DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Homemade Tablet Holder

ThreeGs

Reactions
When I discovered my BLU Studio X Plus d770u phone would not work as a screen for my Mavic as it had for my P3S I started looking for an inexpensive screen for the Mavic. It was looking more and more like the Nexus 7 II would be the way to go but it did not fit nicely in the controller.
I found 3D printable tablet adapters on-line but I don't have a 3D printer and my colleague who is happy to print things for me couldn't print as wide as the tablet holders needed to be.
My solution: Find a way to use my spare Phantom tablet holder on the Mavic by creating a mounting platform that approximates a regular phone in the Mavic RC.
After a little time in my workshop I came up with this:
IMG_5462sm.jpg IMG_5463sm.jpg IMG_5464sm.jpg IMG_5465sm.jpg
I did need to drill a hole through the mount to make it nice and secure. In fact, that's the only fastener through the wood. The "front" threaded mount just fits snugly through a hole in the wood base.

The used Nexus I found on eBay arrives tomorrow. I think I'm going to like this setup.

Honestly.... It looks better and more secure than them awful cheap 3D printed ones people are try to pawn off on fleabay.

Reactions: ThreeGs
Yup, that's the answer I needed :) I can make that :)
Have you had any problems with it sliding at all or do you have some rubber glued to it?

Yup, that's the answer I needed :) I can make that :)
Have you had any problems with it sliding at all or do you have some rubber glued to it?

No slipping problems at all. I improved the design a bit using 1/4" High Density Polyethylene. I ordered a sheet of it at amazon. I was worried the wood would start tearing up the rubber grips.

I bought two ipad air 2 tablet holders and while they did work the handling was bulky and awkward. Resembled the dji P3 controller only bigger. I decided parts of the folding arms on the RC controller had to go. They really didn't serve a purpose and had no internal important parts to worry about. I carefully sawed off as shown in the pictures and cleaned them up a bit.

I also wanted a tablet holder that could be highly compacted and fold down to a very small package for travel. I wanted it to just slip on.

I soon discovered holding the ipad was a bit tiresome, even for 15-25 minute flights that took advantage of the Mavic's battery. So I added a simple adjustable neck strap

Materials included some 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum bar, a couple of flat head 8-32 x 1/2" screws, 2 6-32 x 1" screws and nuts, 2 8-32 nylon wingnuts, and a couple key rings for the strap.

I had a shorter USB to Lightning cable but I like this one that is 1 M long with a right angle connectors. DSC04406s.jpg DSC04408s.jpg DSC04409s.jpg DSC04411s.jpg

I also have a fold down flat ipad air 2 sun shade that slips over the controller and the ipad with cutouts in the back so the RC sticks out and you can reach the controls from around the outside. Only the ipad is in the shade of the box. That is commercially available but I modified it with some cutouts so it will slip over the RC unit.

Resources:
Amazon.com: Micord 90-degree Braided Lightning to USB Cable, 3.3FT Apple USB Data Sync Charge Cable for iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6S/6, iPhone 5/5S/5C (Grey): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Threeking FPV Monitor Sunshade Sun Hood Sun visor for DJI Phantom 4/4Pro/3 and Inspire 1 Transmitter (9.7 inch Sunshade): Electronics

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
Sun Shade attached:

DSC04412s.jpg DSC04415s.jpg DSC04416s.jpg

Note- I'm still not 100% with the sun shade. Work in progress. Always!

Last edited:
Looks really good!! I did similar but used plexiglass cut to size and some tape on edges to increase width to hold firm. I made a hole in it so I could fit the iPad cable up its working nice. Kudos on a good job!!

HTfEifV.jpg

ZOk8Sic.jpg

cVMTQaj.jpg

Reactions: newguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000