DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first confrontation with an angry anti drone chap.

Drones_eye_cornwall

Reactions
Hi all.
I’m sure this Subject has been posted about before, but last night I was confronted by a rather angry chap.
I had been flying off an area in Cornwall called Rinsey. I was 60 m out from land and 50m high. No one near or about until this chap appeared from the cliff and told me “you have to stop doing that now! It’s illegal!”
I was In the middle of flying and ididn’t want to take my eye off the drone. I always concentrate that little harder on position when out over the sea.
i said I was aware of the restrictions on altitude due to the local naval base but it was not a NFZ and I had checked.
He then told me it all belongs to the national trust. Even that part of the sea. I was disturbing nesting birds and I was breaking the law.
I calmly said ok. I didn’t realise and I’ll land as soon as I can.
With that he walked off muttering.
Then as I was coming in to land two women walking dogs off leads came over and told me to stop using that thing it’s noisy.

it’s a mavic air 2

i again apologised and said I was packing up now anyway.
I launched and landed from a small clearing off the path with no one near.
Was I breaking the law?
if the national trust owns the sea and all the coast how are you going to get any pictures without breaking the law?

thanks. Barry.

Did you take off and land on NT property as they don't allow drones. They don't own the airspace though or the sea for that matter. If your TOAL spot was not on NT property then you were not breaking the law.
In fact if you check Drone Scene - Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK you will see that their boundary only comes down to the edge of the coast at certain points.
Blue areas are NT property.

Attachments

• dr_rinsey.jpg
    dr_rinsey.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Hi all.
I’m sure this Subject has been posted about before, but last night I was confronted by a rather angry chap.
I had been flying off an area in Cornwall called Rinsey. I was 60 m out from land and 50m high. No one near or about until this chap appeared from the cliff and told me “you have to stop doing that now! It’s illegal!”
I was In the middle of flying and ididn’t want to take my eye off the drone. I always concentrate that little harder on position when out over the sea.
i said I was aware of the restrictions on altitude due to the local naval base but it was not a NFZ and I had checked.
He then told me it all belongs to the national trust. Even that part of the sea. I was disturbing nesting birds and I was breaking the law.
I calmly said ok. I didn’t realise and I’ll land as soon as I can.
With that he walked off muttering.
Then as I was coming in to land two women walking dogs off leads came over and told me to stop using that thing it’s noisy.

it’s a mavic air 2

i again apologised and said I was packing up now anyway.
I launched and landed from a small clearing off the path with no one near.
Was I breaking the law?
if the national trust owns the sea and all the coast how are you going to get any pictures without breaking the law?

thanks. Barry.
Barry,
What a lot of nonsense...if you have not broken any rules your fine . The beaches are owned by the Queen !! you can fly over them without an issue just obey the rules. People drones are no different to RC ..planes. Was the dog on a lead..? ha.. if they want silence tell them to go to the library .

Barry,
What a lot of nonsense...if you have not broken any rules your fine . The beaches are owned by the Queen !! you can fly over them without an issue just obey the rules. People drones are no different to RC ..planes. Was the dog on a lead..? ha.. if they want silence tell them to go to the library .

My experience is that libraries are not that quiet either.! ?

I also had a similar encounter.
I was on National Trust land at the time but thought it came under the same rules as the National Parks, it doesn't and they have a blanket ban on drones.
I apologised and thanked him for informing me, he was happy with that and left me alone.
You can fly over NT land but not take off from it.

Did you take off and land on NT property as they don't allow drones. They don't own the airspace though or the sea for that matter. If your TOAL spot was not on NT property then you were not breaking the law.
In fact if you check Drone Scene - Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK you will see that their boundary only comes down to the edge of the coast at certain points.
Blue areas are NT property.

It looks like I was on NT property. :(
I had assumed a footpath was different but in future I’ll check using the site from the link provided. Thank you. It does show that a future shot I’m looking to do is not in a restriction so that’s awesome.

Not sure if I should mention this here or in a new thread (mods please move if appropriate).

I recently flew my Mavic while on holiday in France (lucky to get away just before the latest restrictions) but was asked by a local not to fly over their property. I know I wasn't doing anything wrong but it turns out that there's been a spate of horrendous horse mutilations scattered around the country so horse owners are afraid that any drone could be being used by some nutter looking for the next victim!

