DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first thoughts on Mavic Air

MrRobville

Reactions
So after weeks lurking around on this forum and many webshops, waiting until it finally got in stock again, I said sorry to my bank account and got myself a Mavic Air!
It is quite an improvement for me, coming from a Phantom 3 Standard. As a drone that fills the gap between the Pro and the Spark, I deemed it ideal. The size is just absolutely incredible. I mean, look at this:
7K89XMP.jpg

qh4SOlh.jpg

Setting it up was rather odd in my case as I own a HTC One, which is not listed as a compatible device for DJI Go 4 and cannot be installed from the Play store, so I had to download the APK manually and transfer the resource file from a much slower phone which strangely was listed as compatible but is certainly not fit for flying (heavy stutter etc.)
However, after getting the app to work, the footage was crazily fluent. I did a few test flights in a Rotterdam park and not once did I encounter a frame stutter or disconnect. I'm really stunned how well the Wifi connection held up and am glad my initial skepticism was proven incorrect.

For a moment I did hold my breath at home when the drone lost connection while sitting on the table and didn't reconnect. After some Googling most people advised sending the drone to DJI, which I would be a lot of hassle. However, apparently after switching to a different micro USB cable I depleted 3 batteries in the park without a single connection loss. So lets hope it stays that way. Note, I didn't go further than 30 meters as I'm within a city with a general nofly zone, but most people with this disconnect issue reported it at a few feet of distance, so I guess if mine had the same issue, I would have noticed it regardless of distance.

The internal storage at first I thought was more of a gimmick, but now I'm actually quite glad that DJI has put it in, as I found out that my previously bought SD cards were too slow. Now I was still able to record!

Though not advertised, I found that catching the Mavic (or hand landing) was quite easy. I could disable the bottom sensors in flight, position my hand below it and press slightly down on the stick to compensate for the wind blowing on my hand and I could grab it without any hassle. I tried this about 10 times and every attempt went perfect.

Also I was pleasantly surprised that the batteries can be used as powerbanks. Odd that no reviewer has mentioned it as I think it can be handy.

As for the noise the Air makes, for some reason it wasn't as remotely as loud as I had expected it to be. Perhaps I'm used to the P3S which may be way louder, but even with the higher pitch I didn't feel the urge to make the flight quick so that I can make things quiet again.

That said, the Mavic did of course attract a lot of attention being in a park, but I was fortunate enough that all bystanders were interested in the little fella. Especially when I tried out the hand gestures or active track modes. A father with two kids even came up to me out of interest and found it really cool to see how it worked. It was cute how amazed these kids were by seeing it. I can only imagine how I would react at that age, seeing something like this.

So all in all, my first impressions are really positive and I cannot wait to take this out on holidays. I reckon because this drone is so much easier to put up than a P3S, I'd be more inclined to use it more often and more spontaneous.

Coming from a phantom vision I know how you feel. I'm really happy with this model and to me the distance I can take it is impressive. After flying it around yesterday, easily twice as far as I ever got the vision, I realized my dumb *** had forgotten to unfold the drone antennas. That's how much better it is. I'm still learning all the stuff I can do with the drone and if I could get it to active track my dog I'd be stupid happy.

I too upgraded from a Phantom 3 Standard, and the Mavic Ais is very impressive. Your comments are my observations as well. I've had several conversations with people out in the field when using the Smart Capture mode, and they were all very impressed. I think as long as an owner's expectations of range with Wifi is in check, the Air will not disappoint. I'm getting around 3/4 - 1 mile of good range in an urban area, and that's just fine for me (and definitely more than the P3S in the same area). Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I agree with the range. It's nice and all that it's listed to be able to go 10km out (Pro even 13), but let's be honest. If I need to film something 10km away, I'll drive 10 kilometers to what I want to film. Granted, that most of my shots are on land, but still. Pretty much all of my shots cover a subject like myself, which will become invisible at such a distance. The farthest I've ever gone with the P3S was 300m (+-1000ft), which already felt like it was miles away, and I only did that because I wanted a flyover shot while looking down. A stable connection is way more important to me, and in this case it has shown itself quite capable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82