DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first Mavic Mini Fly

nld09

Reactions
I just got the Mavic Mini Combo on Prime day and did my first flight yesterday. I am very impressed with the performance and capability of tiny drone. I am satisfied with the photo and video capture quality. I would say it's more than enough for flying around your home and family vacation. It's pretty easy to fly and super stable but my biggest concern is the wind. Around my house has nothing but pretty tall trees(100ft +), so if it got stuck or felt down on a tree then the recovery chance would be like 0%. I lost a few cheap drones already around my place. The realistic flight time is about 25 minutes and the combo battery charging is quick. Very happy with the purchase.

Reactions: 6 String Fan
Glad you’re enjoying the drone, it’s a nice device especially for the cost. It might be worth buying the DJI Refresh warranty for it if you think flying into trees may be an issue. But of course that doesn’t help you much if it remains stuck in those trees and out of reach :)

enjoy the drone!

I glad you are enjoying your nice purchase. Do not be afraid about the wind, the mini can handle easy 15mph wind conditions and over that as well with some experience. Just make sure you set Return To Home Altitude with at least 170 FT to clear all your trees, antennas, etc when the mini return home in case of any loss of signal. You will be fine. Do not be afraid to fly far. I personally archived 2.2 Miles distance with the mini. Also, make sure before go far you have plenty of battery, but in the mini that is not too concerning because of that battery last forever. If you experience windy conditions just switch to sport mode, which will give the mini plenty of power to fight winds up to 25Mph.

Is a very capable machine.

Reactions: OldBoy
I upgraded from a Tello to the Mini and while the Mini has very definite limits, it can handle some wind. I've flown on days where UAV Forecast has said it was 10+mph winds and gusting close to 20.

mikeg

Reactions: Bob Suval
By the way, Welcome to Mavic Pilots!

I glad you are enjoying your nice purchase. Do not be afraid about the wind, the mini can handle easy 15mph wind conditions and over that as well with some experience. Just make sure you set Return To Home Altitude with at least 170 FT to clear all your trees, antennas, etc when the mini return home in case of any loss of signal. You will be fine. Do not be afraid to fly far. I personally archived 2.2 Miles distance with the mini. Also, make sure before go far you have plenty of battery, but in the mini that is not too concerning because of that battery last forever. If you experience windy conditions just switch to sport mode, which will give the mini plenty of power to fight winds up to 25Mph.

Is a very capable machine.
Mentioning that 2.2 miles is possible with the MM to someone surrounded by tall trees may not be advisable. I have a similar situation with tall trees and can start loosing signal at 1,200'. It would seem prudent to err on the conservative side until some experience were gained in that particular environment.

Thanks everyone for the advices. The Mavic Mini is pretty capable after watching Dustin Dunnill YouTube reviews. I am taking caution for my first few flights ?.

My previous drone was the Syma X8HG (pretty basic drone). It was an ok for a beginner drone but was unreliable because it could drop off from the sky at anytime and the brush motors/battery didn't last long at all.

Reactions: jwp721
Thanks everyone for the advices. The Mavic Mini is pretty capable after watching Dustin Dunnill YouTube reviews. I am taking caution for my first few flights ?.

My previous drone was the Syma X8HG (pretty basic drone). It was an ok for a beginner drone but was unreliable because it could drop off from the sky at anytime and the brush motors/battery didn't last long at all.

Congrats on you’re Mini! I personally think starting w a Syma was a great way to appreciate the features you get when moving up to the Mini.

I would suggest you read up on the rules for flying a drone in the US. The Mini is such a powerful drone you can quickly find yourself doing things that could get you into trouble. Especially around Atlanta where you have a major airport in the area. Just my opinion though.....

Thanks jwp721. Definitely I will read more about rules of flying a drone. I see small planes and helicopters fly over my areas very often so definitely I would not fly near 400 ft.

Honestly, I think being afraid of the wind is smart. People who have flyaways have a no-fear attitude and forget about strong gusts up high. Obviously don’t let the fear make you not fly, but be aware and cautious unless you don’t mind buying a new mini.

And listen to wind warnings! DJI can only warn you so much before it becomes operator error lol

1. Don’t fly downwind if it is windy.
2. The comment about acquainting yourself with the rules probably is a nice way of telling you to not fly anywhere you cannot directly see the drone like beyond those tall trees surrounding you.

Honestly, I think being afraid of the wind is smart. People who have flyaways have a no-fear attitude and forget about strong gusts up high. Obviously don’t let the fear make you not fly, but be aware and cautious unless you don’t mind buying a new mini.

And listen to wind warnings! DJI can only warn you so much before it becomes operator error lol

Totally agreed. I would be a bit nervous to fly out of sight right now because there is a little chance for a recoverable landing in case of an emergency. Definitely I wouldn't mind push it to the limit at an open area but I don't want to make a $400 mistake.

1. Don’t fly downwind if it is windy.
2. The comment about acquainting yourself with the rules probably is a nice way of telling you to not fly anywhere you cannot directly see the drone like beyond those tall trees surrounding you.

Don't fly downwind if it's windy? I am not sure what is that mean. I am familiar myself with this drone first before put it to the limit ? .

Perhaps better said as fly out with the wind and return with the wind.

Do you mean fly against the wind and return with the wind?

I just got the Mavic Mini Combo on Prime day and did my first flight yesterday. I am very impressed with the performance and capability of tiny drone. I am satisfied with the photo and video capture quality. I would say it's more than enough for flying around your home and family vacation. It's pretty easy to fly and super stable but my biggest concern is the wind. Around my house has nothing but pretty tall trees(100ft +), so if it got stuck or felt down on a tree then the recovery chance would be like 0%. I lost a few cheap drones already around my place. The realistic flight time is about 25 minutes and the combo battery charging is quick. Very happy with the purchase.
Same here! I love this little flyer and when the wind kicks up I put her into Sport mode for that extra little kick to overcome the wind strength

Totally agreed. I would be a bit nervous to fly out of sight right now because there is a little chance for a recoverable landing in case of an emergency. Definitely I wouldn't mind push it to the limit at an open area but I don't want to make a $400 mistake.

Don't fly downwind if it's windy? I am not sure what is that mean. I am familiar myself with this drone first before put it to the limit ? .

Do you mean fly against the wind and return with the wind?
Yes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3