Obviously I didn't want to upset anyone so didn't fly for the rest of the holiday but its sad that nutters and anti-droners can spoil it for us all.

You can take off from between the high and low tide water marks. That's crown property and the Queen has given permission.

The National Trust do not want drones for several reasons.
So as not to disturb the nature of the natural history sight or historic property whilst others are viewing it.
So as not to be a danger to the public and NT employees.
NT have said that they do not want drones and you should therefore not take off and land on NT property.
The only law that National Trust can use against drone flights are the privacy laws. That would be a civil and not a criminal action I think.

Bottom line is you can fly over NT property governed by CAA and the drone code but the National Trust and some members of the public would like you not to do it.
There is No criminal law that says you cannot fly over or near NT property it is not illegal its just not desirable whilst others are around.

Try again when there is no one there and not in the nesting season.

PS If its illegal to fly a drone over NT property then its illegal to fly A747 but I don't hear of any airline being prosecuted. There is one flying over my house as I type.
Here is an interesting link Foreshore Crown Estate

Last edited:
It looks like I was on NT property. :(
I had assumed a footpath was different but in future I’ll check using the site from the link provided. Thank you. It does show that a future shot I’m looking to do is not in a restriction so that’s awesome.

It’s also worth remembering, if you’re flying at the coast, that the foreshore(area between low and high tide) is Crown Estate land and allow drone flying.

You can take off from between the high and low tide water marks. That's crown property and the Queen has given permission.

The National Trust do not want drones for several reasons.
So as not to disturb the nature of the natural history sight or historic property whilst others are viewing it.
So as not to be a danger to the public and NT employees.
NT have said that they do not want drones and you should therefore not take off and land on NT property.
The only law that National Trust can use against drone flights are the privacy laws. That would be a civil and not a criminal action I think.

Bottom line is you can fly over NT property governed by CAA and the drone code but the National Trust and some members of the public would like you not to do it.
There is No criminal law that says you cannot fly over or near NT property it is not illegal its just not desirable whilst others are around.

Try again when there is no one there and not in the nesting season.

PS If its illegal to fly a drone over NT property then its illegal to fly A747 but I don't hear of any airline being prosecuted. There is one flying over my house as I type.
Here is an interesting link Foreshore Crown Estate
I'm no bird expert but are birds on the UK coast still nesting & rearing young this late in the year? If they're not then surely the chap who originally challenged the OP was using a false reason for his opposition. Being on NT land however is a different matter.

I'm no bird expert but are birds on the UK coast still nesting & rearing young this late in the year? If they're not then surely the chap who originally challenged the OP was using a false reason for his opposition. Being on NT land however is a different matter.
From April to June, seabird colonies around the UK are at their vibrant, raucous and pungent best. Come and experience them for yourselves. RSPB

Reactions: Badgersurfer
From April to June, seabird colonies around the UK are at their vibrant, raucous and pungent best. Come and experience them for yourselves. RSPB
Providing there are not a couple of dog walking women shouting at the poor birds telling them not to make so much noise...

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I'm in Toronto, ON. From time to time even in public parks I'll get approached by Karen's and Ken's, but normally I'll carry an educational pamphlet with Canadian gov sites with info they should search before speaking. I'll also carry laws about public photography and how that correlates with drone photography. Killem with kindness and a hint of ( Mod Removed Language)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to mention the tidal zone thing and overflights of NT property but others have already done so.
Your post raises an interesting point, I accept that I can not take off and land on NT property but if I take off and land outside their boundary can I walk onto their land whilst controlling the drone in flight?
The nesting birds argument carries weight in the spring etc. but are any birds nesting at this time of year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I was going to mention the tidal zone thing and overflights of NT property but others have already done so.
Your post raises an interesting point, I accept that I can not take off and land on NT property but if I take off and land outside their boundary can I walk onto their land whilst controlling the drone in flight?
The nesting birds argument carries weight in the spring etc. but are any birds nesting at this time of year?
I regularly use the crown foreshore map for reference....last time I looked there was very little deemed crown Estate around the Cornwall peninsula....is there a reason for that ?

I also had a similar encounter.
I was on National Trust land at the time but thought it came under the same rules as the National Parks, it doesn't and they have a blanket ban on drones.
I apologised and thanked him for informing me, he was happy with that and left me alone.
You can fly over NT land but not take off from it.
If you take like a raft and push it into the sea, does that count as taking off on NT land too?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000