I've seen so far don't have any windshield at all!! Just a dude wearing goggles. That was a really nice one. My biggest fear has become hitting one of them in the head! I am glad they stick to the shoreline and don't go out over the open ocean where I do most of my flying and can see threats coming from miles away with plenty of time to think about what to do.

I am really thankful for this forum and the members extensive experiences I've read about since this hobby comes with so many hazards you would never consider before taking to the sky.

One of my neighbors owns one of these. I'm angling for a ride :) Did you know that the top rotor isn't powered? Rather the engine drives the rear propeller, and the forward motion makes the top rotor spin and act like a wing. Very cool. OK, to be precise, during takeoff (and maybe landing) there is "some" power provided to the top rotor, but a clutch releases that power shortly after takeoff.

Reactions: Hauptmann and JackL
I only have two months of droning experience so every new, unforeseen situation comes with dozens of thoughts racing through my head. Since I couldn't get a visual fix on the approaching UFO (looking too high I guess), and I could hear it rapidly approaching, I was afraid to go up or in any direction but down. My spotter saying 'it's going to be a head on collision' over and over didn't help...

I was never expecting something this low and fast. Fortunately once I did see it I had the drone 6' off the water and shielded by the dock.

Sport mode evasive maneuvers are definitely something I am going to do obsessively starting today! I am thankful I have been practicing a lot without the screen and can fly VLOS pretty well at this point. It was very helpful for my nerves that I was in complete control of the drone without looking at the screen so I could search the sky.

Most of the gyrocopters I've seen so far don't have any windshield at all!! Just a dude wearing goggles. That was a really nice one. My biggest fear has become hitting one of them in the head! I am glad they stick to the shoreline and don't go out over the open ocean where I do most of my flying and can see threats coming from miles away with plenty of time to think about what to do.

I am really thankful for this forum and the members extensive experiences I've read about since this hobby comes with so many hazards you would never consider before taking to the sky.
I think you did good by bringing it down and close to you, I'm thinking the gyroguy (new word here) wouldn't get that close to the dock anyway.

Reactions: Hauptmann and JackL
You say that's a typical thing? 100 mph, low flying gryo's with no positional data... and they're worried about US?!?!?!? lol.

What an experience man. Honestly, I have to say hats off for your quick reaction and wherewithal to bring it down FAST!

I think we can add this one to the list of what you SHOULD DO, hey boys?

Nice work.

My first thought was, 'wow, unrestricted airspace' really means unrestricted! haha

West of where I live is an area of the Everglades where a whole lot of pleasure flying and training goes on. Over the years there have been dozens and dozens of collisions of light aircraft.

I can see where they are concerned about drones since the camera view is horrible compared to your own eyes, and still people manage to collide in the wide open sky using them. I am really hoping the next big development for drones is some sort of short range active radar! I would feel way more confident if I could see little blips in a one mile radius on my screen over flaky ADS-B transponders!!

One of my neighbors owns one of these. I'm angling for a ride :) Did you know that the top rotor isn't powered? Rather the engine drives the rear propeller, and the forward motion makes the top rotor spin and act like a wing. Very cool. OK, to be precise, during takeoff (and maybe landing) there is "some" power provided to the top rotor, but a clutch releases that power shortly after takeoff.

It seems they are actually one of the safer aircraft designs. It is a really cool craft for sure. The first one I saw looked like total flying junk and I still wanted it!! haha

• Haha
Reactions: Hauptmann and A.O.

Hats off to you for excellent Seek And Avoid skills with only 2 months experience. Well done. And you received the forum constructive criticism very well, acknowledging that you would consider additional emergency evasive measures. Your experience reminds us that we really need to be vigilant even while in G Airspace. ✈️
???????
Blue Skys and Happy Trails.90E78AEE-9AF8-411A-AB23-0E3801C3C691.png

Last edited:
Gyrocopters have been around since the 1930’s at least. The old London Bridge was disassembled and moved to the Colorado River and reassembled at Lake Havasu city by a Gyrocopter manufacturer in the 60’s or 70’s. The bridge connected his new airport/factory to the Arizona side of the River - all due to his attempt to commercialize the gyrocopter. The factory failed but the bridge remains there proudly! A piece of British-American aviation trivia for this very international forum.

Gyrocopters have been around since the 1930’s at least. The old London Bridge was disassembled and moved to the Colorado River and reassembled at Lake Havasu city by a Gyrocopter manufacturer in the 60’s or 70’s. The bridge connected his new airport/factory to the Arizona side of the River - all due to his attempt to commercialize the gyrocopter. The factory failed but the bridge remains there proudly! A piece of British-American aviation trivia for this very international forum.

This is awesome. I don;t understand why they are not common. It is almost the flying car we were promised as kids!!

Just wondering how fast those things can go? Also, if they’re going fast and low, wouldn’t pelicans and seagulls be a hazard?

Birds definitely have to be a hazard!

I just found this on a build a gyrocopter website.

"Because a gyroplane can maneuver and land in a small area, and because it enjoys a wide range of safe airspeeds from 10 mph to 100-plus mph (the legal ultralight top speed limit is 55 knots or 63 mph). In addition, gyroplanes are the most maneuverable of all aircraft, and they have the power-to-weight ratio of an F-16."

DOn;t know how true this is but I bet you could make one real fast! Dude was definitely doing over 63mph! ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC