DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Friend Found a Mavic Pro Crashed On top of a Building

drumbum961

Reactions
I'm trying to help my buddy figure out weather or not he can keep and use this drone.

They got in touch with Police and kept the drone at the office where the construction site is it was found at for 3 weeks. The drone was operated illegally and I'm sure the guy that lost it didn't want to risk a run in with the law to get his drone back.

Anyway, at this point, I'd love to help my friend repair this mavic and have him get a controller and battery for it. Anybody know if there is anything I'll run into in the app or something that will prevent a lost drone from operating properly for a finders keepers type of situation?

Thanks,
Keith

Just post it around. If you're flying beyond VLOS and you lose your Mavic, you're breaking the law. Do you suddenly not want it back? I doubt it.
If you post it around on here, Craigslist, local Facebook groups and you hear nothing back, only then keep it.

Reactions: cocolim
Just post it around. If you're flying beyond VLOS and you lose your Mavic, you're breaking the law. Do you suddenly not want it back? I doubt it.
If you post it around on here, Craigslist, local Facebook groups and you hear nothing back, only then keep it.
Doesn't really sound like OP wants to find the owner TBH. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's definitely the vibe I'm getting from this post.

Reactions: BIGLUG24 and ale275
I hear you guys and trust me when I say my buddy has tried to do whatever he could think of to find the owner. Reason I say the owner probably doesn't want to take the risk is because they just outlawed drones in Portland City Limits. Harsh fines and serious face slap if your caught.

Not sure what to do at this point but give up on the owner. It's been more than a month and he's not going to try to find this guy the rest of his life. I'm excited for him to get a new drone out of the deal since the owner cannot be found.

Reactions: Piggy
Laws/Rules/Guidelines have been debated forever in here so lets not get off the topic from the OP and start something else . I have not seen any post answering the OP .
@drumbum961 Just get another controller and battery and see what issues it might have. You will have to bind it to the unit he has but nothing I know off in the app is going to stop you. You will have to make a account to
get started but just from there with it and Welcome to our forum .

Reactions: tedten
You can contact DJI or the FAA to fine the owner the Mavic should be registered with the FAA and also DJI by s/n you also can put a ad in
Mavicpliots.com in the lost and found After that i would just keep it

You can contact DJI or the FAA to fine the owner the Mavic should be registered with the FAA and also DJI by s/n you also can put a ad in
Mavicpliots.com in the lost and found After that i would just keep it
Neither will do anything to help find the owner.

I hear you guys and trust me when I say my buddy has tried to do whatever he could think of to find the owner. Reason I say the owner probably doesn't want to take the risk is because they just outlawed drones in Portland City Limits. Harsh fines and serious face slap if your caught.

Not sure what to do at this point but give up on the owner. It's been more than a month and he's not going to try to find this guy the rest of his life. I'm excited for him to get a new drone out of the deal since the owner cannot be found.
I think if you push the point the City of Portland would lose

Reactions: KentA
Portland, Oregon?

What laws? Depending on where as part of Portland is too close to PDX to fly but there are certainly legal areas.

Pretty sure DJI can let you know who the owner is. You have to register with them to fly.

Reactions: BIGLUG24
Do you know if it's damaged or still operational? Can it still be powered on? You could connect via Wifi to check before buying RC. It'll still cost you a few hundred to get the gear you need, charger RC, etc. And potentially to repair the drone. And you won't have the option for DJI Care Refresh.
The owner spent a few hundred on the drone, I am pretty sure he'll want it back, without going through official channels that could get him fined or charged for breaking the law. See if you can find the owner, get like a $100 bounty from him. Then your friend can decide if he wants to put that towards a NEW Mavic.

I'm trying to help my buddy figure out weather or not he can keep and use this drone.

They got in touch with Police and kept the drone at the office where the construction site is it was found at for 3 weeks. The drone was operated illegally and I'm sure the guy that lost it didn't want to risk a run in with the law to get his drone back.

Anyway, at this point, I'd love to help my friend repair this mavic and have him get a controller and battery for it. Anybody know if there is anything I'll run into in the app or something that will prevent a lost drone from operating properly for a finders keepers type of situation?

Thanks,
Keith
There us a serial number on the drone. Contact DJI and maybe they have a record. I do not think you really want to find the owner.

Here’s a thought. If someone wants to fly their toy without id on it, it’s fair game as far as it’s ultimate fate goes. I put contact info on them and cross my fingers for an honest body.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR