DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My impressionsl of Mini 3 and EXP

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I like my Mini 3 pro but there are moments, even in Cine mode when I felt it wasn't as controllable as I'd like. I've got the pitch and yaw and speed/smoothness settings pretty much where I want them. Fore aft movement generally hasn't been an issue for me as when going forward we can rely on the camera to help us navigate. It's side to side movements that always spooked me. I thought that perhaps, at least in Cine mode I would make things more predictable. But the settings were kind of a surprise.

What always bugged me about side to side movement is that if I got just a little too heavy on the right stick the Mini 3 would just SHOOT right or left, far faster than I intended. I had to be so gentle on the stick and though I had it set to the gentlest setting, but to no avail. Perhaps I had it backwards? So I inverted the settings for right and left movement. And to my surprise there was no change!!! Any fast movement of the right stick, right or left the Mini 3 wouldmake an abrupt movement.

To my surprise, what seems to work the best for me is when the EXP settings are straight-lined on the curves. The drone can still be a little more abrupt than I think it should be relative to stick movement, but at least there is more subtlety than if the curves went in either direction. Strange, no?

Has anyone else played around with the EXP settings, particularly in the Cine mode?

Not in cine mode but have reg mode and still not happy.
I’ll figure it out but right when I got it where I think I want it
i find I don’t. Still only one battery so time is limited with it
in the air and when I have time to fly it’s bad windy. 🤷‍♂️

the expo curves are linear ,so a straight line will start off immediately ,and then as the stick is moved the drone will move in a corresponding fashion ,depending on the speed of the sticks movement, if you want the drone to respond less to a given stick movement ,then a negative curve will mean that it will require more stick movement to initiate a response from the drone, and of course ,the opposite affect will happen if a positive curve is used ,all that does is change the start and stop points , i prefer to have a almost straight line ,to control the drone ,

the expo curves are linear ,so a straight line will start off immediately ,and then as the stick is moved the drone will move in a corresponding fashion ,depending on the speed of the sticks movement, if you want the drone to respond less to a given stick movement ,then a negative curve will mean that it will require more stick movement to initiate a response from the drone, and of course ,the opposite affect will happen if a positive curve is used ,all that does is change the start and stop points , i prefer to have a almost straight line ,to control the drone ,
I’ve tried that and it’s not working for me. Guess it’s what you are
used to flying with and still trying to get it to respond like my M2P.

Reactions: old man mavic
Vindibona1 and I have discussed this and I just can’t get mine tuned in. Maybe I just need a heavier drone. My original Mini
i couldn’t deal with and gifted it. Hate to buy the M3P till after Christmas. And maybe there will be another one come out.
Sorry didn’t mean to jump your OP @vindibona1

I know my 2S isn't the same, but this might be a good starting place. I have all the expos set at maximum down on the left side of the graph. With the drone hovering in front of me, in the advanced gimbal settings giving full yaw stick, I set the maximum yaw speed where I want it. I then set smoothness for minimal overshoot at this setting. Then pitch speed and smoothness. I do this for all three speeds and get very smooth controllable movement with adequate yaw and pitch speeds.

I too have set an s curve as many of us have, still not happy with it though.
It feels a bit "odd" as you point out, still no where near as happy with the xp as i was with my mav pro and mav pro 2.
I might try the straight line too.

Reactions: dirkclod
I like my Mini 3 pro but there are moments, even in Cine mode when I felt it wasn't as controllable as I'd like. I've got the pitch and yaw and speed/smoothness settings pretty much where I want them. Fore aft movement generally hasn't been an issue for me as when going forward we can rely on the camera to help us navigate. It's side to side movements that always spooked me. I thought that perhaps, at least in Cine mode I would make things more predictable. But the settings were kind of a surprise.

What always bugged me about side to side movement is that if I got just a little too heavy on the right stick the Mini 3 would just SHOOT right or left, far faster than I intended. I had to be so gentle on the stick and though I had it set to the gentlest setting, but to no avail. Perhaps I had it backwards? So I inverted the settings for right and left movement. And to my surprise there was no change!!! Any fast movement of the right stick, right or left the Mini 3 wouldmake an abrupt movement.

To my surprise, what seems to work the best for me is when the EXP settings are straight-lined on the curves. The drone can still be a little more abrupt than I think it should be relative to stick movement, but at least there is more subtlety than if the curves went in either direction. Strange, no?

Has anyone else played around with the EXP settings, particularly in the Cine mode?
My experience was exactly the same as what you wrote. It's a little annoying to have to keep such a close eye on the side to side movement when it should be slower in that mode.

One of the major gripes of a hell of a lot of DJI users was the replacement of 'tripod' mode with 'cine'. As a Mavic 2 user, 'tripod' served me well, being butter smooth and snail-slow. I haven't mucked about with the expo curves yet, but from all accounts, even damped down, cine mode is still a bit too frisky compared to tripod.

Reactions: TTP and vindibona1
One of the major gripes of a hell of a lot of DJI users was the replacement of 'tripod' mode with 'cine'. As a Mavic 2 user, 'tripod' served me well, being butter smooth and snail-slow. I haven't mucked about with the expo curves yet, but from all accounts, even damped down, cine mode is still a bit too frisky compared to tripod.
Yeah... Cine mode puts max speed at around 11mph while tripod mode, I think limits speed to 2.5 mph. Regardless of the accuracy of my MPH statement, the max speed differences between cine and tripod are exponential. It is very difficult to get jerky movements with tripod while very easy with cine, even with speed, smoothness and EXP tamped down.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka